Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • A good step forward

9 25.00%
  • A step backward, a momentum killer

27 75.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Question Superman Doomed: A good step forward or a step back for the storylines

In my honest opinion it's damaged the momentum of the good books like Action and the Superman/Woman book.

Well, the momentum that Pak and Soule were building has certainly been dragged to a halt. The crossover ran about three times longer than it should have. It reeks of Lobdell's involvement (interesting concept, poor execution).

All that said, momentum is easy to gain and easy to lose. Give Pak a couple issues to do his own thing again and we'll be good to go. And Doomed did introduce some interesting concepts and wrap up a whole lot of Lobdell's subplots (like the Lois and Brainiac thing).

I feel like when Doomed ends, we'll be starting a fresh chapter in Superman's mythos. And that's always interesting and gets people excited.

So, short term? It was a step backwards. Long term? It freed us up from a lot of subplots and brought in a relatively interesting take on Doomsday. So step forward for that.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Neither option fits the reality, imo. Like Ascended said, momentum is as easy to get back as it is to drop. So while I think it hurt individual books momentum, it certainly didn't kill anything.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 09-13-2014 at 05:12 PM.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Kind of killed the line for me, but hopefully it gain back interest. ACTION was so good and then it crashed and burned.

Fantastic Member butterfingers158's Avatar

If it had been 1 or 2 months (tops) I think it would have been good. This 3-4 month business is too long.

BANNED

It was definitely a step back.

Astonishing Member

So far it's a momentum killer and based on Johns' Superman stories it isn't leaving any long term building blocks to justify that.

Hate it. Taking a break from all Super-books until that nonsense runs its course.

yea dragging it out is a step back

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

It's a tricky question.

I've loved Doomed so far and am a huge fan of character based (not all universe books) crossovers and Doomsday as a character BUT I can't deny it's got in the way of Pak's excellent run of exploring the Superverse. That said, Pak has really run with the concept and Lobdell (always better in a huge crossover) and Soule only got better under this run. With Johns ignoring it, I feel the arc does feel somewhat stalled of its momentum as we only get two parts a month. It would have been nice to include the Superboy (which Kuder saved from an utter mismanagement clusterf**k) and Supergirl (Red Lantern nonsense by Bedard) titles in the crossover.

I love stories that explore Clark's humanity and adding Doomsday as the anti-Clark (Peter David Hulk style) only made it better. If I may borrow an adjective, here's hoping we end up with a Superior Doomsday! The next clash should be even more epic!

Overall, I've loved Doomed and can't wait to see how it ends. Honestly, and I know I'm in a minority here, I fear the end in Doomed #2 may be rushed and wish it had gone on a month or so longer (f**k pointless universe-wide crossover month).

Bottom line: Superman is at his best saving the entire DCU, and he may not have accomplished this without the added power of Doomsday (assuming he repels Brainiac, which he obviously will).
    Last edited by exile001; 09-14-2014 at 01:17 PM.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

It, got me to buy the S titles.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Overall, I've loved Doomed and can't wait to see how it ends. Honestly, and I know I'm in a minority here, I fear the end in Doomed #2 may be rushed and wish it had gone on a month or so longer (f**k pointless universe-wide crossover month).

Rushed? Longer? O_o

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    So far it's a momentum killer and based on Johns' Superman stories it isn't leaving any long term building blocks to justify that.
    johns jumping to the future is kind of anticlimatic.

doomed already started wrong with Lobdell idea, the execution is not great in any way.

When I read the last issue of Doomed, ie #2 I'll be able to say if it was worth it or not.

It has affected some books but you know, I've read comics before and that happens. It is nothing new. Crossovers always do that.

A few of the tie ins were not necessary and some plot points could have been ignored totally ie they did not exactly make the event any better. The event was it's strongest at the start with the first few chaps and then lost some momentum in the middle...hope we get a good resolution in the one shot.

If the ending is sound, then as a whole the event will actually read better.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lax View Post
    Rushed? Longer? O_o
    Well, its gone on this long so there's no point half-assing the ending is my point. There's a lot of stuff to resolve in just one book.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!