Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

Default Poison Ivy Appreciation 2018

This is an Appreciation thread for the long time Bats character:
    POISON IVY

First appearing in 1966 in Batman Vol. 1 issue 181, Ivy was a villain who could control men with just a kiss and could climb up walls like a vine. She gave Batman a kiss and he was hers, in till he and Robin stopped her in issue 183.

Sometime later she gets the power over plants, after a changing in her origin.

Her skin can change color and has over the years, from normal to green, and her costume has changed too.

She has always been the Queen of Plants and even though she is seen as a bad guy she does what she does for her "Babys", her plants. And has sometime even been written as a good person who does bad things or even an anti-hero type of character (in fact she even once to care of a bunch of orphans when they had no where else to go, she kept them safe and protected them), she has always been a favorite in the eyes of many.

She has been in a lot of Batman family comics over the years, as well as a lot of others. She has been written a lot of times as a best friend to the character Harley Quinn and has worked with her plenty of times.

Before the relaunch she was in a new title with some other kick butt females (Catwoman and her bff Harley Quinn) called Gotham City Sirens.

She has recently been a member of the Birds of Prey and is currently in the Batgirl Annual 2!

Use this thread to talk about everything old and new about the mistress of plant live Poison Ivy, show pictures, talk about issue and debate on things in a nice manner.

Poison Ivy is my favorite DC character, so lets get this thread restarted!
    Last edited by Dylan Davison; 04-30-2014 at 03:34 PM.
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. DC: Poison Ivy.
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!

I have mixed thoughts about her Batgirl appearance. On one hand it's great a writer tried to do something thoughtful and substantial with her, other hand though, wow, almost everything about it was cringe inducing. Awkward dialogue, clumsy characterisation, incessant babbling, three cheeses and a cheesy crust. Poison ICE.
    Last edited by nepenthes; 04-30-2014 at 04:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nepenthes View Post
    I have mixed thoughts about her Batgirl appearance. On one hand it's great a writer tried to do something thoughtful and substantial with her, other other though, wow, almost everything about it was cringe inducing. Awkward dialogue, clunky plotting, incessant babbling, three cheeses and a cheesy crust. Poison ICE.
    I have not read it yet, but I was hopeful. But that fact that you have said that makes me a little worried...we shall see.
    Pulls:

I just read it...it was alright. That Poison Ice stuff was lame. So I guess Ivy's state of mind changes with the seasons? So like she gets more crazy as winter comes? I don't know how I feel about it. Though I like that Ivy did not kill anyone in that issue (well one person, but spoilers), and she was rather a good person in it as well. I got lost around the baby part. I feel like there is so much more to be told about what is going on with Ivy.

I am for sure going to ask about it and SDCC this year.
    Pulls:

batGRRRl4ever

Other than the 'Poison Ice' line which I agree wasn't the greatest, everything else in Pamela's appearance I really liked and thought the depiction was really strong. And wasn't the fact around her mother something new for the New 52? I felt that this issue could really be a jumping point to start her own title, if DC were so inclined. I know a thing or two about SAD, and while the emotional affectations were exaggerated per the theme with her powers, I still found this new wrinkle for her character inspired.

Here is also a list of my favourite Ivy stories:

Batman #181 - Beware of Poison Ivy (1966)
    Batman #183 - A Touch of Poison Ivy (1966)
    Shadow of the Bat Annual #03 - Poison Ivy Year One (1995)
    Shadow of the Bat #56-58 - Leaves of Grass (1996)
    Batman: Poison Ivy (1997) *Graphic Novel*
    Gotham Knights #14 The Bet (2001) *Back-up*
    Batman: Harley & Ivy #1-3 (2004)
    Batman & Poison Ivy: Cast Shadows *Graphic Novel*
    Solo #6 Poison *Part of Collection*
    Detective Comics #823 Stalked (2006)
    Batman Strikes #38 Pretty Poison (2007)

As a general rule I like Ivy when:

> she's is either less killy or extremely crazy killy
    > less sexualized, emphasis on Beauty/cuteness
    > anti-hero
    > in singles or one shots
    > motherly, yet young, immortal
    Last edited by Pinsir; 04-30-2014 at 07:19 PM.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

My favourite fan images:

I like her New 52 costume. It is better than most others.

This is my favourite costume type. Sexy, but not overtly sexy.

.......I have no defence
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by batGRRRl4ever View Post
    Other than the 'Poison Ice' line which I agree wasn't the greatest, everything else in Pamela's appearance I really liked and thought the depiction was really strong. And wasn't the fact around her mother something new for the New 52? I felt that this issue could really be a jumping point to start her own title, if DC were so inclined. I know a thing or two about SAD, and while the emotional affectations were exaggerated per the theme with her powers, I still found this new wrinkle for her character inspired.
    Her mother was brought up before in the new 52 in the issue that Ivy took over. Detective comics 23.1 I think. I believe it was.

Also glad to see you back!

Ya it took me a while to get a hold of it but I kinda like her with SAD. Maybe she had it before the powers, then it grew with the powers. It gives her a mental reason for her crazy, other then her being evil. And its something that can be helped, I am sure. So maybe we can get a more hero Ivy now.

And I agree this would be a great place to start her own title. Like she goes to arkham, gets out, then her new series starts (written by Gail :P).

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    I'm a huge fan of Ivy when she isn't written as a two-dimensional generic psychopath.

Her appearance in the new Batgirl Annual was just about perfect. She's a force of nature. She doesn't consider herself human.....but she clearly still is. She wants to save the world.....her only failing on that front is in her methods.

Great character. Needs more love.
    And I think this issue gave her character reasons for her methods. The SADs tell us why she is the way she is. And it gives them the chance to help her get better. And clearly she cares about humans more then she thinks. She does not kill randomly and can show mercy and care.
    Last edited by Dylan Davison; 04-30-2014 at 08:08 PM.
    Pulls:

Spectacular Member

Ivy going murderous and stuff doesn't even make sense. She can seduce, mind control, create hallucinations and many other cool stuff. Why would she kill someone and have Batman chasing her? Also most of the times (when she is written well) Ivy has a point. I mean global warming, destruction of the planet, pollution, are all some very serious issues. I hope that after this annual DC will reconsider her part in the DCU.

Fantastic Member

Since this thread is likely full of Poison Ivy experts, maybe you can help me with a decision I'm trying to make.

In http://community.comicbookresources....n-of-Batman-66
    we say things we would have liked to see in a 4th season of '66, with the available actors and characters in 1968-1969.

I have always thought Jane Fonda would make a great Poison Ivy... Until I rewatched the Marsha, Queen if Diamonds. If recasted, she'd make a great campy Poison Ivy. On the other hand, sticking with the Jane Fonda idea, it would be cool to have them competing or fighting each other.

Spectacular Member

Where is everyone?

All-New Member

Hey happened past this thread and thought I would show you guys a poison ivy I did in my sketchbook a few years back. It's weird in the middle because the page itself was hard to scan on a little scanner. Used crayola watercolor and pen to draw it. Lemme know what you think. Poison Ivy Sketch

Quote Originally Posted by JohnWOlin View Post
    Hey happened past this thread and thought I would show you guys a poison ivy I did in my sketchbook a few years back. It's weird in the middle because the page itself was hard to scan on a little scanner. Used crayola watercolor and pen to draw it. Lemme know what you think. Poison Ivy Sketch
    Thats really good! I like the style! Very cool! Thanks for sharing with us!
    Pulls:

Spectacular Member

This would make a wicked T-shirt print.

All-New Member
    United Kingdom, Europe, Earth, Solar System,

Ivy Is so underrated. I can see if she appeared in the New "Suicide Squad" maybe for a cameo with the rest of the Rogues Gallery or in the Solo Ben Affleck Batman Movie that she'll start getting more attention. The Ivy on "Gotham" is myeh, I feel that if we saw more of Ivy in the show, doing more than just hanging out in Barbra's flat more Ivy fans would be more interested in the show.