Page 53 of 163 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763103153 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Hipster Punk Ivy by Dan Mora
    I think I get the punk part from the hairstyle but I'm not sure what makes her a hipster in this, since the design is basically her classic costume. Is it because it looks like it's made from actual plants?

Ivy and the Bat by Gary Frank
    Gary Frank should draw Poison Ivy more often .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think I get the punk part from the hairstyle but I'm not sure what makes her a hipster in this, since the design is basically her classic costume. Is it because it looks like it's made from actual plants?
    Clothes made of real plants, she's sporting mossy arm wraps, neon green nail paint and I'm not even sure what that dark gauze running from her neck to chest is.

Still, sexy interpretation of Ivy is sexy.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    I wasn't. I'm not even sure I know where that one is. I'm afraid, I'm thinking of Bronze Age stuff, but also Knightfall era stories, Hush, Black Orchid issues, Cast Shadows, Gotham Sirens or whatever it was called, etc, though there's certainly a range, and she's not a sadist, usually, in the sense or to the level of, say, the Joker. But she's not a nice person doing things because they are "necessary," is what I mean, she is getting pleasure, and does exhibit some compulsive behavior.

But, I think with the DCnU, she has been much more in control, though internment in Arkham still stands. So it probably is, if none of that old stuff counts, more reasonable now. (I still find it less interesting, and, really, even less sympathetic than if she's legitimately and practically mentally ill and traumatized.)
    In general, I find it troubling that comics push this notion that villainy is to be equated with mental illness, and I'm sad to see the extent to which that perception has permeated society as a whole. In order to be genuinely evil, people need to be in full control of their actions and carry out their dastardly deeds willfully and with full comprehension of the consequences. Mentally ill people cannot fit this definition because they aren't fully aware of what they're doing, and need society to sympathize with them and treat their conditions before something happens, rather than ostracizing and isolating them, which only makes the problem worse. Labeling murderers and rapists as "psychos" and "madmen" is totally unproductive, since most of them know exactly what they're doing and painting them all as mentally disturbed completely relieves them of responsibility for their actions, while at the same time painting genuinely sick people as potential criminals rather than people i need of help.

BANNED

I dont consider myself an Ivy expert by any means but I was bit bummed to see that I have read all the stories in the essentials list. Now I really want a modern Batman/Ivy story, and one that is sensible and spectacular like the 97 one shot.

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    In general, I find it troubling that comics push this notion that villainy is to be equated with mental illness, and I'm sad to see the extent to which that perception has permeated society as a whole. In order to be genuinely evil, people need to be in full control of their actions and carry out their dastardly deeds willfully and with full comprehension of the consequences. Mentally ill people cannot fit this definition because they aren't fully aware of what they're doing, and need society to sympathize with them and treat their conditions before something happens, rather than ostracizing and isolating them, which only makes the problem worse. Labeling murderers and rapists as "psychos" and "madmen" is totally unproductive, since most of them know exactly what they're doing and painting them all as mentally disturbed completely relieves them of responsibility for their actions, while at the same time painting genuinely sick people as potential criminals rather than people i need of help.
    Agreed very much. It's why I wish Arkham Asylum would be excised from the Bat comics or at least altered that it feels more modern.

It's funny that of all the things that are treated as dated in comics (the Invisible Jet, the Robins) the way mental illness is treated isn't one of them.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Agreed very much. It's why I wish Arkham Asylum would be excised from the Bat comics or at least altered that it feels more modern.

It's funny that of all the things that are treated as dated in comics (the Invisible Jet, the Robins) the way mental illness is treated isn't one of them.
    There are enough Robins around. And - hell, now I can't remember does Wonder Woman have an invisible jet right now?

In general, I do agree, especially when used lazily. I'm not a giant Harley fan or a fan of Dini's Ivy, really, because it's mental genre illness of convenience. (You enunciate that stream of words the same as saying "Piiiiiiiiggss iiiiiiiinnnn Sppaaaaaaaaace.")

But, I think that being traumatized, and having compulsions does help justify Ivy's traditional behaviors and her swings from extreme to extreme. I think there, when handled well, it does help her be more sympathetic. Cast Shadows goes to lengths to keep her, even when she's hurting someone, from being a "supervillain," under the same logic as someone not being able to stand trial because of competency issues. She much more reacting than acting, if that makes sense. I think you see the same in Black Orchid stuff.

I think she's better as a person with severe problems than as a straight up villain or antihero/antivillain.

Whereas I've never seen a Joker who didn't seem incompetent to stand trial or unaware of the moral ramifications of his actions on an emotional or logical level. Joker is genre insane, not mentally ill.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

I think Cast Shadows and Black Orchid Ivy can perfectly be labelled as an anti-villain. IMO, anti-villain to anti-hero is a pretty natural (no pun) progression (among other possibilities) for a character if you don't want them to get stale.

Quote Originally Posted by darkseidpwns View Post
    I dont consider myself an Ivy expert by any means but I was bit bummed to see that I have read all the stories in the essentials list. Now I really want a modern Batman/Ivy story, and one that is sensible and spectacular like the 97 one shot.
    Well, there is the Poison Ivy mini coming in January! So there is something to look forward to. Agreed that the '97 one shot was super.

art by Fred Benes

Poison Ivy #2 cover. Ivy coming in January

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    It's not just a gorgeous and fun cover but the image of Ivy seducing and bringing cops to their knees is a very politically charged and relevant one in the current climate.

Astonishing Member Old Man Ollie 1962's Avatar

Pamela Isley, Jason Woodrue, Alec and Linda Holland all attended to the same college and went into the same field of study. Was that Neil Gaiman's idea or was that already canon?

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver Matthew Logan1962 View Post
    Pamela Isley, Jason Woodrue, Alec and Linda Holland all attended to the same college and went into the same field of study. Was that Neil Gaiman's idea or was that already canon?
    It was Neil Gaiman's idea and first introduced in Black Orchid to the best of my knowledge. Alan Moore had previously established a connection between Woodrue and Holland in Swamp Thing but there were no references to them being acquaintances in the past.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

It's Black Orchid. He really put that together beautifully. And tragically.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    This reminds me that being framed for murder actually shouldn't be much of hassle for Ivy since her pheromones let her prevent most of the GCPD from actually arresting or bothering her. Though that would probably change once Batman gets wind of what's going on...

Really nice cover .

Also interesting to think how it differs from Harley's "getting arrested" cover and what that says about both ladies. On Harley's it seems like she's having fun with it while Ivy's makes it clear that she remains completely in control of the situation.
    Last edited by Frontier; 11-14-2015 at 10:56 AM.