Default Aquaman and the Others #2 Preview

Seems Atlan made some enemies is his day

I like it.

Peace

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

*Sigh* Nice art, but it shows everything wrong with Jurgens writing. A full-on bout of attempted comedy fluff while everyone is falling to their apparent death. Dialogue like "Humor doesn't help, Aaron" followed by "Doesn't hurt" while seconds from dying is straight out of the 80's crap. If the writer doesn't care to take the situation seriously why should the reader? It's why I can't enjoy his stuff and must be why all of his books keep failing. I REALLY want this title to succeed, but I think it's destined for 2 TPBs

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderLuthor View Post
    *Sigh* Nice art, but it shows everything wrong with Jurgens writing. A full-on bout of attempted comedy fluff while everyone is falling to their apparent death. Dialogue like "Humor doesn't help, Aaron" followed by "Doesn't hurt" while seconds from dying is straight out of the 80's crap. If the writer doesn't care to take the situation seriously why should the reader? It's why I can't enjoy his stuff and must be why all of his books keep failing. I REALLY want this title to succeed, but I think it's destined for 2 TPBs
    Heh, I agree that part was unnatural but I couldn't help but chuckle at it.

I actually think this looks fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Heh, I agree that part was unnatural but I couldn't help but chuckle at it.

I actually think this looks fun.
    His books are always "fine", but it's just a tone thing for me. That scene could be filled with dramatic tension while showing the new, young team member's contribution with her power set. Instead, everyone jokes in mid-air and then gripes about her ghosts after she just saved them. There is no substance there - just one liners that aren't funny. And it's why these characters will go into limbo and no one will care. There is a reason his books don't sell anymore - I know some enjoy that storytelling, but it's days were numbered when he was still on Superman in the 80's
    Last edited by AlexanderLuthor; 05-06-2014 at 09:27 AM.

Always Rakzo

His books are always "fine", but it's just a tone thing for me. That scene could be filled with dramatic tension while showing the new, young team member's contribution with her power set. Instead, everyone jokes in mid-air and then gripes about her ghosts after she just saved them. There is no substance there - just one liners that aren't funny. And it's why these characters will go into limbo and no one will care. There is a reason his books don't sell anymore - I know some enjoy that storytelling, but it's days were numbered when he was still on Superman in the 80's
    Eh, I think his books don't sell anymore for the same reason why Giffen's books don't sell anymore: Lack of interest in old-school writers (no matter if they're good or bad).

As I said before, I think this is a decent read but it could definitely be better (By the way, Jurgens' run on Superman started in the 90's).

Eh, I think his books don't sell anymore for the same reason why Giffen's books don't sell anymore: Lack of interest in old-school writers (no matter if they're good or bad).

As I said before, I think this is a decent read but it could definitely be better (By the way, Jurgens' run on Superman started in the 90's).
    Ah yes, I'm old enough to get my decades mixed up. And I think you agreed with me to a degree, the buying public was done with that type of storytelling long ago whether by Levitz, Lobdell or Jurgens

Always Rakzo

Ah yes, I'm old enough to get my decades mixed up. And I think you agreed with me to a degree, the buying public was done with that type of storytelling long ago whether by Levitz, Lobdell or Jurgens
    I think Levitz doesn't even qualify to the categories of Lobdell and Jurgens because, despite of their flaws, at least their stories actually progress.

I think Levitz doesn't even qualify to the categories of Lobdell and Jurgens because, despite of their flaws, at least their stories actually progress.
    Yes, adding Levitz was a low blow - I almost went with Nocenti, as well. Like I said - I want this book to do well and that's why I care. Unfortunately, I don't think Jurgens is the man/woman for the job

Amazing Member

Really? I always love that kind of stuff. In my mind superheroes seem to be in peril enough that eventually it would become kind of tedious. Especially since alot of their situations are ridiculous in the very details. I like when drama is sprinkled with a bit of humor.

Besides with all the people going on and on about how everything in DC is too grimdark you'd think his books would do a bit better.

Well to each their own. Lookin' forward to this