Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default GOTHAM ACADEMY #1 Preview/Discussion

WELCOME TO GOTHAM ACADEMY! Gotham City's most prestigious prep school is a very weird place. It's got a spooky campus, oddball teachers, and rich benefactors always dropping by...like that weirdo Bruce Wayne. But nothing is as strange is the students!
    Like, what's up with Olive Silverlock? Is she crazy or what? Where did she go last summer? And what's the deal with her creepy mom? And how come that Freshman MAPS is always following her around? And is she still going out with Kyle? P.S. Did you hear the rumor about the ghost in the North Hall?!
    GOTHAM ACADEMY is a new, monthly teen drama set in the shadow of Batman and the craziness of Gotham City, with new characters and old plus a secret tie to Gotham's past...

Full preview here.

I'm Drowning For You Imraith Nimphais's Avatar

While I've never been too interested in the kiddies/young adult stuff...that art is quite intriguing...though "Hammer head comes across as somewot cliche. I just might give this a look-see off the shelf.
    Sun and Moon
    STORM #1...Greg Pak (W) Victor Ibanez (A/CA)...July 23rd 2014
    Those who embrace nature are in turn embraced by her.

Incredible Member

Well the kiddie young adult stuff is what is needed in comics. Still, I doubt this will be completely that. I for one am greatly intrigued

Danger Doll in pink! Chickfighter's Avatar

The art looks awesome! And I wouldn't mind some young adult stuff if done well.

Intriguing preview, I love Karl's creativity on that splash page, this books concept is great, I'm looking forward to something different...
    #MagnetoWasRight

This book looks...what's that word...fun? Yes, fun! That's the word.
    Hope is not lost today. It is found.

Aww, i like Maps.

This is going to be a big time hit for DC.

Reads awesome. Great Comic art.

I hope they play up the Bruce is a wierdo/eccentric angle to great lols

aaahhhh Karl Kershel... you sly guy you. hanging around the fringes of comics for the last however many years... focusing on Charles Christopher, a cover or short story here and there... and then BAM!! you show everyone exactly what a Batman book should look like.

sly indeed.

The cute factor will only draw attention for so long. I wish for the best for the creators and its fans but honestly I'd be surprised if this makes it past 18 issues.

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nepenthes View Post
    The cute factor will only draw attention for so long. I wish for the best for the creators and its fans but honestly I'd be surprised if this makes it past 18 issues.
    I think you might be wrong there. This looks like a surprise, breakout hit to me. And will likely be the book I point to when people say DC doesn't have fun, different or experimental books

Ya, to say this book is a long shot is an understatement. Im not even sure the cute factor will draw much attention beyond the internet. But, nevertheless, that shouldn't really be a determinant. If u dig it, u dig it. Hopefully it'll be fun while it last. However long that might be.

Danger Doll in pink! Chickfighter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Ya, to say this book is a long shot is an understatement. Im not even sure the cute factor will draw much attention beyond the internet. But, nevertheless, that shouldn't really be a determinant. If u dig it, u dig it. Hopefully it'll be fun while it last. However long that might be.
    Absolutely. I hope it will be as much fun as it promises to be. And if by some miracle it makes it a couple of years it will have lasted as long as anything I've actually found enjoyable in the last few years. I'm used to that drill at this point.

It's truly a breath of fresh air to see DC Comics taking an even deeper foray into the hipster style of comics targeting the female teen/young adult audience that might be more inclined to read manga as opposed to comics and it's all for the better because DC certainly serves to benefit from expanding to cater to this so called "niche demographic". Marvel Comics has already been grooming the youngsters who prefer 'cute' looking reads with their Skottie Young titles and the colorful Nova and Ms Marvel comics.

I really like Becky Cloonan and Karl Kerschl. I purchased Cloonan's Batman #12 Harper Row issue and it was very good. I also read Brian Wood and B.Cloonan's Conan The Barbarian titles from Dark Horse as well. It's certainly good to have Cloonan back on Bat duty again with DC and I'm certainly going to add Gotham Academy to my pull.

This book is going to kill digitally and in trade, so ithink its going to be here for a long time.
    If its good, which duh. Look at it.