36. You may not vote on this poll
  • A good step forward

9 25.00%
  • A step backward, a momentum killer

27 75.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Well, its gone on this long so there's no point half-assing the ending is my point. There's a lot of stuff to resolve in just one book.
    The reason it was so long in the first place is because the plot slowed to a crawl without really going anywhere. The beginnings of Doomed were fine.

They don't have to half-ass the ending, just stop drag-assing it.
    Last edited by Lax; 09-15-2014 at 05:02 AM.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lax View Post
    The reason it was so long in the first place is because the plot slowed to a crawl without really going anywhere. The beginnings of Doomed were fine.

They don't have to half-ass the ending, just stop drag-assing it.
    I don't think any of it has been dragged out, I really don't get where that's coming from. The first arc established the character and setting for our infected Superman and since then we've had some of the most action-packed Superman issues of the New 52.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

I went with momentum killer, I think it was more of a timing issue and some of the quality was uneven than just the length of the arc. Johns should have waited to start his Superman run if he wanted to ignore the event. So that right there gave us the nothing is going to happen here storyline. (But hey this is comics, we knew that going in.) I thought the beginning was really good, then bogged down during the middle, but the last couple issues it has picked up again. Except the latest Supergirl tie-in, that wasn't even needed. I'd rate the story as a C+, but we will see how Doomed #2 pans out for the final grade.
    Last edited by hsalf; 09-15-2014 at 08:30 AM.

I know you're trying to find out where I hang my cape. YOU WON'T.

I love Doomsday and for me, it's hard not to get involved in story arcs, but dealing with cross-overs anymore completely kill the comic collector and reader in me anymore. I stopped reading the entire arc completely only after a few issues and couldn't help but think the Doomed series derailed any momentum the series had. I went straight into Superman #32 with the Johns/Romita takeover and still even feel my momentum as a Superman monthly fan has been off recently and it started with Doom. I liked some aspects of the story but again, the tiresome cross-overs between titles and the long, drown out stories remain a factor of me becoming uninterested, only resorting to waiting for a new direction to take place.
    Last edited by Tra-EL; 09-15-2014 at 07:14 PM.

I couldn't really vote on this one. To me, Doomed doesn't feel like a step forward or a step backward. It feels more like Doomed put the Superman line on pause. Things just kind of stalled out while Doomed is happening. I enjoyed the premise and set up. The last few issues were pretty fun and are moving towards wrapping up some story arcs. The middle really dragged though. It felt like the issues were just repeating themselves to make the crossover last longer or fill a trade better. So all of Pak's awesome work on Action and Soule's work on Supes/WW was just set aside while Doomed happened. Now I'm waiting for Doomed to be over so we can hit play again on the Superman line and get back to what was going on. Kind of a shame really, as an arc like Doomed should be a huge event. It just doesn't feel as epic as it should and things have stopped progressing for the Superman line, IMO.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by objectivewatcher2013 View Post
    In my honest opinion it's damaged the momentum of the good books like Action and the Superman/Woman book.
    I don't read Superman on a regular basis and only started reading Superman for this arc which I thought would be good and it was initially, but it has been way too long and did kill momentum for Superman/Wonder Woman which I had enjoyed until Tony Daniel left and sub-standard artists took over, which is a problem for long crossovers.

Given what has taken place you I would suggest that if you were an Action reader you would have to say that Doomed has killed momentum, even if part of the storyline was to wrap up plot threads left over from Lobdell's run. I question why Action was dragged into the arc, why wasn't it restrict Doomed to Superman and Superman/Wonder Woman?

I agree with the comments re interesting concepts, poor execution. I have basically enjoyed the storyline, but it has gone on way too long!

When I think what this story was about - Superman contracting a Doomsday virus that transforms him into a Doomsday, which itself was a grand plot by Brainiac and involves the Justice League, Mongul, phantom zone etc....it really should have been awesome and feel like it was a big deal....this just hasn't been the case for me...just does not seem to carry the weight you'd expect from that kind of plot...

Still overall, its not bad, but not great either.
    Last edited by Sinestro; 09-16-2014 at 05:00 PM.
    Action Comics, Batman, Green Lantern, Justice League, Superman

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

These seem to be the same complaints of Rotworld, H'El on Earth, Blight, etc... I wonder how much of a sales hit those involved titles took? Has Bob Harras not learned his lesson?
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

trade-waiting - Ice Cream Man, Monstress

backlog - Blade of the Immortal, Mignolaverse, Promethea, X-Cutioner's Song

I kind of think the thing was hampered by the news that Johns was going to take over Superman with Romita. That kind of would have hurt the whole crossover in way. It would be that they were rushing to make an ending because of Johns coming in and also people would have waited for those books instead of reading the current crossover.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Cheesesteak View Post
    These seem to be the same complaints of Rotworld, H'El on Earth, Blight, etc... I wonder how much of a sales hit those involved titles took? Has Bob Harras not learned his lesson?
    That's the question, was there much of a sales hit? Genuinely asking, I don't really follow sales unless I want to know on a general level if books I'm into are safe or not.

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    That's the question, was there much of a sales hit? Genuinely asking, I don't really follow sales unless I want to know on a general level if books I'm into are safe or not.
    I believe MajorHoy is really good at gathering sales #'s. I'd tag him here if it were possible!

I mean, I can check myself...I just don't feel like doing all the work of cross-referencing months, issues, etc... ugh
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

trade-waiting - Ice Cream Man, Monstress

backlog - Blade of the Immortal, Mignolaverse, Promethea, X-Cutioner's Song

Incredible Member

Like many of you, I enjoyed the start of the arc, but thought overall it has run too long. The last couple of issues were better, I hope Doomed 2 is gonna b great!