BANNED

Default Ms. Marvel #8 SPOILERS

"You found a giant teleporting dog wandering down Cator Ave?"

Another fantastic issue, this time with regular artist Adrian Alphona back on the job. GENERATION WHY: Part 1 of 4

Kamala runs into Lockjaw (who likes hugs) and, after much cajoling, gets permission to keep him out back.

Side note #1: Bruno's room is almost completely dominated by an enormous hamster habitrail. This is never addressed again.

Bruno is able to track down where Julie (the mutant from last issue) was last heard from, and she and Lockjaw teleport out there. They find an abandoned power plant and fight one of the inventor's mechs. This machine also runs on people power, so Kamala takes him to a hospital and 'ports back home.

Side note #2: Kamala refers to Lockjaw as "Bizarro Dog" and his teleporting as "bamfing."

The next day at school, it turns out that someone managed to slip a tracker in Kamala's bag, and now a mech is attacking her school. Kamala gets hurt in the initial strike, and tries to activate her shape changing to hide her identity, but it doesn't work! Bum bum BUM!

To be continued.

Side note #3: the board in Kamala's classroom has Canada labeled "Snow Mexico."

Side note #4: the second most awesome dog in this issue is a pug who appears to hate the reader unconditionally.

The level of detail in Alphona's art is such a treat. This issue, obviously introducing Kamala's first connection to the Inhumans, is light on action but sets up a number of plot points going ahead in this 4-parter. If Kamala doesn't get outed next issue (which could explain her rushing to Attilan) she seems like she'll at least have to break masquerade to her friend (they don't say her name this issue, so I can't remember).

Lockjaw is a surprisingly great fit for Ms. Marvel, and I wouldn't mind seeing the team last for a while.

Enough of my gab though, it's late on the East Coast. What did YOU think?
    Last edited by ImprobableQuestion; 09-10-2014 at 08:28 PM.

*One of the students is dressed like Marty McFly and is doodling a Teen Wolf.
    *Girl in Media class has a Math textbook by mistake.
    *Ice cream truck parked outside the abandoned power plant.

I did miss the sight gags in #6 and #7.
    She is Kamala Khan... The Magnificent Ms. Marvel!

Astonishing Member

This series has really been enjoyable. I like the Inventor's method of powering his inventions, it's suitably creepy and villainous.

I adored Lockjaw here and of course the sight gags!

Another strong issue, and with the strong sales this series has going for it, it could run for a few years.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Myetche View Post
    *One of the students is dressed like Marty McFly and is doodling a Teen Wolf.
    *Girl in Media class has a Math textbook by mistake.
    *Ice cream truck parked outside the abandoned power plant.

I did miss the sight gags in #6 and #7.
    *A street sign on page 2 has a smaller sign below it reading "Do not kick sign."

*Another girl in the school has a shirt that reads "Keep Calm, I'm Persian like the cat" on the front and "MEOW." on the back.

*Return of the kid in full hockey gear

*A "Beware of Raccoon" poster on the Circle Q's dumpster has been graffitied to read "Raccoons are Great!"

*The article Kamala's class was discussing came from The Pedantic Monthly, seen in Kamala's room.

*Same panel as above, a textbook called Science -In Yo Face- (Jersey Edition)

BANNED

I also like how Mr. Kahn doesn't say anything during the "can we keep him?" scene. He opens his mouth and makes grand, expressive gestures with his face and hands, but he can't get a word in between her brother and mother.

So is Kamala and Lockjaw going to be the next Shadowcat and Lockheed lol

Invincible Member

Another fun issue! I'm starting to feel sorry for Bruno, his ego's starting to take a hit from Kamala getting to be the hero and he's kinda the "boyfriend role" without actually being the boyfriend yet.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by ImprobableQuestion View Post
    The level of detail in Alphona's art is such a treat. This issue, obviously introducing Kamala's first connection to the Inhumans, is light on action but sets up a number of plot points going ahead in this 4-parter. If Kamala doesn't get outed next issue (which could explain her rushing to Attilan) she seems like she'll at least have to break masquerade to her friend (they don't say her name this issue, so I can't remember).

Lockjaw is a surprisingly great fit for Ms. Marvel, and I wouldn't mind seeing the team last for a while.
    Lockjaw being with Kamala is referenced in the current issue of inhuman - also, now would probably be a bad time to rush off to Attilan given what's going on in that book.
    Also, I love the return of the sight gags and Kamala's actual eyes

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Another fun issue! I'm starting to feel sorry for Bruno, his ego's starting to take a hit from Kamala getting to be the hero and he's kinda the "boyfriend role" without actually being the boyfriend yet.
    He's more of the "Alfred" to me.

Quote Originally Posted by VJ. View Post
    Lockjaw being with Kamala is referenced in the current issue of inhuman - also, now would probably be a bad time to rush off to Attilan given what's going on in that book.
    I'm willing to bet that Medusa or one of her close subjects shows up to bail Kamala out next issue, and that will start the trip to Attilan and the origin discovery.
    Last edited by Myetche; 09-11-2014 at 03:06 PM.
    She is Kamala Khan... The Magnificent Ms. Marvel!

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

I liked it, still getting a lot of USM vibes which is a good thing.

Though will Bruno be Kamala's Mary or Gwen? Dun, dun, dun!

“Oh wow I picked up this series with 6 and 7 so this is my first exposure with this artist. I’m going to have to re-read this issue as it seems I missed most of the sight gags. The thing is even without them it’s once again a fun romp. Lockjaw seems like a perfect fit for this book him appearing with an [I like hugs] sign was just too adorable.

BANNED

And more of a Q for me (or perhaps a Wade from Kim Possible). I assume he'll eventually be the boyfriend, but that might be a while yet.

Invincible Member

I'm willing to bet that Medusa or one of her close subjects shows up to bail Kamala out next issue, and that will start the trip to Attilan and the origin discovery.

But he has such crush on her! I wanna be like, "Bruno! Tell her you like her before it's too late. Don't let one of those kids from the Young Avengers swoop her away before you've had your chance!"

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ImprobableQuestion View Post
    And more of a Q for me (or perhaps a Wade from Kim Possible). I assume he'll eventually be the boyfriend, but that might be a while yet.
    Undoubtedly. And I probably sound like someone's goofy uncle, "Why can't these two clean cut kids see how right they are for each other?"

But it's a testament to creative team that the main characters are so likable that I want to see them together now!