Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Man Child?

Quote Originally Posted by Pako View Post
    Peter's already let MJ go effectively satisfying the point of not taking responsibility to family and distancing himself from the relationship that makes his life difficult as Spider-Man, and May doesn't depend exclusively on Peter anymore.

So for what non-MJ related reason is he behaving like a man child currently ?
    I would ask if serious, because this post is really nothing more than a thinly-veiled attack on MJ.

BANNED

Wow I nevenever knew people disliked Peter being a kid at heart for most of his run. So it's okay when characters like Wade and Human Torch perpetually behave like man children all of the time with a lack of worry?

Also many Japanese anime heroes are this way.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    I would ask if serious, because this post is really nothing more than a thinly-veiled attack on MJ.
    Pointing out that Peter allowing MJ to make her own choice to leave, unlike in OMIT, as a conscious choice can be an responsible action where Peter is no longer actively burdening MJ and his own life with responsibilities they might not feel prepared to handle is now an character insult? Maybe you just still really angry about SSM#31, because that kind of response just sounds incredibly... defensive much ?

Pointing out that Peter allowing MJ to make her own choice to leave, unlike in OMIT, as a conscious choice can be an responsible action where Peter is no longer actively burdening MJ and his own life with responsibilities they might not feel prepared to handle is now an character insult? Maybe you just still really angry about SSM#31, because that kind of response just sounds incredibly... defensive much ?
    Not serious. Okay.

It's fine if you don't like MJ or the Peter/MJ ship, but let's not pretend that you aren't making some thinly veiled insults to a ship that you hate.

(You know, even Stan said MJ was his favorite. And if a Spidey pairing is Stan approved, that's good enough for me.)

Fantastic Member

Not serious. Okay.

It's fine if you don't like MJ or the Peter/MJ ship, but let's not pretend that you aren't making some thinly veiled insults to a ship that you hate.

(You know, even Stan said MJ was his favorite. And if a Spidey pairing is Stan approved, that's good enough for me.)
    You still have to explain how its an insult to MJ for considering the act of Peter letting her choose a stable life option an responsible adult act.

(Since Stan said he was really angry about Conway killing Gwen, maybe they should bring her back then ? )

You still have to explain how its an insult to MJ for considering the act of Peter letting her choose a stable life option an responsible adult act.

(Since Stan said he was really angry about Conway killing Gwen, maybe they should bring her back then ? )
    I don't have to actually explain anything because I don't think anything I say will satisfy you. So let me ask you a question. Do you really think Marvel is never, ever going to ship tease Peter and MJ again?

(So how come you don't say Peter moving on from Gwen is a mark of maturity? )
    Last edited by Kevinroc; 09-14-2014 at 10:51 PM.

Fantastic Member

I don't have to actually explain anything because I don't think anything I say will satisfy you. So let me ask you a question. Do you really think Marvel is never, ever going to ship tease Peter and MJ again?

(So how come you don't say Peter moving on from Gwen is a mark of maturity? )
    I only asked because you just accused me of insulting MJ over a citation of an recent event in the book; you know, since it sounded like you didn't like the idea of a good thing coming out of MJ leaving Peter.

Gwen's circumstances are much similar to Uncle Ben's which by no means is conscious choice, as with MJ.
    Last edited by Pako; 09-14-2014 at 11:38 PM.

I only asked because you just accused me of insulting MJ over a citation of an recent event in the book; you know, since it sounded like you didn't like the idea of a good thing coming out of MJ leaving Peter.

Gwen's circumstances are much similar to Uncle Ben's which by no means is conscious choice, as with MJ.
    My point is that the idea that Peter and MJ breaking up (when did they actually get back together?) in the manner that they did isn't actually a sign of maturity. It's an illusion. Because anyone who thinks they won't be ship teased again in the future needs to understand that comics are built on something called "the illusion of change." There were people here who thought Peter and MJ would never be ship teased after OMD. And then never again after OMIT. Speaking strictly circumstantially, why should we see the Post-Superior thing any differently?

So now Peter can have his awkward make-out sessions with Silk or whoever, guilt-free.

Fantastic Member

My point is that the idea that Peter and MJ breaking up (when did they actually get back together?) in the manner that they did isn't actually a sign of maturity. It's an illusion. Because anyone who thinks they won't be ship teased again in the future needs to understand that comics are built on something called "the illusion of change." There were people here who thought Peter and MJ would never be ship teased after OMD. And then never again after OMIT. Speaking strictly circumstantially, why should we see the Post-Superior thing any differently?

So now Peter can have his awkward make-out sessions with Silk or whoever, guilt-free.
    Oh I see, you based everything off meta belief of MJ and Peter getting back together, so nothing else in between matters. I'm personally basing the characterization as presented within the context of the current story, so there's really no comparison. I don't read books like in such a cynical manner; so meh.

Still, you aren't actually pointing out why you say its an insult though.

Oh I see, you based everything off meta belief of MJ and Peter getting back together, so nothing else in between matters. I'm personally basing the characterization as presented within the context of the current story, so there's really no comparison. I don't read books like in such a cynical manner; so meh.

Still, you aren't actually pointing out why you say its an insult though.
    Technically, I said they would be ship teased again in this thread. I didn't say they would become a couple again.

Although it's hard not to be so cynical when the foundation of everything Spidey in the last few years is OMD. (And I have read/watched stories that have much more disturbing content than anything Marvel has ever, or will ever, publish. So my hatred of OMD is really based on my finding it a horrible failure on a basic story telling level.)

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by Heasensy32 View Post
    Wow I nevenever knew people disliked Peter being a kid at heart for most of his run. So it's okay when characters like Wade and Human Torch perpetually behave like man children all of the time with a lack of worry?

Also many Japanese anime heroes are this way.
    Those two aren't geniuses nor did they make a demonic deal to mind wipe the entire universe and end their marriage as well as kill their unborn child because they could't live without their Aunt who had accepted death.
    Last edited by Sardorim; 09-15-2014 at 02:16 AM.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    People say 'man-child' when what they really mean is 'he's not married to MJ'.
    Not married to MJ and/or not gonna father Spider-Girl....

Quote Originally Posted by Sardorim View Post
    He is a man-child who didn't have his life together after OMD. Heck, Spock managed to turn his life around and make Peter a highly successful and potentially rich man in the short time he was controlling Peter's body. Says a lot about Peter considering that he's supposed to be better and smarter than Doc Ock.
    You could refer to Peter Parker as a Man child or a Peter Pan. SpOck tried to be Spiderman and tried to be arrogant about it by referring to himself as a Superior Spiderman, obviously referring to his version being superior to Parker's version. But look what happened in the end. Otto tried to make Parker into a successful business man and successful super hero, but all he achieved was to isolate himself and alienate himself from everyone else, until Otto had to concede, Peter Parker makes a better Spiderman, and Otto died to make that happen.

Maybe we do see Peter Parkers lifestyle as a Man child, but one thing Dan Slott did achieve, and that is, that Peter Parker could not be the successful his Spiderman, with all the encumbrances that Otto tried to heep on Peters life, because it doesn't work. It may look easy, what Peter does, but anybody who tries to do it soon finds out, you can't put in the effort that Spiderman puts into the hero job, if you have to juggle other responsibilities. The magic of what Peter Parker does is the love he puts into it. You can see what Otto did to the Black Cat/Spiderman relationship. Brutalising villains is not the way to be a successful Spiderman.
    Last edited by jackolover; 09-15-2014 at 02:45 AM.

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

Peter Pan has an unhealthy obsession with being around young children and putting their lives at risk. Despite Peter being pretty immature he at least doesn't surround himself with little boys and girls, like Tween or younger, and has them fight dangerous armed pirates or the such with him.

Spock's personally failing, arrogance, doesn't change that he made Peter highly successful and did stomp crime down pretty hard. If he wasn't overly arrogant and planned back-ups to the Spider-Bots than things would have turned out differently. That's his personally failing, he refused to admit that his Spider-Bots were failing him, and refused to retune them, even though he was constantly being informed of criminal activity from other outlets that his Spider-Bots weren't catching.

Peter can be successful and have a stable career as well as being educated. Heck, Batman is able to do it and you wanna know why? Because he delegates duties to others and remains mostly hands off save for the big decisions or the such and it works. Peter could easily do the same with his genius intelligence and ability to win the hearts and loyalty of others. All it takes is for him to trust those under him to do what they're being paid to do and not try and run the whole thing entirely by himself.

BANNED

Man-chil, how about his,behavior in the relaunched Amazing Spider-man title, is that an example of a Man-child or not ?