Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

None of them. All of them.

This show (if it ever airs) should tie itself to NO previously established version of Kara in any medium. They should pick and choose which parts from ALL previous established versions of Kara across all media and from them, make a unique iteration, the best version of the character for THEIR show.

And Clark Kent is most definitely necessary. He has to be accounted for. Otherwise don't call it Supergirl, don't use Krypton and don't use that powerset. And don't expect any of his much much larger amount of casual fans to tune in.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Could always get Brandon Routh to play Kal. The poor dude is on the CW now, he would drive to the city and wash my car if I paid him.

He would make a good TV Superman, since we have our awesome big screen Kal.

Ultimate Member

They could always use Kara, but then give her personality traits from ALL of the Supergirls. That could work.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Honestly I'd go for Kara not being blood related to Kal-El. Just have her be another Kryptonian who is "family" to him because they're all they have.

I think Superman (or Clark Kent) are highly important even if just for the first episode. He should be there and welcome her to earth/get her set up.

That or go with the Earth Angel remix, but then why have it be SUPERGIRL at all?
    The second that would happens the shippers would go nuts. The drive to have Superman be with "one of his own" would be annoyingly overwhelming. lol.

Then again, I'm not a huge fan of anyone being a survivor of Krypton beyond Clark. So I can't pretend that that isn't entering into my thought process as well.

I do hope some good things happening with the show though, despite my reservations. The notion of bringing on Brandon Routh could also help, but they'd have to make it clear that he is not from the Superman Return universe. They do that though and he could be a good minor character/guest star who shows up once or twice a season or so.

Astonishing Member

To me the Peter David character is the only one that should NOT be used as a template. I wouldn't mind a series with her if we are totally abandoning the Supergirl concept. But if you are using the Supergirl name in anyway it needs to be tied to Superman else why bother with the name.

BANNED

I wonder what way they are going with this show,will it be straight teen drama stuff,young comedy,serious and grim?

Kara could work in any genre,but they already said she will be different than any other version of herself.

I bet it will go like Kara wakes up in her pod after decades of statis to a new world nothing like the one she knew before.she will find out she has super powers here and one person will find her and be her confidant through the show.she will try to fit in with these earthlings,and all the weird crap we do that any other species in the universe would think is retarded.overtime she will start helping ppl in secret,and as the series goes on be more visible,which will bring bad guys to her.if there isn't a suit already for her in the pod then I see her wearing plain clothes,probably looking more like wondergirl before the reboot than supergirl did.the person who finds her at first will be a girl exactly her age and take her home to her house,which will lead to weird times around that girls parents,lil brother,and even the family dog.

That's a seriously rough idea of where I think they will go,UNLESS they go more serious and sci fi,which will cost them way more money in the end.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    Peter David's Supergirl series would work really well as a template for a tv series. It's a great series to begin with, and it stands very well on it's own without having to refer back to Superman. The Earth Angel and demons elements are pretty interesting.
    It would need to be tweaked, streamlined, leave out the Mae/Matrix origin obviously. I do worry that people would be upset without there being a Kryptonian connection. I suppose a compromise could be met with a teen age Kara crashing in Leesville, adopted by the Danvers who find her, and then she defends her strange new adopted home from alien menaces and what not. Which sounds a little too much like Smallville, but it will be challenging not to be too similar to Smallville without getting too far away from Superman.
    I agree with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    To me the Peter David character is the only one that should NOT be used as a template. I wouldn't mind a series with her if we are totally abandoning the Supergirl concept. But if you are using the Supergirl name in anyway it needs to be tied to Superman else why bother with the name.
    I agree, with one caveat.

You can probably pick and choose whichever individual aspects from the Peter David Earth Angel Supergirl that could work toward the style and tone of the show. But otherwise, totally: if you don't like the Superman connection, you can lose the derivative origin, derivative powers, derivative insignia, derivative costume and most especially the very derivative name. Oh, and you can lose the fans as well.

There is NO Supergirl without Superman. Sorry. He has to be accounted for, in some manner.

RESPECT your roots, don't SHAME them.

Ultimate Member

I could see them establishing that Superman does exist, but then just not showing him (and only mentioning him every now and then). Maybe he's off in space doing something, or he went missing, or whatever. The danger with bringing in Superman full-on is that Kara (or whoever this Supergirl ultimately is) would end up being overshadowed in her own show.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    I could see them establishing that Superman does exist, but then just not showing him (and only mentioning him every now and then). Maybe he's off in space doing something, or he went missing, or whatever. The danger with bringing in Superman full-on is that Kara (or whoever this Supergirl ultimately is) would end up being overshadowed in her own show.
    I haven't seen anyone wanting this to be a show with Superman in every episode. The closest I've seen to that is mentions of having Clark Kent as a recurring character, which can be done without ever seeing Clark in tights. I could easily see establishing that Superman exists and that outside of being a sounding board for Kara, he handles his own emergencies and expects her to handle hers. After all if Superman can keep from popping next-door to clean-up Gotham City. why would he feel the need to watch over Midvale/Leesburg/Kara every week.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    I haven't seen anyone wanting this to be a show with Superman in every episode. The closest I've seen to that is mentions of having Clark Kent as a recurring character, which can be done without ever seeing Clark in tights. I could easily see establishing that Superman exists and that outside of being a sounding board for Kara, he handles his own emergencies and expects her to handle hers. After all if Superman can keep from popping next-door to clean-up Gotham City. why would he feel the need to watch over Midvale/Leesburg/Kara every week.
    QFT.

Although that brings up another question ... where would this show be taking place? We just had 10 seasons of a show largely based in Smallville, so I highly doubt that this will be the main setting. Ditto for Metropolis due to the DCCU movies.

If they want to leave Clark out and try to make it different from the Superman-Krypton mythos, they're going to have to go with Linda. It would also piss off Marvel. Deadline says that they are using Kara, but I don't know if there has been any more confirmation.
    Last edited by KurtW95; 09-19-2014 at 10:20 PM.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Reports are saying Superman's existence will be acknowledged, so working around him doesn't seem to be a necessity.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Reports are saying Superman's existence will be acknowledged, so working around him doesn't seem to be a necessity.
    Does that mean he'll appear in the show. If that is indeed so, I wonder if they can use Cavill or legal reasons would require that they cast someone else.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!