Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The Mad Hatter appreciation thread

Jervis Tetch. The Mad Mastermind. The Hatter From Hell.

The Mad Hatter has always had potential, a very underrated Batman villain. He's always been one of my all time favorite Batman villains. Share your favorite moments featuring the Mad Hatter (comics, cartoons, video games, etc).
    Last edited by Nero; 09-13-2014 at 08:46 PM.

Lightbulb Jervis Tetch: Evil Pizza

The Mad Hatter is modeled after the zany Hatter from the famous Lewis Carroll novel about eschewed perception and which Tim Burton adapted in his "Alice in Wonderland" (2010).

The Mad Hatter is a mad scientist named Jervis Tetch who likes deforming the mental condition of his victims, because he believes that people are inherently mentally weak and deserve torture and insanity.

The Mad Hatter is the kind of guy who might turn up in "Gotham" (Fox TV) in some bizarre scheme involving the recruiting of wayward women/prostitutes for some 'child-kidnapping army.'

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

MadHatter_-_Batman49.JPG

The Mad Hatter is probably Batman's most underrated villain. I loved his episodes on TAS. He has a great one shot from the Joker's Asylum comics that shows how crazy/horrifying he really is. Of all the Batman villains (yes including the Joker), I think the Mad Hatter is the craziest. He lives in literally his own world.

BANNED

I only like two takes on him - the Gotham Central arc and the Haunted Knight story. Otherwise, totally underutilized. Oh and a comedy issue from the new LotDK, that was good.

Arrow Smart Gibberish?

Batman wanders into a realm of the Mad Hatter and discovers that the mad demon has created an elaborate human assassin chess gauntlet which the Dark Knight must get through in order to rescue a young woman that the Mad Hatter has kidnapped.

This was a storyline from "Batman: The Animated Series" (Fox TV).

Americans love comic books and Halloween, which explains why a Lewis Carroll adapted villain would find its way into the storyboard world of Bob Kane.

When I think of Batman's unusual nemesis the Mad Hatter, I think of 'derangement labyrinths.'

Lewis Carroll

Quote Originally Posted by son of booyah View Post
    I only like two takes on him - the Gotham Central arc and the Haunted Knight story. Otherwise, totally underutilized. Oh and a comedy issue from the new LotDK, that was good.
    Have you seen the B:TAS episode where he is introduce or read Arkham Asylum?

BANNED

Just thinking of his creepy, eerie voice from the BTAS gives me chills. Whoever that voice actor was really created an unusual but iconic voice for the character. HE really is underrated as a villain, he's in my top 6 (joker, bane, riddler, two-face, ras al ghoul and Mad Hatter)

Quote Originally Posted by colossus34 View Post
    Just thinking of his creepy, eerie voice from the BTAS gives me chills. Whoever that voice actor was really created an unusual but iconic voice for the character. HE really is underrated as a villain, he's in my top 6 (joker, bane, riddler, two-face, ras al ghoul and Mad Hatter)
    It was Roddy McDowall who played the Bookworm in the '66 series. He also did the voice for the audio book of the novelisation of the Batman '89 movie.

Exclamation Mania Much Ado

The Mad Hatter is a unique super-nemesis of Batman, and his 'real world' cultural allusions to the Lewis Carroll character creates motivations to design outlandish outfits and costumes (and hats) --- even though he is deranged.

Lewis Carroll

hatter2.jpg

hatter3.jpg

hatter4.jpg

As fans, what's your preferred take on Mad Hatter? A lot of Batman-fans I talk to tend to think of him as either too lame or either too twisted and dark, but as this thread and his appearances in TV-shows* and video games prove he does have his fans as well.

*Come to think of it, I don't remember him making an appearance in "The Batman." Did he?

Incredible Member

The darker he gets, the better. As a trafficker of girls he really does unsettle me.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I miss Mad Hatter II...we never learned his real name (he just claimed to be Jervis).

http://scans-daily.dreamwidth.org/3797.html
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 03-01-2015 at 09:15 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Exclamation Armchair Vanities

Just like Joker is the only Batman nemesis who presents evil/mischief as wry/humorous/fun, Mad Hatter is the only Batman nemesis who presents the eerie face of evil/mischief augmented with style/ornaments.

As his name implies, the Mad Hatter (Jervis) "invites" people/victims to consider why mania is related to self-presentation or vanity/appearance. Just like the Mad Hatter from "Alice in Wonderland" (Lewis Carroll), this Batman super-villain crystallizes the psychiatric notion that intelligence and self-awareness are challenged by vanity. This is why this Batman nemesis makes for great crime stories about 'motivational posturing.'

book.jpg

from Who's Who: The Definitive Directory of the DC Universe Vol. XIV (April 1986)

from Batman #49 (October-November 1948)

from Detective Comics #230 (April 1956)