Default Do you have a favorite Wonder Woman story from the 1970s?

Moving on! Do you have any favorite Wonder Woman stories from the 70s?

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

The "Twelve Labors" storyline from Wonder Woman #s 212-222.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Astonishing Member

I liked the 12 Labors series. My favorite of that is the Black Canary story, so I guess that one. The introduction of Nubia is pretty cool as well. Oh, I think the end of the mod era guest-starring Catwoman is also great.

Probably the Orana two parter.

The New Wonder Woman” (Wonder Woman v1 #178-185, 187-188, 199-200) – After Robert Kanigher initiated a return to Wonder Woman’s Golden Age roots in issue #158, Denis O’Neil initiated another reboot in #178 with the opposite goal; to take Wonder Woman in a completely new direction. Wonder Woman loses her powers, drops the costume, Steve Trevor dies, she becomes a kung fu master under the tutelage of the esoteric I Ching, and traverses the world combating a global agency. The stories listed here highlight the initial promise of O’Neil’s work, excising the pointless and unfulfilling arcs that would soon dominate the run. If you adhere to the outline suggested here there is still going to be hints of stories yet to come, but don’t worry, this run has more dropped story arcs than the new Star Wars trilogy.

The Mystery of Nubia” (Wonder Woman v1 #204-206) – Issue #204 marks the conclusion of Wonder Woman’s jumpsuit era. I Ching is unceremoniously killed off and Wonder Woman’s memories of her kung fu exploits are erased. To draw in new readers and apathetic old readers a new spin was placed on Wonder Woman’s mythology; she has a sister!

The Twelve Labours of Wonder Woman” (Wonder Woman v1 #212-223) – After discovering a lapse in her memory, Wonder Woman withdraws from the Justice League fearing she has been tampered with. So in order to convince her otherwise, each member of the Justice League snoops in on her to record an amazing feat she preforms with the intent of presenting her with 12 labours to prove her value. A secret, final test occurs in the final issue.

Wonder Woman vs the United States” (Wonder Woman v1 #224) – A coup occurs on Amazon Island leading to the destruction of an American plane in which Wonder Woman is held responsible for. Can she not only contend against this rebellious Amazon faction, but the strength of the United States as well?

A Life in Flames” (Wonder Woman v1 #226-227) – The Olympian god Haesphestus seeks to destroy Wonder Woman as part of a pact with Ares to regain the use of his legs. This is one of the few Bronze Age stories that deals intently with characters from Hellenistic mythology, which, though ubiquitous in any modern story, was unusual at the time.

Tournament” (Wonder Woman v1 #250-251) – Wonder Woman’s role as ambassador to Man’s World is challenged by an Amazon named Orana, a tournament is held and Wonder Woman loses her title!

The Empress of the Silver Snake” (Wonder Woman v1 #252-253) – A cosmic bikini clad woman named Astarte and her silver ophidian companion come to earth with the express purpose to destroy Wonder Woman. As this two-parter develops the mystery of this argentum clad woman involves the amazons and even the origins of Wonder Woman herself! This is without a doubt my favourite Bronze Age story and was referenced during the final arc of Gail Simone’s run.

A Power Gone Mad” (Wonder Woman v1 #259-261) – Mars has taken over Olympus in Zeus’s absence and now uses his regal authority to tarnish Wonder Woman’s reputation, sending Hercules to supplant Wonder Woman and succeeding when Wonder Woman loses her bracelets and throws a tantrum, landing her in jail. Eventually Mars steps in and proclaims himself humanities new protector, though quickly it becomes clear that he’s a despot. This is another ‘myth’ focused story that is pretty good.

The Five Assassins” (Wonder Woman v1 #255, 262-264, 267-268) – Initially if you look at these issues you will find a some fairly generic, superhero stories where Wonder woman fights an international cabal of assassins that are tenuously linked to one another. That is until you hit issue #267 and stumble upon one of the few pre-Crisis stories featuring Animal Man! He’s great in this and has a lot of chemistry with Wonder Woman too.

The Reboot” (Wonder Woman v1 #269-278, 288-290, 295-302, 305-329) – This ‘arc’ begins with Wonder Woman abandoning her duties and returning to Paradise Island broken, still mourning the death of Steve Trevor (who died again in #248). Hippolyta, being one of the most over protective mother in literary history, has Aphrodite wipe Wonder Woman’s memory of her career and Steve Trevor, except, oh boy! A Steve Trevor from another dimension crash lands on the island and the cycle begins again. This is another attempt by the powers at DC to reboot Wonder Woman with a Golden Age aesthetic. Wonder Woman assumes the identity of Diana Prince, a secretary at the pentagon, and works with Etta Candy, new Steve Trevor and Colonel Darnel, just like (kind of) when Marston wrote her! These stories, like most of the Bronze Age are fun reads, but to really appreciate this run it strangely requires you’ve read the major arcs of the Bronze Age as towards the end, the turbulent reboots the character endured catch up with her.

INFO: The last few runs may not have been published in the 70's
    Last edited by Pinsir; 07-10-2024 at 09:21 AM.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Probably the Orana two parter.
    Ditto.

Runner-up is probably one of the 12 Labors. Issue#221 with Hawkman doing the narrating and Diana vs. Dr. Cyber. Loved the Curt Swan pencils (and the Ernie Chan cover)—plus I think it was my first WW comic purchase.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.