Page 104 of 106 FirstFirst ... 45494100101102103104105106 LastLast
Results 1,546 to 1,560 of 1583

Quote Originally Posted by Mormegil View Post
    I don't see anyway to make spoilers tags on here...
    spoilers:
    Try this.
    end of spoilers

Go to "Reply with quote" to see how that's done.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    spoilers:
    Try this.
    end of spoilers

Go to "Reply with quote" to see how that's done.
    spoilers:
    Thank you!
    end of spoilers

I picked up the final Captain Midnight bundle from Dark Horse's digital store last night. I enjoyed these books, but they sold horribly despite Dark Horse promoting the hell outta them. (Ironically, Ghost was being written by Kelly Sue DeConnick during the height of her popularity, but neither she nor Dark Horse promoted that fact.) It was trying too hard to compete with Marvel and DC when it should've focused more on competing with Valiant or the few superhero books from Image.

Still, gonna reread Captain Midnight as one solid run because I remember it being my fave series of the lot. And I still need to pick up Barb Wire and King Tiger. Possibly The Occultist as well.
    I still miss Renee Montoya. Oh, and I'm a dude.

When I originally read Captain Midnight and X, I took the same approach and picked them up in bundle sales through the Dark Horse digital store. It was a sweet deal; and allowed me to read through both series relatively quickly. The idea of a re-read sounds tempting now that you mention it.

Barb Wire, King Tiger, and the Occultist were fun too. Picking them up in the order that you mentioned would work pretty well in my opinion.
    Pull List: The Black Hammer, Bitch Planet, Copperhead, Hellboy/BPRD, Monstress, Ms. Marvel, Southern Cross

Twitter: @JavasaurusRex

Quote Originally Posted by Javasaurus View Post
    When I originally read Captain Midnight and X, I took the same approach and picked them up in bundle sales through the Dark Horse digital store. It was a sweet deal; and allowed me to read through both series relatively quickly. The idea of a re-read sounds tempting now that you mention it.

Barb Wire, King Tiger, and the Occultist were fun too. Picking them up in the order that you mentioned would work pretty well in my opinion.
    I snagged a bunch of the old CGW books in the recent Dark Horse Humble Bundle. Probably gonna read them before the PBS stuff. King Tiger always looked like a cool concept.

Quote Originally Posted by armlessphelan View Post
    I snagged a bunch of the old CGW books in the recent Dark Horse Humble Bundle. Probably gonna read them before the PBS stuff. King Tiger always looked like a cool concept.
    You'll have to come back and tell us how they were. I love Captain Midnight and X, but I've stayed away from the 90's stuff. It just looks so... 90's.
    Valiant- X-O Manowar / Bloodshot Salvation / Ninja-K / Quantum and Woody! / Shadowman / Harbinger Wars II / Brittania
    DC- Justice League / Hal Jordan and the GLC / The Flash / Aquaman / Mera / Mister Miracle / Silencer / The Terrifics
    Other- The Walking Dead / Mighty Morphin Power Rangers / Go Go Power Rangers

Quote Originally Posted by TheFerg714 View Post
    You'll have to come back and tell us how they were. I love Captain Midnight and X, but I've stayed away from the 90's stuff. It just looks so... 90's.
    After the latest run of Ghost ended, I decided to go back and re-read to the original ones just for the fun of having a side-by-side comparison. It's still fun reading; but there's definitely a difference between the decades. At some point I'll probably re-read the the rest of the CGW material too.
    Pull List: The Black Hammer, Bitch Planet, Copperhead, Hellboy/BPRD, Monstress, Ms. Marvel, Southern Cross

Quote Originally Posted by Javasaurus View Post
    After the latest run of Ghost ended, I decided to go back and re-read to the original ones just for the fun of having a side-by-side comparison. It's still fun reading; but there's definitely a difference between the decades. At some point I'll probably re-read the the rest of the CGW material too.
    I'd read the bulk of CGW version of Ghost last year and found it to be one of the greatest comics I'd ever read. I also read the entirety of CGW's Barb Wire and it is NOTHING like the movie: it's really good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by armlessphelan View Post
    I'd read the bulk of CGW version of Ghost last year and found it to be one of the greatest comics I'd ever read. I also read the entirety of CGW's Barb Wire and it is NOTHING like the movie: it's really good stuff.
    Yeah; I also feel like the original incarnation of Ghost still holds up well and is one of my all-time favorites. As for Barb Wire: yes, the movie was a tragic departure from the actual character. To this day I wonder what went wrong. The most recent version of Barb really was a welcome relief to the sad memory that the movie left in place.

I've been getting real turned off by Marvel lately and my pull list has dwindled down to just a few Marvel (Spider-Woman, Thor the Unworthy and GLI. DC (Future Quest and Doom Patrol). Been thinking of trying Black Hammer while waiting for more DC Rebirth. Can someone who has read it give me some insight?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dreaded Porcupine View Post
    I've been getting real turned off by Marvel lately and my pull list has dwindled down to just a few Marvel (Spider-Woman, Thor the Unworthy and GLI. DC (Future Quest and Doom Patrol). Been thinking of trying Black Hammer while waiting for more DC Rebirth. Can someone who has read it give me some insight?
    Not sure how much response you'll get posting here, as this thread is dedicated to discussing the now deceased Project Black Sky Universe. You may want to consider starting a new thread on the Independents board to discuss Black Hammer. I haven't read it, myself, but have thought about checking it out.

And if you're looking for something to check out, ever thought about dipping a toe in the Valiant Comics pool? Lots of good stuff to be found!
    I read Valiant Comics, and you should too!

Archer & Armstrong / Bloodshot USA / Divinity III / Faith / Generation Zero / Harbinger: Renegade / Ninjak / Savage

Anxiously awaiting: Bloodshot: Salvation / Britannia II / Harbinger Wars 2 / Psi-Lords / Secret Weapons / Shadowman / War Mother / X-O Manowar

Seriously, why aren't you reading Valiant Comics?

. . . Been thinking of trying Black Hammer while waiting for more DC Rebirth. Can someone who has read it give me some insight?
    As far as I know, the Black Hammer comic book series has no connection to the "Project Black Sky" line (besides both of them having the word "black" in their names).

I'm not buying or reading Lemire's series, but there was this article earlier this year:
    Jeff Lemire talks new comic Black Hammer, where the superheroes are stuck on a farm
    http://www.ew.com/article/2016/05/24...ero-farm-comic

And there was this thread about issue #1 (which didn't get too much action)

Quote Originally Posted by ksbord View Post
    Not sure how much response you'll get posting here, as this thread is dedicated to discussing the now deceased Project Black Sky Universe. You may want to consider starting a new thread on the Independents board to discuss Black Hammer. I haven't read it, myself, but have thought about checking it out.

And if you're looking for something to check out, ever thought about dipping a toe in the Valiant Comics pool? Lots of good stuff to be found!
    Thanks for the response. Will check out Valiant. Used to have a much larger pull list. Need to find replacements. Reading comics is my meditation. Have been checking out more independants lately.

Incredible Member

Thanks for the response. Will check out Valiant. Used to have a much larger pull list. Need to find replacements. Reading comics is my meditation. Have been checking out more independants lately.
    If you're a fan of Jeff Lemire, the good news is he's been working with Valiant for a couple of years now. He co-wrote The Valiant miniseries with Matt Kindt, which is a great starting point for someone new to Valiant. It also serves as a lead in to Bloodshot, Reborn which is also being written by Lemire.
    I read Valiant Comics, and you should too!

Archer & Armstrong / Bloodshot USA / Divinity III / Faith / Generation Zero / Harbinger: Renegade / Ninjak / Savage

Anxiously awaiting: Bloodshot: Salvation / Britannia II / Harbinger Wars 2 / Psi-Lords / Secret Weapons / Shadowman / War Mother / X-O Manowar

Seriously, why aren't you reading Valiant Comics?

I've been reading the Black Hammer since the first issue and I have to say that I've enjoyed it. But I also have to add that it feels very different from most superhero material that I've read in the past.

There isn't really any superhero action except in the flashbacks that help develop the characters. The main story seems to be dealing with heroes who are essentially in a form of exile (for lack of a better term) and are having to keep a low profile. This setting allows for a story that revolves around who the characters are underneath the hero exterior, as well as the relationships between them. It can be emotionally wrenching at times; but I'm personally interested to see where this is going.

I also second the recommendations about looking into Valiant's line if you are truly put off by Marvel's output.