Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

So I printed some labels for some of the series I'm displaying in magazine holders, and they look pretty good. Just took the title-text logo for the series, put it on a slide in Powerpoint, sized it to about 8cm (the width of the magazine holder), printed, cut them out, and taped them to the front. I'm hoping to buy a few more soon and display more series like this. Any series or run with approx. 25-35 issues (or a multiple thereof) fits great in these things, so right now I have four: Thor: God of Thunder (25 issues), Uncanny Avengers (25 issues + 1 annual + #8AU), and two for Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (50 issues + Handbook + #0 + KOTOR: War 1-5). I'm thinking of doing one for Astonishing X-Men (48-68 + Annual), Star Wars: Legacy (two units, 1-50 + #0-1/2 + Legacy: War 1-6), Star Wars: Darth Vader (Darth Vader and the Lost Command 1-5, Darth Vader and the Ghost Prison 1-5, Darth Vader and the Ninth Assassin 1-5, Darth Vader and the Cry of Shadows 1-5, and 4 issues of Purge), and maybe another one for assorted miniseries and one-shots.

I'll post some photos tonight.

I have some long boxes, but the problem I'm having with them is that if the box isn't full, then the issues just fall backwards, and sometimes the board gets bent from it. I've tried sticking random objects in there, but it doesn't really help. Do people have advice on what to do with somewhat empty longboxes?

Another question for people on this forum: how do you store issues that are in crossovers (I mean pure crossovers, like Battle of the Atom), or annuals/specials that form crossovers? Like, do you store All-New X-Men 16-17 with All-New X-Men or with the other Battle of the Atom issues?

I'm thinking of keeping the Battle of the Atom issues with their respective series, and then filing the opening/closing issues as one-shots. But I'm not sure what to do with All-New X-Men Annual and Uncanny X-Men Annual (Secret Life of Eva Bell crossover) or the Uncanny X-Men Special/Iron Man Special/Nova Special issues (No End In Sight).

Thoughts?

Fantastic Member

DSC00515.JPG How about a spinner rack works nicely

Fantastic Member

DSC00516.JPG I also made a unit to hold my longs boxes . Built it out of 3/4 finish both side plywood and used 4 wooden rail spindles for legs cost about 75 dollars to build and took a day to assemble . Made it like a table with side . My first wood working project . Not bad for a mechanic .

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by John Keyt View Post
    DSC00516.JPG I also made a unit to hold my longs boxes . Built it out of 3/4 finish both side plywood and used 4 wooden rail spindles for legs cost about 75 dollars to build and took a day to assemble . Made it like a table with side . My first wood working project . Not bad for a mechanic .
    That's a really nice setup! It's not really for me, but it feels like nostalgia overload with the spinners and elevated long boxes

Can anyone tell me if Ikea's Liatorp line of shelves sags?

Fantastic Member

Thanks zachalia , now that you mention it , it is a little nostalgic . Was going for the comic store look that I use to see when I was young .

Incredible Member

Thread resurrection!

Okay so I finally managed to buy a home with enough rooms so that I can have a mancave. Me, my wife and daughter are upgrading from a 1 bed and den to a four bed. Or as I like to call it, three beds and a comic room. So naturally the issue of shelving comes up. The room in question is 12 x 12 and I plan to essentially have a hardcover comic library in there. I'm not a fan of IKEA stuff in general because the Billy book shelf I used before started to bend and bow under the weight of my Absolutes. And from what I see, the Kallax are probably better but I just don't like how they look. So my wife has floated the idea of built-ins. Has anyone done this? How expensive can these things get? I'm assuming if I want to use durable materials that will last 20 years I'm going to have to pay a lot. That said, this home we bought will probably be our place for twenty years at least. Longterm. If I do custom, I don't have to worry about a certain style going out of stock over the years...and I could customize for stuff as large as Absolutes and as wide as European albums... anyway, some feedback would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by pud333 View Post
    Thread resurrection!

Okay so I finally managed to buy a home with enough rooms so that I can have a mancave. Me, my wife and daughter are upgrading from a 1 bed and den to a four bed. Or as I like to call it, three beds and a comic room. So naturally the issue of shelving comes up. The room in question is 12 x 12 and I plan to essentially have a hardcover comic library in there. I'm not a fan of IKEA stuff in general because the Billy book shelf I used before started to bend and bow under the weight of my Absolutes. And from what I see, the Kallax are probably better but I just don't like how they look. So my wife has floated the idea of built-ins. Has anyone done this? How expensive can these things get? I'm assuming if I want to use durable materials that will last 20 years I'm going to have to pay a lot. That said, this home we bought will probably be our place for twenty years at least. Longterm. If I do custom, I don't have to worry about a certain style going out of stock over the years...and I could customize for stuff as large as Absolutes and as wide as European albums... anyway, some feedback would be appreciated.
    I will preface my comments by saying I don't have any experience having built-ins installed and I have not had any custom shelving built for me in the past. I'm not a wood worker of any type, but I can offer some general advice based on my own research in regard to trying to find an affordable solution for shelving.

Keeping this in mind, I will say that you shouldn't waste your time worrying about buying solid wood boards for your shelving. It's just not affordable for what you'd want to do. Some quality plywood would easily do the job and look just like real hardwood. Adding proper support will negate any sag issues without a problem. I'm not sure if you're planning on doing this yourself or hiring someone else to make some for you, but if you have the budget, I would recommend the later. Find someone you believe you can trust with the project and it'll probably save you the headaches down the line. Tell them exactly what you want and they should be able to give you a rough estimate.

You should look at custom built-ins as an investment as well. Since you are planning on spending the next 20 years of your life in that home, consider any cost an investment spread across those two decades.

Good luck!
    Last edited by danmar85; 01-25-2015 at 12:51 PM.

Hey guys,

Anyone have recommendations for bookends? I have been looking for a nice set of bookends, but it may have to go with the flat metal kind. There was a thor's hammer one I saw once, but it was very expensive.
    The Wicked + The Divine. TMNT. Uncanny Avengers. Midnighter. IXth Generation. Daredevil. Morning Glories. Street Fighter. Fables. Uncanny X-Men. Bloodshot. Invincible. Ninjak. Mockingbird.

DC will be releasing one with Batman and Superman, they look super nice but it's gonna be pricey, don't remember how much, but much more than 100 quid.

Quote Originally Posted by Canucked View Post
    Hey guys,

Anyone have recommendations for bookends? I have been looking for a nice set of bookends, but it may have to go with the flat metal kind. There was a thor's hammer one I saw once, but it was very expensive.
    I once thought about buying bookends, but concluded they only take up space where books could go. If you need bookends to hold up your books, I'd reccommend putting books with slipcases on the end of your shelf. Voila! Instant utilitarian bookend. Take it from someone currently using 4 bookshelves to store his books.

Quote Originally Posted by DrGregatron View Post
    I once thought about buying bookends, but concluded they only take up space where books could go. If you need bookends to hold up your books, I'd reccommend putting books with slipcases on the end of your shelf. Voila! Instant utilitarian bookend. Take it from someone currently using 4 bookshelves to store his books.
    I've been thinking of moving some book to the top of my bookshelves because they're filling up. I thought about putting my absolutes up there.

Organizing this crap is a never ending battle for me. I'm never happy.
    The Wicked + The Divine. TMNT. Uncanny Avengers. Midnighter. IXth Generation. Daredevil. Morning Glories. Street Fighter. Fables. Uncanny X-Men. Bloodshot. Invincible. Ninjak. Mockingbird.

Quote Originally Posted by Canucked View Post
    I've been thinking of moving some book to the top of my bookshelves because they're filling up. I thought about putting my absolutes up there.

Organizing this crap is a never ending battle for me. I'm never happy.
    All the top of my bookshelves have been allocated for my books for sure. Also, like the good doc mentioned above, I use the heavier slip cased books in my collection as bookends.

Quote Originally Posted by Taral-DLOS View Post
    So I printed some labels for some of the series I'm displaying in magazine holders, and they look pretty good. Just took the title-text logo for the series, put it on a slide in Powerpoint, sized it to about 8cm (the width of the magazine holder), printed, cut them out, and taped them to the front. I'm hoping to buy a few more soon and display more series like this. Any series or run with approx. 25-35 issues (or a multiple thereof) fits great in these things, so right now I have four: Thor: God of Thunder (25 issues), Uncanny Avengers (25 issues + 1 annual + #8AU), and two for Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (50 issues + Handbook + #0 + KOTOR: War 1-5). I'm thinking of doing one for Astonishing X-Men (48-68 + Annual), Star Wars: Legacy (two units, 1-50 + #0-1/2 + Legacy: War 1-6), Star Wars: Darth Vader (Darth Vader and the Lost Command 1-5, Darth Vader and the Ghost Prison 1-5, Darth Vader and the Ninth Assassin 1-5, Darth Vader and the Cry of Shadows 1-5, and 4 issues of Purge), and maybe another one for assorted miniseries and one-shots.

I'll post some photos tonight.

I have some long boxes, but the problem I'm having with them is that if the box isn't full, then the issues just fall backwards, and sometimes the board gets bent from it. I've tried sticking random objects in there, but it doesn't really help. Do people have advice on what to do with somewhat empty longboxes?

Another question for people on this forum: how do you store issues that are in crossovers (I mean pure crossovers, like Battle of the Atom), or annuals/specials that form crossovers? Like, do you store All-New X-Men 16-17 with All-New X-Men or with the other Battle of the Atom issues?

I'm thinking of keeping the Battle of the Atom issues with their respective series, and then filing the opening/closing issues as one-shots. But I'm not sure what to do with All-New X-Men Annual and Uncanny X-Men Annual (Secret Life of Eva Bell crossover) or the Uncanny X-Men Special/Iron Man Special/Nova Special issues (No End In Sight).

Thoughts?
    oh, man. I do this, too.
    I mean, use magazine holders, that is.
    I only do this for series I am currently reading from. And, of course, I only buy series in floppies when the series is NOT collected, and probably never will be.

I have my Alpha Flight vol. 1 in magazine holders (except for the Byrne stuff because that is collected) and it takes up three holders. What I have of Firestorm's 1982 series is in magazine holders because I am currently reading it. And I will be putting the Flash 1987 series into magazine holders.

I would LOVE to see any labels you have printed and placed on your magazine holders.
    "All it takes for sexism to prosper is for good men to see nothing."

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by danmar85 View Post
    I will preface my comments by saying I don't have any experience having built-ins installed and I have not had any custom shelving built for me in the past. I'm not a wood worker of any type, but I can offer some general advice based on my own research in regard to trying to find an affordable solution for shelving.

Keeping this in mind, I will say that you shouldn't waste your time worrying about buying solid wood boards for your shelving. It's just not affordable for what you'd want to do. Some quality plywood would easily do the job and look just like real hardwood. Adding proper support will negate any sag issues without a problem. I'm not sure if you're planning on doing this yourself or hiring someone else to make some for you, but if you have the budget, I would recommend the later. Find someone you believe you can trust with the project and it'll probably save you the headaches down the line. Tell them exactly what you want and they should be able to give you a rough estimate.

You should look at custom built-ins as an investment as well. Since you are planning on spending the next 20 years of your life in that home, consider any cost an investment spread across those two decades.

Good luck!
    Solid advice. Thanks. Yeah, I would be hiring someone. The place we bought is a 30 year old townhouse and nothing has been done to it since it was built except a coat of paint, so there are many renos we need to do. We plan to do everything at once if possible before we move in, so we'd get our contractor to do the shelving and all I have to do is give dimensions of what I need.