Page 13 of 163 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363113 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I would love for Ivy to at least get a limited series of her own. She's an intriguing character with surprisingly tons of untapped potential.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    I would love for Ivy to at least get a limited series of her own. She's an intriguing character with surprisingly tons of untapped potential.
    I second this. After Batgirl Annual, I got a crave for more antihero Ivy.
    Editorial seems to dislike her for some reason.

Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

I don't think they dislike her haha. Otherwise they would never use her. Which they are, just not a lot. This is not some vendetta against Ivy. If we start thinking like that we look like crazy fan boys/girls haha. They may just not know what to do with her, or maybe not a lot of writers want to use her.

But I agree, she needs a series or at least a limited mini series of her own. Gail did a great job (as well as Duane) setting her up and building her up. Lets hope at least that keeps going.
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. DC: Poison Ivy.
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    Preach. There is so much that can be done with her that hasn't been done yet. It's crazy. I think she has run her course in the capacity of a pure loony villain, making it that much more important to evolve her into a complex anti-heroine.

Spectacular Member

Harley Quinn was very bad this week. Conner and Palmiotti can't write Poison Ivy and the quality of the book is deteriorating fast. Cheap, bland jokes and Crossed gore. Harley and Pamela sound very stupid. Is it so hard for them to read some Poison Ivy stories first and then write the character? This is not Pamela. Doesn't look like Ivy, doesn't sound like Ivy, doesn't act like Ivy. 0/10.

I would like to see Ivy in Grayson for some reason. I don't know how to explain it but I think it could work.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
    I would like to see Ivy in Grayson for some reason. I don't know how to explain it but I think it could work.
    Ivy needs a book right now. And a capable writer. Simone raised the bar and Conner/Palmiotti write a mediocre/bad Ivy. Still waiting for Snyder et co to use her in Batman or Batman Eternal. Batgirl Annual was a big surprise and proved that Poison Ivy needs a book. Now.

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by retical View Post
    I second this. After Batgirl Annual, I got a crave for more antihero Ivy.
    Editorial seems to dislike her for some reason.
    No, no, no.

I am all for a more complex characterization of Ivy, but I would loathe for her to become an anti-heroine.

Anti-heroine Ivy has the potential to be more of a disaster than anti-heroine Catwoman has been.

Not to mention that Batman already lacks good female villains, no need to take away the only great one that he's got.
    "If you're afraid - don't do it - and if you're doing it - don't be afraid!" - Genghis Khan

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Red Monk View Post
    No, no, no.

I am all for a more complex characterization of Ivy, but I would loathe for her to become an anti-heroine.

Anti-heroine Ivy has the potential to be more of a disaster than anti-heroine Catwoman has been.

Not to mention that Batman already lacks good female villains, no need to take away the only great one that he's got.
    She works better as an antihero. Her best stories are where she is an antihero.
    Look at how good she was in Batgirl Annual or Birds of Prey and how horribly she as written in Forever Evil.
    Straight out villain Ivy is boring as hell.
    There are a lot of ways to portray an antihero. She doesn't have to become Catwoman.

I've never been a huge Ive fan, but the Batgirl Annual made me wanna read more of this Ivy. Don't know if an ongoing will work, but maybe some season themed mini series would do, or 4 minis Ivy:Spring, Ivy:Summer, Ivy:Autumn and Ivy:Winter.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by robert View Post
    I've never been a huge Ive fan, but the Batgirl Annual made me wanna read more of this Ivy. Don't know if an ongoing will work, but maybe some season themed mini series would do, or 4 minis Ivy:Spring, Ivy:Summer, Ivy:Autumn and Ivy:Winter.
    That's a great idea!

She works better as an antihero. Her best stories are where she is an antihero.
    Look at how good she was in Batgirl Annual or Birds of Prey and how horribly she as written in Forever Evil.
    Straight out villain Ivy is boring as hell.
    There are a lot of ways to portray an antihero. She doesn't have to become Catwoman.
    If you read my post properly, you'd have noticed I said:

I am all for a more complex characterization of Ivy

But that does not necessitate Ivy to become an anti-heroine, and I never said she should become a straight-out villain. Forever Evil is just a generally poorly-written story, and using it as the go-to for why Ivy should become an anti-heroine is really not helping your case. I could just as easily point to it and say that Batman and Catwoman make a terrible couple in general because of how their characters have been written there, when that's observably not true as evidenced by the amount of good stories featuring a Batman/Catwoman relationship.

Also, your assertion that "her best stories are where she is an antihero" is not true. Gotham City Sirens featured an anti-heroine Poison Ivy, and was an absolutely terrible comic with a dreadful characterization of Ivy. By comparison, B:TAS had some great stories with a straight-up villainous (but still multi-dimensional) Poison Ivy.

I haven't read New 52 Birds Of Prey, but you are the first person I've come across who thinks Ivy was actually written well in that comic.

Anti-Hero Catwoman: Robin-Hood-esque thief who only steals from those who "deserve" it and never harms the innocent.

Anti-Hero Poison Ivy: Eco-Warrioress who only harms those that "harm the environment" and never harms the innocent.

Slightly varying motivations, but general concept is the same.
    Last edited by The Red Monk; 06-19-2014 at 01:52 AM.
    "If you're afraid - don't do it - and if you're doing it - don't be afraid!" - Genghis Khan

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Red Monk View Post
    If you read my post properly, you'd have noticed I said:

I am all for a more complex characterization of Ivy

But that does not necessitate Ivy to become an anti-heroine, and I never said she should become a straight-out villain. Forever Evil is just a generally poorly-written story, and using it as the go-to for why Ivy should become an anti-heroine is really not helping your case. I could just as easily point to it and say that Batman and Catwoman make a terrible couple in general because of how their characters have been written there, when that's observably not true as evidenced by the amount of good stories featuring a Batman/Catwoman relationship.

Also, your assertion that "her best stories are where she is an antihero" is not true. Gotham City Sirens featured an anti-heroine Poison Ivy, and was an absolutely terrible comic with a dreadful characterization of Ivy. By comparison, B:TAS had some great stories with a straight-up villainous (but still multi-dimensional) Poison Ivy.

I haven't read New 52 Birds Of Prey, but you are the first person I've come across who thinks Ivy was actually written well in that comic.

Anti-Hero Catwoman: Robin-Hood-esque thief who only steals from those who "deserve" it and never harms the innocent.

Anti-Hero Poison Ivy: Eco-Warrioress who only harms those that "harm the environment" and never harms the innocent.

Slightly varying motivations, but general concept is the same.

Ok it's a bit late and I'm just expressing my opinion. I don't want to argue but Eco-Warrioress who only harms those that "harm the environment" and never harms the innocent sounds really cool. Something like Punisher. Going on a rampage against innocent doesn't further her cause. She is not Ras. Either way. to each his own opinion. Let's agree to disagree.

Ok it's a bit late and I'm just expressing my opinion. I don't want to argue but Eco-Warrioress who only harms those that "harm the environment" and never harms the innocent sounds really cool. Something like Punisher. Going on a rampage against innocent doesn't further her cause. She is not Ras. Either way. to each his own opinion. Let's agree to disagree.
    It does sound interesting on paper, but my point is that it's almost the same thing DC did with Catwoman (with eco-vigilantism swapped out for the Robin Hood act), and that did not turn out so well for Catwoman's character in the long run, and I'd hate for a similar thing to happen to Poison Ivy.

But yeah, each to his own.