Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    That's not a bad idea. Try to find social groups that share your interests. I don't know if you are religious, but some churches will have organizations where you can meet other people. Be very careful and cautious about meeting people on the internet...
    Yeah, this board is a crutch but I wouldn't want to meet in person or take everything here or elsewhere at face value. Its just a positive distraction. Unfortunately I don't believe in organized religion.

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    What if there is no one to talk to? I don't like bothering my best friend on the few occasions I see him. How can I build new friendships? I was thinking about going to the gym or join a local sports team since I'm not in college anymore and don't believe in medication. I've planning my suicide for a long time but hurting myself seems to be a line I can't cross. I'm really out of reasons to go on, my career is going nowhere, my last girlfriend robbed me of some hopes I had left. As dumb as it sounds this board was a lifesaver.
    There's always someone to talk to. There's hotlines etc. Bother your best friend. I'm sure he cares enough about you to listen. Also, it's not a bother to turn to the person you consider your best friend with things like this.

Most important thing to remember is sure, today sucks, but tomorrow might not. Or a month later. Even a year. You don't know what's coming, but if you check out, you'll never know what possibilities you missed.

Please, seek some real help, suicide is never the answer.

All-New Member

Have any of you....

A- Established your source of depression/anxiety??

B-Taken an online Baron-Cohen test to establish the possibility of Autism Spectrum Dissorder??

I,m 56 in June and was finally diagnosed with ASD when I was 51.

I know where my issues come from and getting the diagnosis did,nt suddenly "cure" me but pointed a way ahead.
    I used to take Anti-Depressants,before my diagnosis but I no longer take any.

A single day does not pass when I think I,d be better off out of this world or that those around me that have to put up with me,might be better off if I was gone.
    But the punk in me just says "screw it".Aint going nowhere.Besides,Batman is out next week and I need to read it!!

By the way....it is THE Baron-Cohen.Sachas cousin is an expert in the field.
    Be honest with yourself and see if you,re on the spectrum.
    I only discovered when my then 16 year old Son took himself to the 14th floor of the Crowne Plaza hotel,here in Nottingham and considered jumping but the Police talked him down.

Don,t paste over a symptom,find the source of your issues.Deal with it at that end.

Good Luck,Everyone

RALPH (UK).

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    There's always someone to talk to. There's hotlines etc. Bother your best friend. I'm sure he cares enough about you to listen. Also, it's not a bother to turn to the person you consider your best friend with things like this.

Most important thing to remember is sure, today sucks, but tomorrow might not. Or a month later. Even a year. You don't know what's coming, but if you check out, you'll never know what possibilities you missed.

Please, seek some real help, suicide is never the answer.
    Well, I just did. The gist of his pep talk was have a chocolate, I'm busy with other things. Today does its best to suck especially hard as most days-off did for the past 6 months. Tomorrow work will keep me busy.
    Last edited by batnbreakfast; 05-04-2016 at 09:50 AM.

I don't know what you told him, how honest you were, etc, but please, make sure you're reaching out to someone else if he's not listening. There are systems in place to help. They might not be the best scenario, but sometimes even just talking about it, to anyone, can help lift the weight.

Stop planning your suicide and plan how you're going to get legitimate help. Please.

Extraordinary Member

I have been suffering as of late, but Civil War made me feel so much better.

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    I have been suffering as of late, but Civil War made me feel so much better.
    I thought to mention "the best cure for depression is a good book" and it truly can be. Not a long term cure, obviously, but it can distract enough, and invigorate temporarily.

Hobbies, things to look forward to like new comic day, or sports are also helpful. Again, in the short term, but it can help keep you going and hopefully enough to get you out of the current nose dive.

These things don't work for everyone. Some people have much more severe depression and need real help. Depression is so common, but we've stigmatized it and made it into something to be ashamed of or embarrassed about. That's the real problem.

It's important to remember how common it is. You are not alone.

Incredible Member

I don't believe in organized religion.
    Then you might feel at home with the Unitarians.

Or the Discordians.
    --
    The discussion forum for fans of 20th-century comics: http://classiccomics.org

Ol' Doogie, Circa 2005 GindyPosts's Avatar

I'm taking citalopram for my depression. I've actually been dealing with it for years but only this year did I finally do something about it. Of course, my first therapy session was a month after my mother had passed away.

My surviving brother is much worse with his depression, as he's been diagnosed with a more severe variety, as well as anxiety issues that affect him from going anywhere.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    I thought to mention "the best cure for depression is a good book" and it truly can be. Not a long term cure, obviously, but it can distract enough, and invigorate temporarily.

Hobbies, things to look forward to like new comic day, or sports are also helpful. Again, in the short term, but it can help keep you going and hopefully enough to get you out of the current nose dive.

These things don't work for everyone. Some people have much more severe depression and need real help. Depression is so common, but we've stigmatized it and made it into something to be ashamed of or embarrassed about. That's the real problem.

It's important to remember how common it is. You are not alone.
    It really is, I look forward to reading comics at night after a long day.

Ol' Doogie, Circa 2005 GindyPosts's Avatar

My depression got really bad yesterday due to the fact that it was Mother's Day, the first since my mother passed away, and I'm still feeling down.

I have an appointment with my therapist & prescription doctor tomorrow, and I'll discuss that with them, but for you guys, I just feel rotten about not having the chance to show appreciation. My mom wasn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but I still loved her.

Holidays aren't fun for me anymore.

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JDogindy View Post
    I'm taking citalopram for my depression. I've actually been dealing with it for years but only this year did I finally do something about it. Of course, my first therapy session was a month after my mother had passed away.

My surviving brother is much worse with his depression, as he's been diagnosed with a more severe variety, as well as anxiety issues that affect him from going anywhere.

I'm on Citalopram as well, although more for anxiety caused by my OCD/Aspergers then depression. Have been since last February, and its done wonders for me, I hardly get anxious/depressed at all any more, i've even cut back to half a pill every other day and may be able to stop taking them all together by year's end. Hope it helps you with your depression as well.

And sorry to hear about your brother, hope you both get better in the future.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

BANNED

Well, I just did. The gist of his pep talk was have a chocolate, I'm busy with other things. Today does its best to suck especially hard as most days-off did for the past 6 months. Tomorrow work will keep me busy.
    Have you ever considered getting a second job? It sounds like you fare better when you're at least around other people and being productive.
    I struggle with depression and anxiety when I'm not productive, but I'm usually able to get through those mood swings if I take positive steps
    when I feel that way. Problem is, I retired early and all I have is spare time. I'll probably have to deal with this until I go back to work (if I ever
    do) and follow a set schedule. But just because I've been unable to truly motivate myself to do what I know would make me feel better, that
    doesn't mean that you can't. You could make some extra money while feeling better about yourself, and more opportunities might present
    themselves. Death isn't the answer, though. You have a future that could be wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Thomas View Post
    Have you ever considered getting a second job? It sounds like you fare better when you're at least around other people and being productive.
    I struggle with depression and anxiety when I'm not productive, but I'm usually able to get through those mood swings if I take positive steps
    when I feel that way. Problem is, I retired early and all I have is spare time. I'll probably have to deal with this until I go back to work (if I ever
    do) and follow a set schedule. But just because I've been unable to truly motivate myself to do what I know would make me feel better, that
    doesn't mean that you can't. You could make some extra money while feeling better about yourself, and more opportunities might present
    themselves. Death isn't the answer, though. You have a future that could be wonderful.
    It could work. Problem is my 2 days off change every week. It's not always Saturday and Sunday like for most people I know. I'm in the process of finding a new profession and thought about moving abroad if it doesn't work out but freetime spent looking at my curriculum vitae puts me in a downward spiral and yet its the only thing helping me in the long run. Hope you find motivation for yourself its not easy.

BANNED

I have both and I don't have money to get help. Though I'm waiting until exams are over so that I can find out a way to see a Psychiatrist without my family knowing.