part 7
    part 8
    part 9
    part 10
    part 11
    part 12
    part 13

Heya guys,
    Some time ago I did a review of Daytripper, in which I told that Daytripper was one lf the few comics that almost made me cry. There is another comic in which I felt that, an alternate reality story about one of the most noble heroes of the Marbel universe. I'm of course talking about Silver Surfer: Requiem, written by J. Michael Straczynski and illustrated by Esad Ribic.

The Silver Surfer is a fascinating character. He's an idealistic, noble alien creature with almost infinite power who tries to make up for the deaths he caused as herald of Galactus. In this story the Silver Surfer finds out that his powers are fading, and that he has only 30 days to live. It's set in an alternate reality, but thag makes it no less powerful. Requiem follows the Surfer as he tries to help as many people as possible before he dies, and later his journey to his homeworld, Zenn-La. Though it has a very clear idealistic and peaceloving message, it's a very sad story, while still so very beautiful. In #2 (out of 4) the Surfer talks to Spider-Man, who tries to help him find ways to help the world become a better place in the short time left for the Surfer. After they can't find an answer, the Surfer offers Spidey a gift, experiencing the Power cosmic and explore the galaxy with it. Spider-Man turns it down but asks if Mary Jane could experience it for him. After the Silver Surfer accepts the proposal and Mary Jane returns, she says that she never felt as peaceful as that. Spider-Man then finds a way to better the world in a epic, yet beautiful, scene

The story has a lot more of these moments, though I won't spoil any more of those moments for you. The ending is great and shows just how great a character the Silver Surfer is. What also makes this story so great is the jaw-dropping painted art by Esad Ribic, who delivers some of his best work. Big paintings of the Surfer soaring through the stars as drawn by Ribic here are sights that'll stick with you for a long time and really capture the essence of the story. This is a very overlooked graphic novel (I usually say comic when I'm talking about Marvel comics but this comic is so literate thatt it deserves to be called a graphic novel) and if it weren't for a few fans of it here on this forum, I probably would have never knew it existed. It's not for everybody, but it's worth trying it, as it may just be one of your new favorite comics. Plus, even if you don't like the story, you can still look at the amazing painted art.
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Strack writing good comics!? Seems like an age ago Ahhhh, those were the times.

Regarding the book, it has always been on my increasingly long list of "must read before dying" comics. One of those days, one of those days... Though I must admit I don't like Ribic's painted art that much. I prefer the style he's shown in Ultimates and Thor. Oh, and nothing will replace Parable as the best Silver Surfer story ever.

Finally, I must ask you to never say "graphic novel" again. Every time I hear it I feel like the speaker is implying that novels are superior to comics; I might be the only one, but I think that using this word deliberately means you're ashamed of reading comics. But that's just me, though.

P.S. I've been busy those days, but I might have time to write another review before the month ends.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Strack writing good comics!? Seems like an age ago Ahhhh, those were the times.

Regarding the book, it has always been on my increasingly long list of "must read before dying" comics. One of those days, one of those days... Though I must admit I don't like Ribic's painted art that much. I prefer the style he's shown in Ultimates and Thor. Oh, and nothing will replace Parable as the best Silver Surfer story ever.

Finally, I must ask you to never say "graphic novel" again. Every time I hear it I feel like the speaker is implying that novels are superior to comics; I might be the only one, but I think that using this word deliberately means you're ashamed of reading comics. But that's just me, though.

P.S. I've been busy those days, but I might have time to write another review before the month ends.
    I hate the word graphic novel as a replacement of the word comic, but it I use it when I'm talking about this sort of comics. I also think the word graphic novel means (in my mind at least) a finite mini series that has a definite beginning, middle and end, like a novel. I don't like using it though when i'm talking about an ongoing, no matter if it's of Sandman quality. The nice thing about the term though is that people understand what I mean when I say it in a sentence like that, it replaces two lines of explaining what I mean.

I don't like JMS that much to be honest, but this one rocked.

Picking a best Silver Surfer story is hard, since he has such a great track record but I have to agree that Parable is amazing.

I love Ribic, no matter the style.

P.S if I were ashamed of my comic-reading I wouldn't have a Galactus phone case and a Marvel shirt I wear far too often

Oh and I love to read another review from you, reading my own reviews is way less statisfactory than someone else's
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

That's a very valid point.

What have you read from JMS? There was a time when his Spidey, Thor and Supreme Power rocked. But I'll never forget what he did to the latter.

I'll try to have another review next week or maybe even this one. Right now, I'm reading The Bulletproof Coffin again, and I'm tempted to review it in order to get you to read it. We'll see if I have the time. Oh, and since tomorrow is my birthday ( ), I'll be ordering a lot of stuff from Cheap-Comics (many thanks for pointing the page in the forums!). I plan to review all of it at some point because I've chosen some interesting things.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    That's a very valid point.

What have you read from JMS? There was a time when his Spidey, Thor and Supreme Power rocked. But I'll never forget what he did to the latter.

I'll try to have another review next week or maybe even this one. Right now, I'm reading The Bulletproof Coffin again, and I'm tempted to review it in order to get you to read it. We'll see if I have the time. Oh, and since tomorrow is my birthday ( ), I'll be ordering a lot of stuff from Cheap-Comics (many thanks for pointing the page in the forums!). I plan to review all of it at some point because I've chosen some interesting things.
    I've read his Spidey, Rising stars and some of his later stuff. His Spidey was pretty good, Rising Stars was meh and his later stuff wasn't very good. I have his Thor on my wish list but that could take a while before I have it. Maybe I'll read it on Marvel Unlimited after I finish Journey into Mystery by Gillen (that's soooo good!! Maybe I'll do a review of it later).

I have been keeping an eye on cheap copies of Bulletproof coffin but I can only find it for £10 including shipping which is cover price, and I find that a bit much for a paperback. When I find it used cheap I'll buy it no questions asked.

Also,
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
    have a very nice day tomorrow!
    Btw, how did the move to Switzerland go?

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    I've read his Spidey, Rising stars and some of his later stuff. His Spidey was pretty good, Rising Stars was meh and his later stuff wasn't very good. I have his Thor on my wish list but that could take a while before I have it. Maybe I'll read it on Marvel Unlimited after I finish Journey into Mystery by Gillen (that's soooo good!! Maybe I'll do a review of it later).

I have been keeping an eye on cheap copies of Bulletproof coffin but I can only find it for £10 including shipping which is cover price, and I find that a bit much for a paperback. When I find it used cheap I'll buy it no questions asked.

Also,
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
    have a very nice day tomorrow!
    Btw, how did the move to Switzerland go?
    Wow, I didn't know The Bulletproof Coffin is now out of print. That should be punished.

Thanks a lot, Victor. The move to Switzerland went very well. For me, that is (my parent's credit card was begging for mercy). I only regret not bringing more comics, but hey, you can't get everything you want. As for the town of St Gallen, I quite like it. It's a very peaceful place with one great university there. My only complaints are:

-There are no comic shops here, and prices of comics in book stores are really high, but really, really high.

-The timetable is really messed up. As a Spaniard, I was used to eat breakfast at 11:00am. Now I'm eating dinner at that hour. xD

-Tomorrow is precisely the day when I have most clases at uni. Well, at least I'll have time to think what I'll be buying.

By the way, if you ever happen to be near St Gallen, feel free to stop by and say "hi" (and borrow my copy of The Bulletproof Coffin).
    Last edited by Diamond; 09-15-2014 at 02:28 PM.

I really need to pick this up one of these days. The Silver Surfer is one of my favorite characters and this looks like a really good story. This almost seems like the Surfer version of The Death of Captain Marvel.