Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Isn't that the Enchantress in the splash pages? There would have been a time when she or her machinations at least would have been a prime suspect ...

All-New Member

New Thor also has his equipment/belt...that would seemingly lend itself to Thor knowing his replacement, and giving the gear (since he has his belt without needing to be worthy).

I wouldn't mind seeing Sif take the role...up her profile, let it ride awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    But i n preview pages for Thor #1, Freyja is on the moon with an obviously distraught Thor. I know she has been up to some somewhat shady things lately, but secretly arranging to have Jane pick up the hammer and for both of them to not tell Thor about it is kinda extra low. Also, how could be certain that Jane would even be worthy? I mean, yeah they may need someone to wield it until Thor gets it together to be worthy again, but if it was Jane under the guidance of Freyja, they should at least be upfront with him about it so that he doesn't think some stranger has come along and stolen it in addition to everything else.
    I don't know that its particularly low or shady. I mean, Thor's not using the hammer so it isn't like a theft. And of course we don't know, but I would speculate that Jane is worthy.

I also think its Jane because I suspect that what Nick Fury told Thor that made him unworthy is related to something he did to Jane, perhaps inadvertently causing her cancer.
    Age of Marvels and DC Next Dawn - Monthly Fan Made Solicitation Competitions on these very forums, make your pulls now! Want back story? Check the Wiki!

It's not having her pick it up that's shady, it's not telling him or anyone else about it. We already know that Thor doesn't know who is under that helmet, interviews have said not even Odin knows. But just think for a second what that must be like from his perspective, to see a complete unknown come along and pick up what has been his hammer for centuries, no idea what their intentions are, or if they will ever let him have it back should he become worthy again. That is just cruel if that person is someone like Jane, who must know what he is going through, and has the ability to ASK HIM. If they came to him and were like 'the frost giants are attacking, we need someone to wield Mjolnir against them. We think Jane may be worthy so we're gonna give it a shot, you can have it back later' I think he would probably not be super happy about it, but he would understand. Better in her hands than an unknown, at the very least. I realize that the mystery of who it is adds tot eh story, so I totally understand the need to have her identity be a mystery at first. But IF it is Jane, I think it damages her as a character. If they have a good reason to conceal their identity, that's one thing, but Jane doesn't have a good reason.
    Last edited by Raye; 09-13-2014 at 08:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daymare View Post
    This almost guarantees to me it is not Frigg. The change in her look to almost mirror Thor in this issue seems too intentional. Looking forward to it anyhow, but I hope the "mystery" doesn't last too long.
    I hope it's not a sex change by Thor.

Quote Originally Posted by Exciter View Post
    I don't know that its particularly low or shady. I mean, Thor's not using the hammer so it isn't like a theft. And of course we don't know, but I would speculate that Jane is worthy.

I also think its Jane because I suspect that what Nick Fury told Thor that made him unworthy is related to something he did to Jane, perhaps inadvertently causing her cancer.
    The Jane theory really makes sense because Marvel needs an exit strategy for when Mjolnir inevitably reverts to Thor Odinson. And the usual exit strategy is a finite limited lifespan, say a foretold death. Besides one would think that Natalie Portman would want to exit the role after at most 3 movies.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by jphamlore View Post
    The Jane theory really makes sense because Marvel needs an exit strategy for when Mjolnir inevitably reverts to Thor Odinson. And the usual exit strategy is a finite limited lifespan, say a foretold death. Besides one would think that Natalie Portman would want to exit the role after at most 3 movies.
    But if she was transformed into Thor, wouldn't she also become immortal??

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    But if she was transformed into Thor, wouldn't she also become immortal??
    I'm now thinking all Marvel is doing is retelling older Jane Foster stories where she experienced about everything from temporary godhood powers and immortality to near death, only cleaning them up and streamlining them for the movies. Also this time Marvel might cut out the Jane is unworthy part.

Astonishing Member Charlie_1981's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jphamlore View Post
    Isn't that the Enchantress in the splash pages? There would have been a time when she or her machinations at least would have been a prime suspect ...
    Yes, she is.

It's not having her pick it up that's shady, it's not telling him or anyone else about it. We already know that Thor doesn't know who is under that helmet, interviews have said not even Odin knows. But just think for a second what that must be like from his perspective, to see a complete unknown come along and pick up what has been his hammer for centuries, no idea what their intentions are, or if they will ever let him have it back should he become worthy again. That is just cruel if that person is someone like Jane, who must know what he is going through, and has the ability to ASK HIM. If they came to him and were like 'the frost giants are attacking, we need someone to wield Mjolnir against them. We think Jane may be worthy so we're gonna give it a shot, you can have it back later' I think he would probably not be super happy about it, but he would understand. Better in her hands than an unknown, at the very least. I realize that the mystery of who it is adds tot eh story, so I totally understand the need to have her identity be a mystery at first. But IF it is Jane, I think it damages her as a character. If they have a good reason to conceal their identity, that's one thing, but Jane doesn't have a good reason.
    If it is indeed Jane, then they would keep it from Thor thinking he would create a great ruckus about it and not wanting to endanger Jane any further.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by DurararaFTW View Post
    But the new Thor personally travels to the moon to pick up Mjolnir. And is already wearing a red cape. That doesn't sound very Jane Foster to me.
    Exactly, it has to be a female with powers and a red cape, so who could it be?
    And maybe she could be from the future - it is mentioned that even Odin doesn't know who she is and considering he knows almost everything from past to present and furthermore - the future could be the loophole.
    Someone from the future wouldn't be too absurd if you consider the many future paradox marvel had going on the last months.
    Last edited by speedy69; 09-14-2014 at 04:51 AM.

If they have a good reason to conceal their identity, that's one thing, but Jane doesn't have a good reason.
    I'm sure Aaron is creative enough to construct a good reason. As of now it wouldn't be clear, but then again the same goes for other potential candidates like Roz or Sif.

Thematically, it kind of ties into classic Thor mythos too - a human doctor health issues (Don Blake was crippled) transforms into Thor.
    Age of Marvels and DC Next Dawn - Monthly Fan Made Solicitation Competitions on these very forums, make your pulls now! Want back story? Check the Wiki!

Quote Originally Posted by Exciter View Post
    Yes, let's suspend all commentary. I was merely pointing out what seemed to be a dissonance in that person's "preference," since he liked Aaron's work on Thor so much but was still dropping the book.
    There's certainly no need to disrespect another person's preferences in order to state your own. Any "dissonance" (LOL) is only in your mind.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    I imagine it's because after years of not having good Thor stories and seeing him jobbed right, left, and centre, Thor fans finally got a good run of Thor stories where he kicks some ass, only to have him shunted from the spotlight in his own book.

I imagine it's because readers on these forums seems to be more into bitching about changes and storyline than the actual reading…

All-New Member

PT Barnum. And that's all I'm going to say.