Page 38 of 163 FirstFirst ... 283435363738394041424888138 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Power Torch View Post
    Poison Ivy joins Batman'66! At last! Been waiting for this!

Attachment 22321

BATMAN ‘66 #26
    Written by JEFF PARKER
    Art by LUKAS KETNER
    Cover by MICHAEL ALLRED
    On sale AUGUST 26 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED E • DIGITAL FIRST
    Can it be? Is Louie the Lilac really pushing up daisies? Batman’s investigation of the criminal’s apparent demise leads him to the abandoned Isley Nursery. But it’s a floral trap that awaits the Dynamic Duo as they encounter a new villainess, the one and only Poison Ivy!
    This makes me happy and the cover is lovely

Quote Originally Posted by Power Torch View Post
    Well at least we know it's out of the main continuity now haha. Since DC is continuity lite. Normally I would be really excited to read something with the sirens, so I don't know, maybe if the previews look good. We shall see. This could be a nice fun story. I am a positive person I guess haha.
    That sums up my feelings about this!

Ivy's not on the cover, but Justice League United sounds great:
    JUSTICE LEAGUE UNITED #12
    Written by JEFF PARKER
    Art by TRAVEL FOREMAN
    Cover by TONY HARRIS
    Blank variant cover
    On sale AUGUST 12 • 32 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T
    Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for details.
    A mission to save our world from cosmic calamity has separated Swamp Thing from the Green, threatening to destroy him forever. Only an improbable team of heroes and villains, led by Poison Ivy, can traverse conflicting realities and save Earth’s plant elemental from non-existence.
    Last edited by Green Ghost; 05-19-2015 at 02:14 PM.

Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

She leads the team!

JLU_12.jpg

JUSTICE LEAGUE UNITED #12
    Written by JEFF PARKER
    Art by TRAVEL FOREMAN
    Cover by TONY HARRIS
    Blank variant cover
    On sale AUGUST 12 • 32 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T
    Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for details.
    A mission to save our world from cosmic calamity has separated Swamp Thing from the Green, threatening to destroy him forever. Only an improbable team of heroes and villains, led by Poison Ivy, can traverse conflicting realities and save Earth’s plant elemental from non-existence.

Oops did not see that you posted it haha. Got to excited :P. Wonder how log she will be the leader.
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. DC: Poison Ivy.
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!

Great month for Ivy!!! excited for August…she looks stunning in the Batman 66 cover

I am a little disappointed with the '66 Ivy design to be honest. Was expecting something a bit more distinctive than her "pre-green" look. The classic wreath of leaves around her head goes well with the tone of the '66 show so was hoping it would figure into her design.

Oh well, at least the story sounds fun, and her being the leader in JLU #12 is incredibly exciting as well.

BANNED

It would be cool to see the old Bettie Page inspired Ivy look for the '66 comic. That picture was the first one I found but it's interesting too to see the other influences that went into her creation.

It would be cool to see the old Bettie Page inspired Ivy look for the '66 comic. That picture was the first one I found but it's interesting too to see the other influences that went into her creation.
    Yeah, I have read the article that compiled those photos of Ivy inspirations before. Don't remember if I pasted a link to the write-up in this thread. It's interesting that such different types of femininity were inspirations while creating Poison Ivy. Definitely underlines what we were discussing earlier regarding the parallels between Ivy and Elsa when it comes to their broad and diverse appeal being a result of both being blends of multiple female tropes in pop-culture.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Green Ghost View Post
    Source

ugh, Ivy written by Palmiotti again...
    Definitely ignoring this. I wonder if Conner is really involved outside covers. Over the top sexist crap with plenty of eye candy to "get the hands pumpin".

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by retical View Post
    Definitely ignoring this. I wonder if Conner is really involved outside covers. Over the top sexist crap with plenty of eye candy to "get the hands pumpin".
    I didn't realize there was discontent w/ Palmiotti here. The only experience I have of Palmiotti writing Ivy is in Harley Quinn. Is there some other example of his that is over-the-top sexist? B/c I never saw it in HQ...
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

trade-waiting - Ice Cream Man, Monstress

backlog - Blade of the Immortal, Mignolaverse, Promethea, X-Cutioner's Song

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Cheesesteak View Post
    I didn't realize there was discontent w/ Palmiotti here. The only experience I have of Palmiotti writing Ivy is in Harley Quinn. Is there some other example of his that is over-the-top sexist? B/c I never saw it in HQ...
    Perhaps sexist is the wrong word but, come on, every single Ivy panel is a sex joke or she appers in underwear LOL I'm fine with sexy stuff And I'm sure they will deliver some hot girl on girl lovin very soon No discontent w/ Palmiotti. Jonah Hex is my favourite. My post was a bit tongue in cheek.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Cheesesteak View Post
    Like retical said, Palmiotti Ivy is not really sexist but kind of infantilized and reduced to being Harley's sidekick/wink wink love interest.

I don't think it would be an issue at all if Ivy had more appearances in other titles, or at the least, regular instances of great characterization. Unfortunately, appearances are few post her BoP exit, and great examples of characterizations even fewer. This is a character who many people feel is meaty enough to carry her own solo series, Gail Simone included and as the results of these polls show:

http://comicsalliance.com/poll-which...own-solo-book/

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=poll&id=227

So it makes sense why fans would be annoyed when they see the great potential of such a character squandered and mainly used as a shallow caricature.

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by retical View Post
    Perhaps sexist is the wrong word but, come on, every single Ivy panel is a sex joke or she appers in underwear LOL I'm fine with sexy stuff And I'm sure they will deliver some hot girl on girl lovin very soon No discontent w/ Palmiotti. Jonah Hex is my favourite. My post was a bit tongue in cheek.
    Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Like retical said, Palmiotti Ivy is not really sexist but kind of infantilized and reduced to being Harley's sidekick/wink wink love interest.
    I can see that. The thing for me is I don't take the comic too serious. It's intended to be sort of comic-relief, almost satirical if that's the appropriate word. Facetious for sure. So I don't mind the characterization as much.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    I don't think it would be an issue at all if Ivy had more appearances in other titles, or at the least, regular instances of great characterization. Unfortunately, appearances are few post her BoP exit, and great examples of characterizations even fewer. This is a character who many people feel is meaty enough to carry her own solo series, Gail Simone included and as the results of these polls show:

http://comicsalliance.com/poll-which...own-solo-book/

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=poll&id=227

So it makes sense why fans would be annoyed when they see the great potential of such a character squandered and mainly used as a shallow caricature.
    Now this I can agree with. She made a brief appearance in 'Tec and Swamp Thing (and Arkham War?) but I was thinking of what else I could read that she's in, besides BoP, Secret Origins, Villains Month, etc.

I was also trying to think of good older Ivy arcs in general and all I could think of was Gotham City Sirens? I mean, you're right, I think she has great potential to lead an epic Batman or other Gotham title arc/case.
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

trade-waiting - Ice Cream Man, Monstress

backlog - Blade of the Immortal, Mignolaverse, Promethea, X-Cutioner's Song

BANNED

The Harley and Ivy dynamic can certainly be a lot of fun, but casting her as this kind of materialistic socialite couldn't possibly be more against what she represents. So while it's interesting to see in bits and pieces, it has to be balanced out by more thoughtful and serious stories as well.

There may be a political dimension at work here as well. Ivy has always been cast as this radical extremist whose ideas are terrifying, but sufficiently unrealistic to be easily dismissed. Or at least they were back when she was introduced, in terms of the wider culture war Ivy is arguably cleaning Batman's clock right now, young people these days are more environmentally conscious than ever while nearly all of the values that the Dark Knight stands for are being systematically demolished. Even the brutal suppression of petty street crime has come into the national spotlight and all of a sudden Batman looks more like George Zimmerman than some heroic crusader for justice. At the same time though, Time Warner is still very much on the establishment side of things, I don't think a "Poison Ivy takes on global warming" storyline would sit too well with the people in charge there.

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    There may be a political dimension at work here as well. Ivy has always been cast as this radical extremist whose ideas are terrifying, but sufficiently unrealistic to be easily dismissed. Or at least they were back when she was introduced, in terms of the wider culture war Ivy is arguably cleaning Batman's clock right now, young people these days are more environmentally conscious than ever while nearly all of the values that the Dark Knight stands for are being systematically demolished. Even the brutal suppression of petty street crime has come into the national spotlight and all of a sudden Batman looks more like George Zimmerman than some heroic crusader for justice. At the same time though, Time Warner is still very much on the establishment side of things, I don't think a "Poison Ivy takes on global warming" storyline would sit too well with the people in charge there.
    While it's true that Ivy's philosophies are still popular (they were at their pinnacle of popularity in the 90's however, which was probably why the portrayals of Ivy started becoming more sympathetic), Batman is hardly "George Zimmerman". I mean, the man is synonymous with "No Guns". And Bruce is responsible enough to accurately gauge the level of threat and then retaliates accordingly.

But back to Ivy, WB just released a big budget anti-patriarchy and anti-capitalist movie in Mad Max: Fury Road, where the heroes majorly comprised of women breaking free from oppression and trying to bring back life and fertility (including via plant seeds) to a world driven barren and diseased by nuclear wars. So yes, while they are consumerist, I don't think Time Warner would be against anti-establishment tales as long as they are refreshing and engaging. I have a feeling that the talent at DC though has no idea what to do with Poison Ivy. And that's what is holding her back. General ignorance and lack of creativity as opposed to more sinister agendas.
    Last edited by Confuzzled; 05-25-2015 at 02:12 AM.