Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    All-New Member

Prey has a Native American protagonist.

Oh, and the Turok games.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Toreador View Post
    Could anybody say if there is a specific reason why there isn't more Black or ethnic characters playable in games (like a Black leading character Uncharted or a Middle Eastern Last of Us)? Like white characters are easier to express emotions or they are not a lot of ethnic game developers?

Would ethnicity affect how you buy a game or is it solely about the game play and story and you don't really care about the lead character's race or gender (or sexual orientation)? There use to be some criticism about female characters in games about they wouldn't sell because male gamers would feel awkward playing as a girl (before Tomb Raider became such a huge hit).
    There are way more white people in the US and other western countries, and that's where most of our games come from...beside Japan.

I think what we need is more minorities and other groups engaged in game design more than we need companies like Bioware or Naughty Dog to pander to demographics they don't understand, and miserably fail.

The Fine Young Capitalists are all about getting more games designed by women out there, and yet we have massive companies garner attention for making a character in their game gay, or the newest Batgirl and Thor publicity announcements.

Quote Originally Posted by CatAttacker View Post
    I think what we need is more minorities and other groups engaged in game design
    Doubtful that that would happen anytime soon. See, the thing is not that we're not playing these games; growing up in Holland, I remember that pretty much all the non-white kids (mostly the guys, though) were playing video games.
    But when it comes time to pick your higher education, guess what happens? Most POC students are not going to pick video game design as their career of choice- either of their own consideration, or because of pressure from their parents/family. "Med school, law school, or economics will give you more financial security". Game design, very much like art school, history, zoology, or literature, are considered more frivolous, less safe study courses.
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

Quote Originally Posted by Mormel View Post
    Doubtful that that would happen anytime soon. See, the thing is not that we're not playing these games; growing up in Holland, I remember that pretty much all the non-white kids (mostly the guys, though) were playing video games.
    But when it comes time to pick your higher education, guess what happens? Most POC students are not going to pick video game design as their career of choice- either of their own consideration, or because of pressure from their parents/family. "Med school, law school, or economics will give you more financial security". Game design, very much like art school, history, zoology, or literature, are considered more frivolous, less safe study courses.

And I can't honestly blame them. I assume programming and more specific areas, like "game development" would hold more staying power with possible employers.

I'm wondering where the "Person of Color" term came along in recent years. From my understanding, it feels kind of off to put everyone who isn't white in "people of color". Isn't that what Americans did sixty and up years ago?

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, Vice City Stories, The Ballard of Gay Tony

Micheal Jackson's Moonwalker.

Every Simpson's game

Ready To Rumble Boxing
    Last edited by Mutant God; 10-03-2014 at 08:24 PM.

The Suffering had a brown protagionist. (At least I think so.)

Incredible Member

I also forgot to mention the Def Jam wrestling games.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Def_Jam_Vendetta

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Def_Jam:_Fight_for_NY

Now true enough they fall under the category of "Sports games" in which a lot of the characters are minorities BUT the wrestling industry in general is dominated by & features a lot more white guys then minorities so having two wrestling games where the majority of the roster consists of minorities is pretty unique to me.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Fifty Cent: Blood on the Sand

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    Fifty Cent: Blood on the Sand

lol I completely forgot about that game...Did anyone actually buy/play that & was it any good

Also another one that I don't think hasn't been mentioned.............Shaq Fu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaq_Fu

EDIT: My brother just reminded of another one of those "off the wall" 90's games featuring basketball players

Michael Jordan: Chaos in the Windy City!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael...the_Windy_City
    Last edited by classicgmer; 10-07-2014 at 03:59 PM.