Page 51 of 163 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101151 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    So...she's using her real name at her Botanical Gardens job? That doesn't sound smart...unless this takes place before Poison Ivy was a well-known Supervillain?
    Maybe she has been released from Arkham after successfully being rehabilitated and cleared off previous crimes?

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Anyone find the tendency to push any super villainess that becomes popular onto the path of anti hero slightly annoying. And it's distinctly a female villain thing to. No ones looking to turn the Joker or Darkseid into an antihero.

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    Anyone find the tendency to push any super villainess that becomes popular onto the path of anti hero slightly annoying. And it's distinctly a female villain thing to. No ones looking to turn the Joker or Darkseid into an antihero.
    But for Ivy the anti-hero angle makes more sense then just a straight up villain. Her intentions are good, she wants to save the enviroment, which would be good for all humanity. She'll still kill for her cause, but I think/hope the psycho-"kill all humans"-Ivy is gone. So we should get a more interesting characterization of Ivy in the future.

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

I think killing for her cause is a good place to draw the line. I hate when a good villainess is defanged, but with Ivy it's a different case because she has a more righteous cause. She just takes it a bit too far.

I'm really excited for January.

Magneto is the most prominent example of villain turned anti-hero in comics so I disagree with the notion that they do it only for villainesses. And as people have said, like Magneto it suits Ivy's philosophies and MO.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Power Torch View Post
    And here it is:

Sounds like it's coming January 2016!

It looks so awesome, I love it! So excited.
    Really dig the cover, and if we're getting a variant by the Dodsons this will probably be the first book I pickup different covers of in a long while. I'm not too familiar with the creative team, but Amy Chu seems so genuinely enthusiastic for the book and if the cover is any indication of the overall art then I have really high hopes for the mini. Hoping this really takes off and blooms (I'm sorry) into an ongoing for Ivy, as much as I enjoy her cameos in the Harley books I would really love to see her branch (ok I'm really done now) out on her own.

^Haha, the puns just roll off the tongue. I've lost count the number of times I've used "turn over a new leaf", "took root", "branched" and "blossom/bloom" in this thread myself.

Btw, Poison Ivy ranked #38 on CSBG's Top 100 DC and Marvel Characters list. Just a spot behind Starfire and two behind Sinestro, who already have their solos.

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Magneto is the most prominent example of villain turned anti-hero in comics so I disagree with the notion that they do it only for villainesses. And as people have said, like Magneto it suits Ivy's philosophies and MO.
    I never said they only do it for villainesses.

Quote Originally Posted by spyderbytes View Post
    I never said they only do it for villainesses.
    I was referring to matthew101281's post, the OP in that line of discussion.

Canadian artist Steven Waters created a series of minimalist posters depicting the Batman Villains and the reason they commit their crimes. This one is Ivy's:

Love how he captures Pamela's maternal instinct for her plants by equating them to her children. See the rest of the gallery here.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    ^Haha, the puns just roll off the tongue. I've lost count the number of times I've used "turn over a new leaf", "took root", "branched" and "blossom/bloom" in this thread myself.

Btw, Poison Ivy ranked #38 on CSBG's Top 100 DC and Marvel Characters list. Just a spot behind Starfire and two behind Sinestro, who already have their solos.
    Cool…my two favorite female characters, Poison Ivy and Psylocke ranked 38th

triptrip

Hi all I'm pretty new to DC but I'm mostly caught up on all Poison Ivy's stories. Loved her since i was a kid.

I flew through her stories without paying much heed to the writers and artists but now I'm curious. Are there any writers and artists who do her really well? (Aside from Timm and Dini. And I don't mind Connor/Palmiotti's Ivy; the whole series is basically the mind-trips and delusions of Harley from her perspective.) Can't help but notice the art goes to a whole 'nother level whenever Ivy's around.

Hello triptrip, welcome to this cosy corner of Ivy fandom! I'm sure you will love it here as we have a bunch of posters who very diligently update the thread with all the latest Poison Ivy developments in comics, shows, cartoons, video games and fan/professional artist work. And you may also discuss past Ivy appearances and stories to your heart's content.

With the nature of rotating creative teams in mainstream comics, no single team has managed to use Ivy as long as Dini/Timm. However, there have been a number of good writers who have featured her in prominent stories such as Neil Gaiman, Ann Nocenti, Gail Simone and Christy Marx. And you must have heard of the upcoming Poison Ivy mini-series in January with Amy Chu on story and Clay Mann on art.

Anyways, here is a pretty extensive list of the best Poison Ivy stories.

Batman #181: Beware of Poison Ivy! (Debut)
    Secret Origins Vol. 2 #36: Pavane (Neil Gaiman Origin)
    Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight Vol. 1 #42-43: Hothouse
    Batman: Shadow of the Bat 1995 Annual #3
    Batman: Shadow of the Bat #56-58: Leaves of Green (3-parter involving Jason Woodrue)
    Batman: Poison Ivy 1997 One-Shot
    Batman: No Man's Land Fruit of the Earth 3-parter (Batman: Shadow of the Bat #88, Batman #568, Detective Comics #735)
    Batman Poison Ivy: Cast Shadows (Ann Nocenti One-Shot)
    "Low" (Detective Comics #797-799 backstory where she mentally and physically destroys Riddler)
    [B]New 52 Birds of Prey #3
    Batgirl Annual #2
    Secret Origins #10 Poison Ivy

Batman #367 (January 1984): "The Green Ghosts of Gotham"
    Detective Comics #534 (January 1984): "Brambles"

Poison, Solo #6: Ivy as the archetypal female play-thing of men, told only as Brian Azzarello can, illustrated by the master Jordi Bernet
    Nature, Gotham Central #32: Orphan mother brutally slaughters a couple of crooked cops who are leaning on her kids; up their with Black Orchid for Ivy at her most terrifying.
    Green Ghost/Brambles, Batman 367, Tec 534: Vintage hating-on-the-man Ivy is literally slapped around and strangled by enforcers of the corporate establishment, Batman & Robin (Pre-Crisis Jason!). Beautifully drawn by Gene Colan and Don Newton.
    Tears of Blood: Batman #529, one issue from the Contagion crossover that works well enough on it's own. Why include it? Kelly Jones. Single greatest depiction of Ivy's lethal attraction ever. In a classic double cross and blackmail plot.

A special thanks to Nepenthes and JBatmanFan05 for their help in compiling this list (comments for the stories in the last section are courtesy Nepenthes). I should probably ask Power Torch to paste the list under "Poison Ivy Reading Essentials" in the first post of the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by MentalManipulator View Post
    Cool…my two favorite female characters, Poison Ivy and Psylocke ranked 38th
    My Marvel fav Mary Jane didn't even rank in the Marvel Top 50. Understandable though since she is not a superhero and there is stiff competition from the Avengers, X-Men and all their spin-off characters.

BANNED

I must be one of the only people who actually enjoyed Batman and Robin unironically. Granted even as a 12 year old it wasn't hard to tell that the movie wasn't high art or anything like that, but I did genuinely enjoy it at the time and didn't find out until much later that everyone apparently hated it. Obviously, Poison Ivy was the highlight of the movie, I've always liked Uma Thurman and she seemed to have a lot of fun chewing scenery and embracing the over the top campiness which you would never see these days. It really did feel like she jumped straight out of a comic book, they even managed to give her a picture perfect costume design though I'll never understand why they changed it halfway through. The really odd thing about this movie is that ended up becoming quite memorable and quotable, despite the fact that it never really developed any kind of cult following and isn't regarded as being "so bad it's good." Just try googling "what killed the dinosaurs" and see what the autocomplete suggests....