Page 106 of 163 FirstFirst ... 65696102103104105106107108109110116156 ... LastLast
Results 1,576 to 1,590 of 2439

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    A major point made in this article is that the homosexual pleasures of viewers are generally ignored."
    That's because marketeers and media production houses usually ignore those pleasures when creating content. Also, there isn't always an overlap between say, what a straight man finds pleasurable and what a lesbian woman finds pleasurable. Case being this scene in the new Ghostbusters movie, catered to the lesbian gaze and which most straight men complained about.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    It always cracks me up how often people rush to the "you're just afraid of female sexuality" defense when ti comes to these debates.
    Your words not mine. Maybe if you would actually listen to what other people had to say instead of being so close-minded, you wouldn't be having so many arguments online about this.

BANNED

I don't think anyone is prudishly opposed to female sexuality, it's just that people don't want to see that become the defining characteristic and want the other aspects of Ivy's personality explored too. The problem here is that from inception Ivy was created with sex appeal as the primary trait and it remains the one and only thing people associate with her, not anything having to do with science or environmentalism. A movie Ivy that focused on those aspects over her seductive appeal would be a depiction unrecognizable to most of the audience.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    I don't think anyone is prudishly opposed to female sexuality, it's just that people don't want to see that become the defining characteristic and want the other aspects of Ivy's personality explored too. The problem here is that from inception Ivy was created with sex appeal as the primary trait and it remains the one and only thing people associate with her, not anything having to do with science or environmentalism. A movie Ivy that focused on those aspects over her seductive appeal would be a depiction unrecognizable to most of the audience.
    In both Batman and Robin and BTAS, her most famous adaptive incarnations, she was an uber-environmentalist and eco-terrorist. It was foundation of her character, with her sexuality being largely an addendum to take advantage of the male protagonists.

I think these kinds preemptive fears are unwarranted and, well, overly alarmist.

Extraordinary Member

Is Poison ivy really a lesbian or is it only Harley quinn she heas ever show attraction too. And even then that only when her humanity is still in tact, as her mutatui acelerates and she her compasion of human being dwindle isnt that when she tends to lose patience and distance herself from harley, her only allegiance becomes to the green.

Quote Originally Posted by CryNotWolf View Post
    In both Batman and Robin and BTAS, her most famous adaptive incarnations, she was an uber-environmentalist and eco-terrorist. It was foundation of her character, with her sexuality being largely an addendum to take advantage of the male protagonists.

I think these kinds preemptive fears are unwarranted and, well, overly alarmist.
    BTAS handled her sexuality with good taste which is what I've actually been arguing for. Batman & Robin did the opposite and is generally seen as a crappy depiction of the characters involved

SDCC exclusive vinyl Funko pack of Ivy and Batgirl (hmm, having them paired up lends credence to that tweet of Pam appearing in Babs's movie, or am I reaching? )

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    SDCC exclusive vinyl Funko pack of Ivy and Batgirl (hmm, having them paired up lends credence to that tweet of Pam appearing in Babs's movie, or am I reaching? )

Well, whatever the case, these two look adorable .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, whatever the case, these two look adorable .
    They do! Ivy there is also giving me Inside Out Disgust vibes

BANNED

That's because marketeers and media production houses usually ignore those pleasures when creating content. Also, there isn't always an overlap between say, what a straight man finds pleasurable and what a lesbian woman finds pleasurable. Case being this scene in the new Ghostbusters movie, catered to the lesbian gaze and which most straight men complained about.

Please don't use Ghostbusters 2016 to make your points, it instantly crashes and burns whatever argument you were trying to make.

I do agree that female sexuality should not be demonized. I just don't want it to be emphasied at the detriment of every other aspect of the character. I also cannot help but notice that the majority of the media's idea of what strong, confident female sexuality looks the same and is designed to appeal to the male gaze. You mentioned Bayonetta and while I do like the character, I also wonder if the message could have been gotten across without her having a move that involves her stripping naked.
    The male gaze isn't a real thing. Even ignoring the heteronormativity of the term, it doesn't account for the fact that A) Even straight women can be visually stimulated by attractive women and B) Many women find that type of sexuality to be empowering, or at least appealing. I know this because of all the female artists and writers who work on those characters themselves. Need a list?

Also, the Wicked Weave is Bayonetta's signature move and fits in perfectly with her established character and the game. Again, I think you need to re-adjust your morals.

This image

http://community.comicbookresources....9&d=1500831614
    seems less like female sexuality being defended and rather it being packaged for horny teens to jerk off to. What exactly about this screams strong, 3-dimensional characters?
    Have you read the book?
    Last edited by Atlanta96; 07-24-2017 at 10:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta96 View Post
    Please don't use Ghostbusters 2016 to make your points, it instantly crashes and burns whatever argument you were trying to make.
    Atlanta hates the new Ghostbusters?

Last edited by Confuzzled; 07-24-2017 at 10:33 PM.

BANNED

Atlanta hates the new Ghostbusters?

Me and many others.

IMG_1126.jpg

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    Is Poison ivy really a lesbian or is it only Harley quinn she heas ever show attraction too.
    She's displayed genuine attraction towards Jason Woodrue (who used that to manipulate her), Batman, and in some continuities, Swamp Thing (or Alec Holland). But her most meaningful relationship has always been with Harley.

Quote Originally Posted by GamerSlyRatchet View Post
    She's displayed genuine attraction towards Jason Woodrue (who used that to manipulate her), Batman, and in some continuities, Swamp Thing (or Alec Holland). But her most meaningful relationship has always been with Harley.
    Hush/Ivy was a thing for a while too. She also flirted with Deadshot back in the Ostrander SS run. There was potential in her interactions with Weather Wizard and Darshan from the mini as well.

Incredible Member

http://community.comicbookresources....9&d=1500831614
    seems less like female sexuality being defended and rather it being packaged for horny teens to jerk off to. What exactly about this screams strong, 3-dimensional characters?
    I mean.You can't really make character judgements based on a cover.Don't really think its possible convey the message that 'this is a three -dimensional character' using a still image.

How exactly is this catering to the ' lesbian gaze'?That scene just seems like friends screwing around at work which isn't something that only lesbians enjoy.What exactly was the complaint these men had?
    Last edited by Baseman; 07-25-2017 at 03:34 AM.