Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Anna57 View Post
    Wonder Woman and Catwoman are only 23????
    Catwoman said she was 23 in her own book (issue 2, I believe). I may be remembering WW's incorrectly but I do think it was said somewhere in early JL issues that she was in her twenties as well.

Wonder Woman is 23. When she left Paradise Island and first joined the JL, she was only 18. I don't like it much either and would like them both to be closer to Batman & Superman's age.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

It's best ya just leave it be bro

Astonishing Member

It'll be interesting to compare their ages Pre-Flashpoint and Post-Flashpoint.

Pre-Flashpoint, Bruce was definitely in his early-to-mid forties. Given that he's in his early-to-mid twenties when he becomes Batman (25 according to Year One), and around 19-20 years must have passed between Year One and Black Mirror given James Jr.'s age. (Not to mention Damian, who, in Post-COIE continuity at least, aged naturally).

Dick was somewhere in his mid-to-late twenties. He started at the age of 12, around 2-3 years into Batman's career. If we take it as 3 years, then its been at least 15-16 years since he became Robin (which would definitely put him in his late twenties!) Barbara was likely around the same age (Pre-COIE she was even older).

Jason became Robin shortly after Dick became Nightwing. Assuming Dick became Nightwing when he was around 18-19, that's roughly a decade into Batman's career. If Jason was 12-13 at the time, then nearly a decade later, he'd be in his early 20's. (Then again, there's the Lazarus Pit which may have affected his ageing).

Tim became Robin at the age of 13, sometime after Jason's death (we don't know how long). So actually, by all rights, he should be pushing 20 as well, but he's always been depicted as a teenager, so I'll go with 19.

(That's the problem with Batman being too old...its impossible to avoid ageing the Robins too...kinda the reverse of what happened with the New 52).

But in rough terms, it means that Bruce got de-aged by around 10-12 years (or more), Dick and Barbara got de-aged by around 5-7 years, and Jason and Tim both got de-aged by around 3-4 years.

It also means that the age gap between Bruce and various Robins has decreased (and among the various Robins). Where Bruce was once a good 15-plus years older than Dick, he's now around 10 years older. He was once over 20 years older than Jason and Tim, but is now around 11-12 years older. Also, where Dick was once a good decade older than Tim, he's now around 5 years older.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    It'll be interesting to compare their ages Pre-Flashpoint and Post-Flashpoint.

Pre-Flashpoint, Bruce was definitely in his early-to-mid forties. Given that he's in his early-to-mid twenties when he becomes Batman (25 according to Year One), and around 19-20 years must have passed between Year One and Black Mirror given James Jr.'s age. (Not to mention Damian, who, in Post-COIE continuity at least, aged naturally).

Dick was somewhere in his mid-to-late twenties. He started at the age of 12, around 2-3 years into Batman's career. If we take it as 3 years, then its been at least 15-16 years since he became Robin (which would definitely put him in his late twenties!) Barbara was likely around the same age (Pre-COIE she was even older).

Jason became Robin shortly after Dick became Nightwing. Assuming Dick became Nightwing when he was around 18-19, that's roughly a decade into Batman's career. If Jason was 12-13 at the time, then nearly a decade later, he'd be in his early 20's. (Then again, there's the Lazarus Pit which may have affected his ageing).

Tim became Robin at the age of 13, sometime after Jason's death (we don't know how long). So actually, by all rights, he should be pushing 20 as well, but he's always been depicted as a teenager, so I'll go with 19.

(That's the problem with Batman being too old...its impossible to avoid ageing the Robins too...kinda the reverse of what happened with the New 52).

But in rough terms, it means that Bruce got de-aged by around 10-12 years (or more), Dick and Barbara got de-aged by around 5-7 years, and Jason and Tim both got de-aged by around 3-4 years.

It also means that the age gap between Bruce and various Robins has decreased (and among the various Robins). Where Bruce was once a good 15-plus years older than Dick, he's now around 10 years older. He was once over 20 years older than Jason and Tim, but is now around 11-12 years older. Also, where Dick was once a good decade older than Tim, he's now around 5 years older.
    Barbara was also in that weird position where she was slowly getting de-aged (at least in relation to Dick). Think she started off 5-6 years older than him, and then had her age repeatedly retconned. I think in the Black Mirror, she might have ended up being younger than him (they went to prom together, but she skipped a few grades?).

How I'd do it.

Bruce: 38
    Dick: 21
    Barbara: 20
    Jason: 19
    Tim: 17
    Stephanie: 17
    Cassandra: 18
    Kathy/Kate: 36
    Damian: 12
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Cactus View Post
    Barbara was also in that weird position where she was slowly getting de-aged (at least in relation to Dick). Think she started off 5-6 years older than him, and then had her age repeatedly retconned. I think in the Black Mirror, she might have ended up being younger than him (they went to prom together, but she skipped a few grades?).
    Yeah Barbara is the weird one.

At one point pre-crisis, it was said that she was 25 when Dick was 18, and somewhere else she was half way between Bruce and Dick's ages. Post-crisis, they kept fiddling with her age. Sometimes she was older (Batgirl YO, various references towards ages), sometimes she was the same age (Nightwing Annual 2), and like you said, sometimes apparently younger (Black Mirror). I can see why they'd do that since they kept retconning in Dick and Barbara liking each other ever since they were Robin and Batgirl. Can't really do that (well they can if they want to gross people out) if the age difference is there.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Batman is in his early 30's, everyone else is either around 20 or substantially younger.

I don't really like Bruce being so young but if DC keeps with this "one IRL year = one fictional year" schtick, then Batman will be more appropriately aged in five or so years then we will watch as he slowly gets too old and winds up cloning himself.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by M L A View Post
    Yeah Barbara is the weird one.

At one point pre-crisis, it was said that she was 25 when Dick was 18, and somewhere else she was half way between Bruce and Dick's ages. Post-crisis, they kept fiddling with her age. Sometimes she was older (Batgirl YO, various references towards ages), sometimes she was the same age (Nightwing Annual 2), and like you said, sometimes apparently younger (Black Mirror). I can see why they'd do that since they kept retconning in Dick and Barbara liking each other ever since they were Robin and Batgirl. Can't really do that (well they can if they want to gross people out) if the age difference is there.
    Barbara's new identity: The Cougar!!!!!!

I prefer Babs being a few years younger than Dick the way it used to be. I don't have a problem at all with them having a relationship with her being slightly older. It does get a little problematic if you're wanting to tell flashbacks when he was 16 and she was 19 or whatever, but the age difference could be something that causes them problems instead of writing out the problems to simplify things. The age difference was never that big.
    It does feel wrong to me for Bruce to be this young, he seems more like late 30s. I don't think WW and Selina should be that young. I'd think they should at least be in their late 20s. I am influenced by all the pre-New 52 history in my opinions though.

The problem when you start to think of characters' ages is, you have to then think about what they do. Would Spyral really hire someone who's only a college junior? Would the Gotham underworld accept a 23-year-old mob boss in Selina Kyle?
    Hope is not lost today. It is found.

Funny enough, in the new Gotham series the actress that plays Selina is 2 years older then the actor who plays Bruce.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Don C View Post
    The problem when you start to think of characters' ages is, you have to then think about what they do. Would Spyral really hire someone who's only a college junior? Would the Gotham underworld accept a 23-year-old mob boss in Selina Kyle?
    If she is heir to a family dynasty, takes advantage of a chaotic situation and controls the underworld with an iron fist, then yes they will respect her.

This is the answer you need:

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Bruce: 31 (he was 25 in 'Zero Year' and its been six years since then)
    Dick: 21
    Barbara: 21
    Jason: 19-20 (he's not that much younger than Dick in this continuity)
    Tim: 16
    Why did they deage them so much?

Was this like some sexual fetish young lusting that someone thought would make comics sell better?

Would it really have been that different if they were their normal ages instead of what they are? Probably not.