Default Terminal Hero: Thoughts?

So I've been following Dynamite's Terminal Hero lately (it's only into its second issue, going on third pretty soon) because my brother picked it up one day at my LCS and we thought we'd give it a shot.

While it wasn't the most mind-blowing thing I've ever read, I thought it had some potential, so we decided to give it another shot and pick up issue #2. After reading issue 2, I can't bring myself to pick up another issue for one reason: the really, really disturbing flashback/hallucination sequences the main characters has about his sister. They feel completely unnecessary and just there for shock factor. I understand part of the entire story is that by having the treatments, the main characters is slowly losing his humanity, but they could (and have) displayed that in other ways that aren't so gratuitous and disturbing.

I was finally thinking I might give Terminal Hero a third issue when I flipped the page and saw the panel in issue #2 with the scene with the main character's sister, and I almost put the book down right there. For me, the rest of the story, the writing, and the art just don't justify me sticking around because that just ruined the whole thing for me.

How about you guys? Has anyone else picked up Terminal Hero? What are your thoughts?
    Harley Quinn, New Suicide Squad, Grayson, Batgirl, Red Sonja, The Mighty Thor, Catwoman, Bitch Planet, Secret Six, Silk, Descender, Sabrina, Archie, JLA, DC Bombshells, Black Magick, Paper Girls, Tokyo Ghost, Vampirella, Scarlet Witch, A-Force, Extraordinary X-Men, X-Men '92, The Legend of Wonder Woman, All-New Wolverine, Power Rangers, Hellcat, Monstress, Descender

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

I think potential is the right word. I think the first two issues only allude to the potential that the series has, and the ending of issue two opens a lot of doors. As far as the disturbing elements of the story and the thing with the sister, it's obvious that the process is effecting the mental process, and every fleeting dark, disturbing thought that Rory has had suddenly becomes possibility. That's why he flees from his girlfriend. It's not comforting, but it is an effective element in a psychological horror book, which is what Terminal Hero is. (I liken TH to a David Cronenberg film, and I kinda wish that the title was Terminal Hero? with a very prominent question mark.)

I totally get the psychological horror elements, and usually I don't mind some disturbing elements within a story, but... I don't know, I guess it's not for everyone, and it just kind of crossed my line. They definitely took a risk with displaying it in the manner they did, and for me, it just didn't pay off. It really took away from the story and I'm not sure I can really go back to it now if they're going to keep it up.
    Harley Quinn, New Suicide Squad, Grayson, Batgirl, Red Sonja, The Mighty Thor, Catwoman, Bitch Planet, Secret Six, Silk, Descender, Sabrina, Archie, JLA, DC Bombshells, Black Magick, Paper Girls, Tokyo Ghost, Vampirella, Scarlet Witch, A-Force, Extraordinary X-Men, X-Men '92, The Legend of Wonder Woman, All-New Wolverine, Power Rangers, Hellcat, Monstress, Descender

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by quinnzel View Post
    I totally get the psychological horror elements, and usually I don't mind some disturbing elements within a story, but... I don't know, I guess it's not for everyone, and it just kind of crossed my line. They definitely took a risk with displaying it in the manner they did, and for me, it just didn't pay off. It really took away from the story and I'm not sure I can really go back to it now if they're going to keep it up.
    It's definitely not for everyone, and I can totally sympathize with you wanting to walk away from it. If the book was stronger in general, I think I might have a better argument to try and convince you into giving it another shot, but like I said in my earlier post, we're really running on potential at this point. I do think the ending of issue two opens a lot of doors, though, even if Rory's gambit doesn't work.

I'm really pleased with the concept and the art is phenomenal, story isn't bad either. My only issue (no pun intended) with it is that there seemed to a be a few parts where the pacing was really off, like it jumped around quite abruptly and didn't always flow very well.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I really enjoyed the first issue, it was a pretty traditional Milligan intro. Have to check and see if I can get the second today.