Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    He's had several shots since and just can't recapture the original feel everyone is so fond of.

I'm not a huge fan of his work on the whole to be honest, but there's not denying his Suicide Squad concept is fantastic and should be hard to cock up (however, writer after writer seems to do a fantastic job at just that). Still gutted that we only got one collection of his original SS, as I thought it got a lot better after issue 20 or so.

That said, he created and introduced one of my top 10 DC characters, Oracle, so definitely not all bad.

I liked Glass' original New 52 run. It was fun and OTT. But after he left...
    Man, I know some people didn't like the Raise the Flag mini, but other than the weird decision to have Rick Flag not be Rick Flag, I liked it all. At least Ostrander never forgot the importance of stacking the rosters with characters he could kill.

I don't get why DC wants to use SS as a vehicle for big-name, unkillable villains in this comic. They managed to get it right for the Assault on Arkham movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Batson View Post
    Copra: Round One is supposed to come out this month so everyone who wants to read a good Suicide Squad story should hop on to it.
    You can read the first issue for free here: http://michelfiffe.com/comics/copra/index.html
    Y'know, despite the (very) pale copies of Squad members, I really enjoyed the first issue. I'd read more of this!

I haven't read the new series yet, but I really enjoyed the previous one, particularly Glass's issues. He had some great twists and cliffhangers that made the book exciting every month.

I was looking forward to NSS after missing out on the last one, but every issue has been worse than the last. I'll be dropping it at this point, shame I had high hopes. Bring on the Sinister Six.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

He's had several shots since and just can't recapture the original feel everyone is so fond of.

I'm not a huge fan of his work on the whole to be honest, but there's not denying his Suicide Squad concept is fantastic and should be hard to cock up (however, writer after writer seems to do a fantastic job at just that). Still gutted that we only got one collection of his original SS, as I thought it got a lot better after issue 20 or so.

That said, he created and introduced one of my top 10 DC characters, Oracle, so definitely not all bad.

I liked Glass' original New 52 run. It was fun and OTT. But after he left...
    If you don't like Ostrander then I'm pretty sure you've not read his Spectre, Hawkworld, Heroes for hire, Firestorm and Star Wars Legacy.
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

BANNED

Okay, so I've just read New Suicide Squad 1, 2 and Futures End to catch up and I have to say, at this point, it's worse than anything the last volume had to offer (low praise, indeed). Horrible characterisation (or lack of it), hideous 90s style art and immediately in with the anti-Russian nonsense and little but arbitrary violence.

My favourite stuff so far? The random size changes of the armoured suits (Rocket Reds?) in issue 1-2. End of issue 1, 20 or so stories high. Issue 2 page 5, around the size of the police officers. Page 6, roughly 6x higher than Deathstroke. Page 9, 8-10 times taller than JD/HQ (roughly the same height in issue 1, though JD is obviously shorter than HQ in the running scene) both of whom are about foot shorter than Deathstroke. Issue 2 final panel, my favourite, at least 10x bigger than the length of a car (and one is clearly behind the car). Lol @ lack of/randomly shifting perspective.

Special mention to the art in FE, where almost every face is lop-sided.

Geez, surely DC can do better than this? C'mon, they want to push Deathstroke, Black Manta and (god knows why) Joker's Daughter. WTF is going on here? Maybe they should've given it to Soule when they had the chance (although paired with a decent artist). I want to like this book!
    NO BRONZE TIGER/BEN TURNER(without d Nu 52 were-tiger asinine nonsense) , NO SUICIDE SQUAD...PERIOD!

We/SZ will nv support any SS buk without BT as d deadliest assasin martial artist on d team & he shd lead dis SS team dammit.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zartan's Brother View Post
    Man, I know some people didn't like the Raise the Flag mini, but other than the weird decision to have Rick Flag not be Rick Flag, I liked it all. At least Ostrander never forgot the importance of stacking the rosters with characters he could kill.

I don't get why DC wants to use SS as a vehicle for big-name, unkillable villains in this comic. They managed to get it right for the Assault on Arkham movie.

We/SZ lykd dat mini.

Quote Originally Posted by The Odd Man View Post
    Y'know, despite the (very) pale copies of Squad members, I really enjoyed the first issue. I'd read more of this!
    It started as a Suicide Squad fan comic is the very close resemblance is almost given. It gets better and the storytelling is on some next level.

(Not the best example I could find but still...)
    BB

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Batson View Post
    Copra: Round One is supposed to come out this month so everyone who wants to read a good Suicide Squad story should hop on to it.
    You can read the first issue for free here: http://michelfiffe.com/comics/copra/index.html
    Haha it even has Deadshot on the cover.

Nice to see I have an legit SS book to read.

I have only read the 8 issue mini of Ostrander's post SS/SS work. It wasn't quite as sharp, I'll grant, but minis are harder to write.

And personally, I'd take even a medicore Ostrander story over most of the stuff that clogs up the racks today.

I flipped through the first issue yesterday.
    Couldn't get past the art.
    It was too distracting for me to attempt reading.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Double post
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 09-18-2014 at 10:24 AM.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by electr1cgoblin View Post
    I have only read the 8 issue mini of Ostrander's post SS/SS work. It wasn't quite as sharp, I'll grant, but minis are harder to write.

And personally, I'd take even a medicore Ostrander story over most of the stuff that clogs up the racks today.
    Do yourself a favour and track down Ostrander's original Squad series. it's how comics SHOULD be written.

I disliked the Futures End issue
    I am so-s0 with the on going.
    I think it is more not caring for Jokers Daughter and Deathstroke that is leaving me feeling meh about the book.
    Really not looking forward to Daniels Deathstroke......

Will keep buying and reading (Suicide Squad) for now.
    Will give Gail's Secret Six a read.

I bet it's an editorial mandates that Black Manta, Deathstroke, and Joker's Daughter be apart of this team. Those 3 really don't belong and it's ruining the book.