Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default POLL: Which Supergirl Do <em>You</em> Think Is Right For Television?

Which of our Supergirl picks do you think Greg Berlanti and Co. should be working to bring to television?

Full article here.

BANNED

Actually I might be in the extreme minority here,but I would have Linda Dangers be the shows heroine.
    -not attached to MoS
    -not flashy hero type
    -earth born angel take,could be more demons and stuff like that then villians.

Idk just thought it would work better

Quote Originally Posted by stephens2177 View Post
    Actually I might be in the extreme minority here,but I would have Linda Dangers be the shows heroine.
    -not attached to MoS
    -not flashy hero type
    -earth born angel take,could be more demons and stuff like that then villians.

Idk just thought it would work better
    She'd be my second choice after Power Girl.

Just Kara Zor-El. I don't think the poll should differentiate between which version, as other media interpretations rarely stay true to one form rather make their own spin. Since it was differentiated though, I voted for New 52 Kara just on the basis that its the most recent version. But again, their own interpretation of Kara will suffice.

Didn't have much choice but Kara Zor-El (New 52).

Spectacular Member

Power Girl or Linda Danvers.

I think the show will feature its own version. Just like Smallville, the Supergirl movie, and Superman the animated series all had their own versions of the character.

Re member

Agreed, it's going to be a new take on the character if it happens. I don't know how you could make a television program about the New52 version unless you did it along the lines of the old Hulk or The Fugitive TV shows where the lead character is in a new place with new co-stars every episode. A lack of a continuing cast of characters, theme, or motivation other than "poor me" doesn't make for compelling episodic television.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iopy View Post
    Agreed, it's going to be a new take on the character if it happens. I don't know how you could make a television program about the New52 version unless you did it along the lines of the old Hulk or The Fugitive TV shows where the lead character is in a new place with new co-stars every episode. A lack of a continuing cast of characters, theme, or motivation other than "poor me" doesn't make for compelling episodic television.
    QFT.

I voted for pre-Crisis Kara, but I highly doubt it'll be the same character as any of the characters listed. I suspect she'll have elements of previous incarnations, of course. But she's definitely not going to be any previous Supergirl, just ripped right off the page and into a TV show. Her origin may be different. Her costume almost CERTAINLY will be different. Her personality will probably have similarities to previous versions, but I wouldn't expect it to be a perfect mimicry.

Personally? I'm maintaining my stance. I'm hoping her personality if pretty much "Buffy the Vampire Slayer with even cooler powers." I've been dying for a true Buffy-successor for a long time, and Supergirl would do very nicely at it. I just want her to be fun, strong, and fearless to the point of quipping in the face of danger. She can have her angst moments, of course. Supergirl always has a note of sadness in her personality. But I just REALLY don't want to see that be her defining trait. Screw the self-pity. Let Kara be a girl who refuses to let the world get her down for long.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

I think Linda Lee Danvers should be the one for TV she was independent from Superman and it is a good start to establish her character.
    former Terrifan2

Peter David's Supergirl series would work really well as a template for a tv series. It's a great series to begin with, and it stands very well on it's own without having to refer back to Superman. The Earth Angel and demons elements are pretty interesting.
    It would need to be tweaked, streamlined, leave out the Mae/Matrix origin obviously. I do worry that people would be upset without there being a Kryptonian connection. I suppose a compromise could be met with a teen age Kara crashing in Leesville, adopted by the Danvers who find her, and then she defends her strange new adopted home from alien menaces and what not. Which sounds a little too much like Smallville, but it will be challenging not to be too similar to Smallville without getting too far away from Superman.

I dont really care, honestly. I just hope that whatever they do, they handle it right. "Superman's cousin from Krypton, who also happened to survive and land on earth, and is younger while actually being older" isn't a great concept to begin with. Kara has been handled well and she's had some great stories; the character itself is viable. But her origin is hokey as hell and I hope they spin it right because I dont see modern audiences just swallowing that.

Talking raccoon? Sure. Walking tree? Why not? But Kara relies on a lot of thin ice, moreso than genetically modified rodents or flora that evolution was nicer to. We have plants that eat insects here after all. We're already messing with animal genetics. Kara's origin requires a lot of suspension of disbelief, beyond the alien planet stuff. So I hope the writers have a solid hook to explain it.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iopy View Post
    I agree that the way the book has been written for the last two years it would make poor television. But if you based it on what looked like the direction it was going to go as of around issues 8-11, it'd be a great premise for a show. Fish-out-of-water Kara getting used to Earth with the help of her friend (Siobhan) and her brother while being a superhero. That's kind of what I keep wishing they would go back to rather than continually sending her into space with every writer change.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I dont really care, honestly. I just hope that whatever they do, they handle it right. "Superman's cousin from Krypton, who also happened to survive and land on earth, and is younger while actually being older" isn't a great concept to begin with. Kara has been handled well and she's had some great stories; the character itself is viable. But her origin is hokey as hell and I hope they spin it right because I dont see modern audiences just swallowing that.
    For all the New52 series' problems, the origin isn't one of them. It's very easy to understand if it's delivered correctly. And I still think one of the simplest ways to adapt it for TV and sidestep all the Superman issues is just to not have him exist at all in this story. He isn't necessary.
    Last edited by confusiongrows; 09-13-2014 at 04:55 PM.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Honestly I'd go for Kara not being blood related to Kal-El. Just have her be another Kryptonian who is "family" to him because they're all they have.

I think Superman (or Clark Kent) are highly important even if just for the first episode. He should be there and welcome her to earth/get her set up.

That or go with the Earth Angel remix, but then why have it be SUPERGIRL at all?

Re member

Quote Originally Posted by confusiongrows View Post
    I agree that the way the book has been written for the last two years it would make poor television. But if you based it on what looked like the direction it was going to go as of around issues 8-11, it'd be a great premise for a show. Fish-out-of-water Kara getting used to Earth with the help of her friend (Siobhan) and her brother while being a superhero. That's kind of what I keep wishing they would go back to rather than continually sending her into space with every writer change.
    You're right, it's easy to forget how different the book was during the first year. Established characters and locale, workable and understandable relationships and motivation, and the right seasoning of angst and melodrama without the spittle flecked rage the book descended into with the H'El soft reboot. That version could work, and Siobhán in her New52 incarnation would make a good TV character.

Quote Originally Posted by confusiongrows View Post
    For all the New52 series' problems, the origin isn't one of them. It's very easy to understand if it's delivered correctly. And I still think one of the simplest ways to adapt it for TV and sidestep all the Superman issues is just to not have him exist at all in this story. He isn't necessary.
    Her origin is no harder to believe than Superman's. And you could easily keep Superman in universe but not in the show by changing her anger at Superman into guilt about him. He doesn't know she's here. Survivor's Guilt over failing his parents and him by not being there for him as a baby, and missing out on seeing him grow up and become a man, keep her from contacting him now that she's on Earth. Robinson Crusoe acting as Buffy with a side helping of PTSD. Superman then becomes a sword of Damocles, we all know he'll find out eventually. But when?

OK, I take it back, New52 could work. Just toss out the last two years of of pointless flailing around and keep her on Earth.