Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default James Marsden on His "X-Men" Future: 'It’s Out of My Hands'

The franchise's former Cyclops star doesn't expect to be donning his signature visor again anytime soon.

Full article here.

Extraordinary Member

Maybe. I guess by the end of DOFP, it'll be clear just where the X-Movieverse is heading.

I'm one of those few Pre-Whedon Cyclops fans ('boo! hiss!'), and in hindsight I think Marsden did a fine job playing Scott, considering the material he was given to work with.

Nice to see that he seems to be taking this as a champ (adult Cyke could have appeared in some flashback or the other from before Logan's joining or something), but it's probably also noteworthy that the absence of Scott and Jean (and Professor X as well) was pivotal to the original DoFP story: Xavier, Scott, and Jean were then still considered the heart and soul of the X-Men. Cut out the heart and the body dies. That was the jist of it.
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

I thought Marsden was excellent. Shame Cyclops was treated poorly in the films. If he comes back, it would be a definite reason for me to see future X-Men films. His professionalism is nice to hear too.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

Yeah, I don't think a lot of people question Marsden's ability to portray Cyclops. I was certainly one of the skeptical ones because of his youth, but he was fine. Rather, Singer and the writers just simply had no idea what to do with him properly. Even his departure in X3 could've simply been, "I need a break. Good bye all," as he rides his motorcycle into the sunset.

I think Marsden nailed the pre-Madelyne Pryor Scott perfectly, but he sadly never got the spotlight to showcase his talents.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

BANNED

I truly hated what Fox did to the Cyclops character in those movies. This wasn't Scott Summers, it was a whining idiot who seemed like he couldn't lead a cub scout troop, much less the X-Men.

I was hoping they would redeem him in the third movie, but noooooooooooooooooo, they just made him a bigger whiner and then killed him off camera!!!!!!!!!

I believe Mardsen could have done a good job with a good script, but sadly he got dealt a really crappy hand in these movies. Hopefully at some date in the future Fox will have to reboot the whole thing (to keep the rights and because Jackman can't play Wolverine forever) and then maybe we'll get a movie Cyclops worthy of the name.

Spectacular Member

I'm so disappointed that Cyclops will never play a major role in any of these films.

That being said I'd much rather see Cyclops as a main character in a reboot then in any of these films, given how poorly his character was treated.

Never liked him as Cyclops. It's a shame Hamm and Ducovny are so old now

BANNED

X-Men 5: Remember That Guy Who's Supposed to be Our Leader?

James Marsden portrayed Cyclops exactly how I would imagine him from the comics. It was so weird that he was killed in the third movie, does he ever die in the comics?

I hope somehow in a future movie Cyclops would come back portrayed by James Marsden.

^He was briefly thought lost when he merged with Apocalypse at the conclusion of The Twelve, but that was reversed soon enough. Other than that, he's only died in alternate timelines.
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

Sad to hear as I am both a Cyclops and James Marsden fan.

Even though I thought it was quite well done in X3 I still am not comfortable with Scott actually being deceased in a decent Marvel property,

It's possible they could recast for the Apocalypse film, but it's still unknown I think whether the film will alter the future or anything (Such as Scott's origins as seen in the first Wolverine movie).

Fictional Computer Hacker August_Gorman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rei View Post
    James Marsden portrayed Cyclops exactly how I would imagine him from the comics. It was so weird that he was killed in the third movie, does he ever die in the comics?

I hope somehow in a future movie Cyclops would come back portrayed by James Marsden.
    I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure part of the reason he died off so early in X3 was because Bryan Singer wanted to use him in Superman Returns, which was being filmed right around the same time.
    ____

Currently Reading: The Amazing Spider-Man, Attack On Titan, Fight Club 2, On Guard We Stand, Ultimate End
    ____

Gus Gorman: "Hey, man!"
    Lorelei Ambrosia: "That's his last name. He likes to be called Superman."