Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Actually, one of the few who couldn't master Amazon training was Donna Troy, so they cheated and gave her a portion of the Amazons' power using the purple ray. She couldn't even jump over normal scale hurdles. Loser!

Quote Originally Posted by SeanT View Post
    Actually, one of the few who couldn't master Amazon training was Donna Troy, so they cheated and gave her a portion of the Amazons' power using the purple ray. She couldn't even jump over normal scale hurdles. Loser!
    Wasn't she a baby when they gave Donna her powers?

Extraordinary Member

Paula von Gunther, Gerta von Gunther, Olive Norton, and Wanta Wynn were a few who did, as I recall.
    To the same level as Diana?

According to a search I just did, Paula underwent Amazon training but had no special powers pre-Crisis. She was a brilliant scientist, but that may be because the training helped her unlock her potential.

The comic vine site lists Gerta [Paula's daughter] powers as "attractive female".
    Last edited by brettc1; 09-12-2014 at 05:29 PM.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Extraordinary Member

Olive Norton became a star level athlete in record time, but was at the same level as Diana. The fact she was a child when she trained may also have helped.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Extraordinary Member

There is no evidence Donna could not master the training. I'm guessing it was the wisdom of Athena that prompted the unusual step of boosting her abilities

Quote Originally Posted by wonder39 View Post
    Actually that happened during the SIlver Age-- they blessed her all "Sleeping Beauty" style...... why the idea that Perez was the first to have the Gods bestow DIana her powers still is around is beyond me....
    Diana being particularly blessed by the gods actually goes back to her origin story when you see the Amazons marveling at her feats of strength as a toddler, long before any Amazon Training could kick in. That said, the Sleeping Beauty type scene is shown many times in the Silver Age, most particularly in a few JLA stories and the introduction of Nubia.

The main thing to remember about the Amazon training route is that it can only go so far. Within the world of stand alone WW stories it is fine...usually. The idea that WW is only marginally stronger than her Amazon sisters works... until you see her...
    Hoist Paradise Island over her head and run across the bottom of the ocean as she did in the Golden Age or
    Pull the Earth out of orbit with Superman as she did a few times before the last crisis.

To that end, the Amazons have NEVER been shown to be almost Kryptonian level beings. Diana has. So there has always been something extra to her.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Javier Velasco View Post
    Diana being particularly blessed by the gods actually goes back to her origin story when you see the Amazons marveling at her feats of strength as a toddler, long before any Amazon Training could kick in. That said, the Sleeping Beauty type scene is shown many times in the Silver Age, most particularly in a few JLA stories and the introduction of Nubia.

The main thing to remember about the Amazon training route is that it can only go so far. Within the world of stand alone WW stories it is fine...usually. The idea that WW is only marginally stronger than her Amazon sisters works... until you see her...
    Hoist Paradise Island over her head and run across the bottom of the ocean as she did in the Golden Age or
    Pull the Earth out of orbit with Superman as she did a few times before the last crisis.

To that end, the Amazons have NEVER been shown to be almost Kryptonian level beings. Diana has. So there has always been something extra to her.
    All those extra midi-chlorians.

Couldn't One of the goddess give birth to the amazons being them goddess or Demi goddesses. Look at Hippoltya
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 09-12-2014 at 09:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackFeath View Post
    This is one of the reason why I prefer Diana's new origin over the pre 52's one... I don't like much the idea that the gods can take from her their gifts if she does or says something they don't like... I don't like to see her so dependent on them... still, I guess she will have to do something to regain her powers in the next issue, and maybe she will do something I will end up liking to do so, impressing the gods continuing to be Wonder Woman even without their gifts, maybe.

All in all, I am curious to see what will happen. (Anyway, wasn't she 'stronger' than Hercules and 'swifter' than Hermes?).
    Totally agree ... And you are correct ... "As beautiful as Aphrodite, stronger than Hercules and swifter than Hermes" been part of the character since the 1940's

That origin is a retcon done by Robert Kanigher after Marston's death in 1947. Prior to that Marston had imagined all the Amazons as pretty equal, Diana being the greatest amongst equals.

Quote Originally Posted by Darius View Post
    That origin is a retcon done by Robert Kanigher after Marston's death in 1947. Prior to that Marston had imagined all the Amazons as pretty equal, Diana being the greatest amongst equals.
    That is incorrect.

WW's first story appeared in All Star Comics in 1941. That "origin" story just had Steve crash land on PI with an already adult Diana. When Diana appeared in her own book in 1942, Marston gave her an actual origin. This is where we see the "made of clay" birth for the first time. In the panel immediately after Diana is "born", we see her uproot a tree at the age of 3 and and two nearby Amazon exclaim "Great thunderbolts of Zeus!" "Already our little princess has the strength of Hercules!" In the very next panel, Diana is racing a deer at 5 and an Amazon exclaims "The Queen's child is swifter than Mercury."

Additionally, in the story where Diana carries PI across the ocean floor (still a Marston story), she is the only Amazon who can do anything like that. If Diana is only marginally stronger than her sisters, then why wouldn't all of the Amazons have helped her carry the island?

It is true that Marston would always have Diana push the idea that with Amazon training all women could be Wonder Women, but he would then just as quickly give us examples of Diana performing feats outside the range of other Amazons.

But when we think about it like at Hippoltya she is the daughter of Ares and plus the amazons training could explain it. Although I would like all of her strength to come from training couldn't she get training from the goddesses?
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 09-13-2014 at 03:34 PM.

You can train a person to do many things, but lifting a planet is not one of them.

In the world of science fiction and/or mythology, you can push the limits of credulity and say that a regular person can be "trained " to bend steel and lift say a ton (2,000 lbs.) But planet lifting via training?

But I have to go back to the rest of the Amazons. Do they really have 1000 planet lifting superbeings living on an island on DCU Earth? I so, why didn't they just unleash them on all the rogue Kryptonians and Martians, etc who have shown up in the past?
    Last edited by Javier Velasco; 09-13-2014 at 07:55 PM. Reason: sp

Fantastic Member

Additionally, in the story where Diana carries PI across the ocean floor (still a Marston story), she is the only Amazon who can do anything like that. If Diana is only marginally stronger than her sisters, then why wouldn't all of the Amazons have helped her carry the island?
    Which story is that?

BANNED

I like the blessing/born of the gods explanation if only because it provides a reason for why Wondy is freakishly superior to your run-of-the-mill amazon.

For me, being more talented is not enough to account for that sort of power gap.
    Last edited by Lax; 09-14-2014 at 05:26 AM.