Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

I would bet that it is Jane foster because doesnt she have cancer? Maybe Thor gives her the power to save her when things take a turn for the worst.

Spectacular Member ThiefHookUps's Avatar

Originally Posted by Panic
    I imagine it's because after years of not having good Thor stories and seeing him jobbed right, left, and centre, Thor fans finally got a good run of Thor stories where he kicks some ass, only to have him shunted from the spotlight in his own book.

Quote Originally Posted by brainwasher View Post
    I imagine it's because readers on these forums seems to be more into bitching about changes and storyline than the actual reading…
    I don't think those two reasons are mutually exclusive. Though I agree with Panic. Best case is the series continues to be great even with a new character and worst case is it's a great jumping off point and I save some money. Either way works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMC005 View Post
    I would bet that it is Jane foster because doesnt she have cancer? Maybe Thor gives her the power to save her when things take a turn for the worst.
    Thor has already offered to cure her cancer with Asgardian magic and such, she refused. If things get worse, she may change her mind, you never know, but I don't think her becoming Thor is necessary, since run of the mill Asgardian magic (or other magic, or a mutant with the ability to heal, and so on. the possibilities in the MU are endless) ought to do the trick. But as of right now she has a pretty unshakeable 'no magic cures' stance.

It's hard to imagine Odin not knowing about something to do with Asgard. Then again did Odin die of old age or did Gorr kill him in the future?

Try this:

What if that wasn't Thor who Nick whispered to.
    What if that person believed they were Thor - enough to convince Mjolnir that they WERE Thor - assuming the "worthy" enchantment works like that.

Then you have the statement, "She IS Thor".
    So, ok, let's assume she IS Thor. After all, look at Loki lately. Man. Woman. Man. Kid. Man. Woman. Must be a nightmare to shop for. And he/she/whatever-the-heck likes tricking Thor. Something like this would be HIGH on the pile of great tricks.

So, Nick tells .... whoever... that they're not actually Thor. That Thor is under a spell. That the hammer they're holding doesn't belong to them. That COULD do it, and make them believe that they are not worthy.
    Who the "looks like Thor" might be, I don't know.
    Ragnarok, perhaps? Another Thor-clone? A temporary fill-in appointed by Odin until Thor-ette can be freed? The Impossible Man? Otto Octavius? Whoever.

All of which, while reaching a bit, would explain King Thor being HIGHLY ticked and never wanting to hear about those events ever again, least of all wanting his daughters to hear how their uncle had him wearing ladies underwear for an extended period - and would also mean that we've still got Thor in his (?) own title. As Thor. In ladies underwear. (When did this become a comedy title? )

Leaving... let's say Ragnarok... to hang around with the Avengers while Thor tries to sort this one out. Maybe with Thor's blessing, thereby explaining where he got Thor's axe from.

That, or I need more coffee.

The problem there is that, though the 'worthy' requirements are a bit poorly defined (as far as I know, anyway) they have never required belief that you ARE Thor in the past, several others have picked up Mjolnir and they never thought they WERE Thor.

Still think it's just Thor learning what Loki did to, well, himself in JIM. They have been foreshadowing that reveal for months now in Loki's book, it IS going to be revealed, and soon, yet it was conspicuously absent from the big secrets explosion earlier, despite the fact that we know damn well that this is a big secret that's being kept from him. It was also foreshadowed that if Thor is mad enough with Loki to want to kill him, just outright end it right there, he does become unworthy.

True. Any you're probably right.
    But, others have picked up the hammer in the past, and the only criteria has been that they were worthy - even if they weren't actively aware of it. Cap's astonishment when he managed it being the prime example.
    However, as you rightly say, those requirements are poorly defined.

Have we ever had an instance of someone fervently believing that they ARE Thor, and trying to pick up the hammer?

After all, if you believe you're worthy, you're certainly going to do your level best to BE worthy... a bit like hypnotizing someone into believing they're Mother Teresa.
    They'd do their uttermost to behave the way they think she'd behave.
    So... if you completely and utterly believe you are worthy - which implies your mindset tries to be that of a "worthy" person, and your actions mirror those of a worthy person... are you worthy? Does the mind control (or whatever) override any past actions, given that the "modified" current state IS who you currently are?
    Is worth a state of mind, or a state of being?

It's much easier when your weakness is wood, or rainbow coloured socks.