• Zeus origin and Diana as part of the Olympians

27 43.55%
  • Diana as goddess of War

34 54.84%
  • Swiss army braceletes

33 53.23%
  • God mode

31 50.00%
  • Designs (Wondy, Gods, N.Gods, F.Born, etc)

35 56.45%
  • Zola as her human buddy

26 41.94%
  • Sex piracy

10 16.13%
  • More down to earth designs and way of life for Amazons and Paradise Island

16 25.81%
  • Diana's training by both the Amazons and Ares

28 45.16%
  • More grey-ish, whimsical Olympians, eg: Ares as an antihero of sorts

33 53.23%
  • Orion romance (editorial didnt allow it to happen, but still...)

14 22.58%
  • Superman romance

15 24.19%
  • Normal sword as standard equipment, placed at her hip.

13 20.97%
  • Steve Trevor's is back and his handling in the new 52

26 41.94%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default New 52 innovations you liked.

So, Azz has brought a lot of new things to the table. Vote the ones you liked. You can select multiple choices.

Some explanations:
    - Option with Orion: Let's assume Azz was allowed to do it and therefore had developped him into a proper love interest. I feel like he stopped using him too much when DC forbid him from going there, so Orion stayed a bit of a pig and therefore not in a position to be anyone WW would want to date.

- Last few options: I had a few more options free, so i decided to ask you about some other new ideas that came from the rest of the new52 and not from Azz. I guess we could change the thread title into "new52 innovations you liked".

- I put the sex piracy thing in a different option from the realistic Amazons one, because i feel it's so special and controversial. I for one believe that we could have these same more realistic Amazons and they could have mated just the same without killing anyone. Masquarading themselves as normal women and seeking dates at bars would be a viable option for example.
    Last edited by Dr. Hurt; 05-13-2014 at 07:25 PM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I like Ares being a mentor for Diana in her youth. I don't like how it's received more focus than her teachings from the Amazons or Athena so far, but in concept, it adds a great new layer to their relationship. He sought to corrupt her, but she ended up "corrupting" him.

I also love his depictions of the Gods in general. While I would usually prefer the Gods to remain unseen and have a larger presence by manipulating events from behind the scenes, if we have to see them in person, I prefer Azz's take to the toga wearing, stilted dialogue-spewing versions of the past.

BANNED

I liked the involvement of New Gods, nice add from Azz. Chiang did a good job with the redesign of orion

Design of the greek gods, also characterization they are their essence. the new Ares

I really liked the god's new designs, I always thought it was boring how the gods were just seen as soooo regular in the previous continuity when they were gods and could be super flamboyant and awesome. I especially didn't like the gods designs when Greg Rucka was in charge, like his run was great, but I don't wanna see Athena in a sweater, drinking starbucks and surfing on her apple mac, like, what? I know what they were trying to do with the whole, the gods have evolved but Zeus still clings to his old ways and what not but =/

I really like the new ones, bar Dionysus, who looks like a Naruto villian.

Oh, and Hermes, he's doesn't look BAD, but not very god-like, that design could've worked for a monster of greek mythology or sth.
    I much prefer Earth 2's design, now THAT'S god-like.

I also like the swiss-army bracelets, also like Zola as her buddy
    Last edited by Step; 05-13-2014 at 09:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I like Ares being a mentor for Diana in her youth. I don't like how it's received more focus than her teachings from the Amazons or Athena so far, but in concept, it adds a great new layer to their relationship. He sought to corrupt her, but she ended up "corrupting" him.
    I like the part in bold, particularly the way it leads to WW becoming the god of war herself (i'm assuming she'll be much better at it than him).
    What i dont like is that it happened during her childhood. I'd rather Diana as a warrior was a product of the Amazons and then, when she came to man's world and stepped up as a major powerhouse that could influence the world, then perhaps Ares could approach her and try to influence her.

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

The only one I could endorse wholeheartedly is 'Zola as her human buddy'. A better writer could update the character as a contemporary counterpart of Etta Candy, since the character bearing that name is lost to the franchise now. I would even add "Diana as caretaker and babysitter for Zeke". Diana having responsibilities for a superpowered baby is something that could be made into fun stories by a better writer. Wonder Woman's world needs to be a welcoming one for women and children.

Of course, it's yet to be seen whether Azzarello kills them off. I hope that Azzarello kills most of the Olympians, though.

Others, I could not endorse as written. "Zeus origin", yes; "Diana as part of the Olympians", no. Zeus origin is OK for me, since there's really only been one reversion to clay story that really worked for me, and it was pre-Crisis. The gods have been a real drag on the book and are very poorly established as characters; they need to be out of sight for several years. I like the fact that Steve Trevor is back, and inevitable for Diana, but it's been sidelined by the temporary Superman romance.
    "At what point do we say, 'You're mucking with our myths'?" - Harlan Ellison

I chose the overall designs and the Steve Trevor (which wasn't part of Azz's run).

I wish there was an option for Azz's depiction of Diana, which I do really like. But I don't like her being the god of war, being trained by Ares, the Zeus origin, the Amazons, Orion/Superman romance, sex piracy, etc.

The God Mode was taken from the original Marston run, too... so not exactly an Azz innovation.

I like all of the stylistic - armament ideas that the new 52 introduced. The designs of the gods, WW's new weapons, and so on.

I dont like the sex piracy. I believe we could still have the Amazons as xenophobic and isolationist, without them being murderers. They could find many ways to reproduce without resorting to murder in a "we're holier than thou beasts so we wont kill you like you did" mentality.

But my favourite story idea is simplifying WW's origin for the newer generation which hates the clay one, and by extension making WW part of the Olympian family as opposed to their lackey. I also love the idea of her being the god of war and i hope Azz explores it before he leaves because i think it's going to be very interesting and i only trust him to handle it and show to the others after him what he was going for. I mean just look at all the writers that have been failing at writing Damian except for Morrison himself and Dini. And i think this opens up a lot of possibilities for future stories. Diana could perhaps take the throne, or represent the Olympians in an issue with other pantheons, even a war with other pantheons, etc.

I dont know, this new status brings a much needed boost of coolness to her. At least for me.

I also like to see Trevor back, but i dont understand why he cant be in WW and in other books at the same time. Batman and Wolverine can do it, why not him? Why does he need to be seperated from WW? Is it a Johns "dont touch muh toys" kind of thing? You know what i'd LOVE to see? A Morrison B&R meets Lara Croft kind of book, with a gun totting Trevor and Diana going around the world beating demons and monsters.
    Last edited by Dr. Hurt; 05-13-2014 at 10:16 AM.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Oops.....I missed that this was a multiple choice poll and only voted for the Steve Trevor option but I like everything from the Superman option downward.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

BANNED

humm not sure why Trevor isn't in Azzarello run. I think since the beggining Azz didn't wanted to use him very much, maybe because Johns was already using him in his JLA. I really don't see much space for Trevor in Azz story, maybe he made that way to avoid using trevor when Johns is using him. WW already mentioned Trevor, so who knows what going on on behind the scenes.

why there was options that has nothing to do with Azz run, like superman and sword on her hip?

I was interested in Orion as love interest, Azz went for a different way of tell it, the character have chemistry and is brand new in comics. but nevermind that Azz isn't Johns...
    Last edited by Blacksun; 05-13-2014 at 12:10 PM.

Like i wrote on the first post, you can have up to 15 choices, which left me with a few spare ones when i finished so i thought i'd ask about the non-Azz things too.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    humm not sure why Trevor isn't in Azzarello run. I think since the beggining Azz didn't wanted to use him very much, maybe because Johns was already using him in his JLA. I really don't see much space for Trevor in Azz story, maybe he made that way to avoid using trevor when Johns is using him. WW already mentioned Trevor, so who knows what going on on behind the scenes.

why there was options that has nothing to do with Azz run, like superman and sword on her hip?

I was interested in Orion as love interest, Azz went for a different way of tell it, the character have chemistry and is brand new in comics. but nevermind that Azz isn't Johns...

Plenty of other DC writers have used Steve Trevor in the New 52 so I highly doubt that Azzarello can't use him.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

God Mode, Swiss Army Bracelets, Designs, and the moraly grey Olympians are some of the innovations from Azz that I like. The Tuscany styled Themyscira is also great, but I prefer yanick's take on the amazonian city.

Astonishing Member

I didn't pick "sex piracy" because I don't think this part of the Amazons' background is an improvement in and of itself; but I do like that it gives Diana a need to lead the Amazons towards reform. Also, I think there's story potential in the Amazons' sons/brothers.

I like the bracelets new power mostly because it prevents her having to carry weapons around and always have them in her visual, while still letting her have them available. I also like that she can use it to materialize huge and unsual weapons, as she did against the First Born; it gives her a little more versatility, including range or at least reach.

I think being part of the Olympian family and becoming god of war opens a bunch of interesting story possibilities.

I picked "training by both the Amazons and Ares," though I think the Amazon training should be considered primary (which seems to be Diana's own view).

I like "God mode" as part of the story of Diana coming to grips with her inheritance, but I'm not sure it should stay "as is" forever.

Milan and Siracca are also favorites for me.
    Last edited by Silvanus; 05-13-2014 at 02:05 PM.

BANNED

I liked the Swiss Army bracelets because it's a corny element that's been embraced by new fans that previously hated WW's corny elements. God Mode would be similar, but it's tied too closely to the daughter of Zeus origin I hate.

The rest don't seem like Azz innovations, but the New 52's. Steve's promotion, Superman and the sword as every day weapon, come next. Under design, the costume has finally grown on me. Thank Tony S. Daniel for that, not Chiang, nor Lee. I still hate the blue boots though.