Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default If there was a new marvel now series which character reboot would be best for an lgbt character?

We've had a female Thor and a black captain America announced already. Iron man is an obvious next choice but a bit too obvious.

Someone suggested a gay hulk once which would be fascinating because of the themes of repression and finally letting all of that out as well as the anger over bigotry and the need to feel powerful once.

A transgender ms marvel would be interesting too because the - marvel stories are good metaphors for feminism including transgender rights. There may be more _ marvel books than would be sustainable though if there's more than two.

What do you think?

Victoria Hand. I loved her and they killed her. She was the most refreshing new character Marvel had, and she was interesting having a girlfriend who was so athletic, and Vic was a book clerk, AND, she was NORMAN OSBORNS secretary. Why didn't Marvel go somewhere with that? I'm not into transgender rights issues, but wasn't it lovely how Brittany Griner held that WNBA trophy like baby.
    Last edited by jackolover; 09-15-2014 at 02:09 AM.

Lick on, sweet prince. Sea Hound's Avatar

Hercules please.
    Partly because I love the character.
    Also because even though him having some sort of an affair with Northstar was alluded to, it was never unambiguously confirmed.
    In my head cannon Herc gets drunk and puts the moves on Captain America, who gets frightfully embarrassed and never speaks of it again. Please Marvel.

I'd love Madrox to pop out a transvestite dupe. Or I'd like his gay dupe to reappear.

Magik. She's never really had a relationship, so it wouldn't be much of a retcon. She's so terrifying with those she's close to; (remember how she emotionally speared her brother in Gillen's run?) so I'd love to see her with a girlfriend. Maybe even Valkyrie, who's familiar with mystical ****. The demon Russian sorceress and Asgardian warrior woman would be a really striking couple.
    Last edited by Sea Hound; 09-15-2014 at 02:11 AM.
    "Self has no time for this."

In terms of a "whole Marvel reboot"? Captain America could be an obvious closet case (1950's mentality to homosexuality - keep it secret, keep it safe ). As for "character reboot"... Andrew Garfield raised the good suggestion of a gay Spiderman, who date Flash Thompson. I could see that (bullied by the "straight jock" only to discover he is being picked on to hide the jock's own insecurities).

Or the "Emma is a post-ops trans female" theory is awesome. Make it happen, Marvel!

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    Someone suggested a gay hulk once which would be fascinating because of the themes of repression and finally letting all of that out as well as the anger over bigotry and the need to feel powerful once.
    I'm now imagining a more Hulk Smash version of this:

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Or the "Emma is a post-ops trans female" theory is awesome. Make it happen, Marvel!
    At this point I'm declaring that "fanon", it's not actually cannon but we should all accept it as such.

They've got a lot of minority issues in Ms Marvel already, doing a story where absolutely everything about Emma is self-realized including living out her gender really works for her character.
    Last edited by PretenderNX01; 09-15-2014 at 03:09 AM.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Tony Stark. It really wouldn't change his character and he would be out and proud, not giving a damn what anyone thought. Just change the string of females to males. Done.

This would be high profile enough to make a big difference, too, unlike DC's Green Lantern (no, not one of those GLs EVERYONE thinks of, the universe 2 re-imagined one that only appears in one book, Earth 2, and doesn't even headline it).
    Last edited by exile001; 09-15-2014 at 04:18 AM.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Hound View Post
    Hercules please.
    Partly because I love the character.
    Also because even though him having some sort of an affair with Northstar was alluded to, it was never unambiguously confirmed.
    In my head cannon Herc gets drunk and puts the moves on Captain America, who gets frightfully embarrassed and never speaks of it again. Please Marvel.
    Seconded!

Or for something completely different, Reed Richards. I love a good nerd. Going further, I'd love to see an lgbt character who's a good parent as well. Which could work with Herc, too, in an ineluctably less self-serious way, granted, but as for fun reading that might be preferable.

Ultimate Member

It's important to realize that in changing a character who is known to be "straight" (Tony Stark, Bruce Banner, Peter Parker, etc) you would be upsetting a lot of people who prefer the character as they already are.

It's one thing to create an "alternate" version of that character and have them take on the name of another hero (Kamala as "Ms. Marvel", Sam as "Captain America", Miles as "Spiderman") and quite another to change an already existing character for the purpose of enhancing diversity.

I don't see where you'd want to create that kind of backlash if you don't have to -- and moreover, it is somewhat unfair to fans of the character in question who might prefer them as they are: in the same way that I wouldn't want to see a "straight" Karma or Northstar, I likewise think it would be equally wrong make a "gay" Reed Richards or Scott Summers unless it took place in an alternate universe (similar to what was done with Wolverine in the X-Treme X-Men series).

Marvel has enough underutilized LGBT characters out there (Daken, Karolina, Prodigy, Mystique, Moondragon, Julie Power, etc) to where there isn't much need to go changing someone else's favorite characters for the purpose of increasing LGBT representation. Having Ororo, Shatterstar, Illyana or Loki come out as "bi" is one thing, but changing long established "hetero" characters would only play into the hands of those who claim that there is an 'agenda' out there to make everything "PC".

That said, I'd much rather see a new or original LGBT character (similar to the new Ms. Marvel) than have them 'reboot' an already existing character's sexuality. Granted -- just as with the alternate version of Wolverine -- it can be interesting to see a new take on such characters, but I likewise think that we should respect the long-term history of characters (and fanbases) that have already been established.

If we are talking established characters, however, my vote(s) -- as always -- go to Karolina Dean and Julie Power, with Mystique, Loki, Moondragon or Hercules as close second(s).

I'm not saying that it shouldn't be done (or discussed on this thread) -- I just that I know I'd be pretty ticked off if they suddenly decided to reboot Karolina as 'straight'... and it's only fair to consider that from both ends of the spectrum.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 09-15-2014 at 09:14 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    It's important to realize that in changing a character who is known to be "straight" (Tony Stark, Bruce Banner, Peter Parker, etc) you would be upsetting a lot of people who prefer the character as they already are.

It's one thing to create an "alternate" version of that character and have them take on the name of another hero (Kamala as "Ms. Marvel", Sam as "Captain America", Miles as "Spiderman") and quite another to change an already existing character for the purpose of enhancing diversity.

I don't see where you'd want to create that kind of backlash if you don't have to -- and moreover, it is somewhat unfair to fans of the character in question who might prefer them as they are: in the same way that I wouldn't want to see a "straight" Karma or Northstar, I likewise think it would be equally wrong make a "gay" Reed Richards or Scott Summers unless it took place in an alternate universe (similar to what was done with Wolverine in the X-Treme X-Men series).

Marvel has enough underutilized LGBT characters out there (Daken, Karolina, Prodigy, Mystique, Moondragon, Julie Power, etc) to where there isn't much need to go changing someone else's favorite characters for the purpose of increasing LGBT representation. Having Ororo, Shatterstar, Illyana or Loki come out as "bi" is one thing, but changing long established "hetero" characters would only play into the hands of those who claim that there is an 'agenda' out there to make everything "PC".

That said, I'd much rather see a new or original LGBT character (similar to the new Ms. Marvel) than have them 'reboot' an already existing character's sexuality. Granted -- just as with the alternate version of Wolverine -- it can be interesting to see a new take on such characters, but I likewise think that we should respect the long-term history of characters (and fanbases) that have already been established.

If we are talking established characters, however, my vote(s) -- as always -- go to Karolina Dean and Julie Power, with Mystique, Loki, Moondragon or Hercules as close second(s).

I'm not saying that it shouldn't be done (or discussed on this thread) -- I just that I know I'd be pretty ticked off if they suddenly decided to reboot Karolina as 'straight'... and it's only fair to consider that from both ends of the spectrum.
    Great post! Had to quote that for truth!

To answer the OP question if it has to be a "major" character in the MU I guess a new gay iron man would be my choice.

But I would rather Marvel revive Living Lighting from limbo( or some other LGTB character ) and make him or her a hit.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    Great post! Had to quote that for truth!

To answer the OP question if it has to be a "major" character in the MU I guess a new gay iron man would be my choice.

But I would rather Marvel revive Living Lighting from limbo( or some other LGTB character ) and make him or her a hit.
    I could actually see that with Tony Stark... in reality, "playboy" Hugh Hefner has admitted to experimenting with men so that wouldn't be as much of a stretch as maybe "family man" Reed Richards (no pun intended).

-Bisexual Steve Rogers: kid grows up n one of the queerest areas of the time, grows up believing LGBTQA+ people are weird and/or evil but he has feeling for the same sex, falls in love with Peggy tells himself "I'm cured", becomes a popsicle, defrosts in the future, in a more open minded world and realizes there's nothing wrong with him having feelings for the same or other sexes.

-Pansexual Tony Stark: He likes sex... that's it.

-Pansexual Peter Quill: He grows up in space, where there isn't any limitations regarding who you love.

-Bisexual Wolverine: He was originally intended to be bisexual by Claremont!

-Bisexual Ororo: Hopefully we will finally have a confirmation of Ororo/Yukio in the Storm series!

-Trans Emma Frost: Just read the damn thing.

-Bisexual Anya Corazón: Ok, not anywhere popular as the rest, but GOD, I've been waiting for her to come out since Lynn referred to her as her girlfriend in her first appearance! There's 0% chance, but it would be cool that, during Spider-Verse, AnyaxGwen becomes a thing ;D (Of course, Anya is gonna die during SV, so meh...)
    Last edited by Spider-Chan; 09-15-2014 at 10:58 AM.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    We've had a female Thor and a black captain America announced already. Iron man is an obvious next choice but a bit too obvious.

A transgender ms marvel would be interesting too because the - marvel stories are good metaphors for feminism including transgender rights. There may be more _ marvel books than would be sustainable though if there's more than two.

What do you think?
    How about none?
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Incredible Member

I find the idea of a gay Tony Stark strangely logical, like too obviously logical. Co-sign on that.

Edit: Same on the trangender! Emma Frost theory.

To clarify: This is meant to be a "passing of the mantle" thing? Where a new character takes over an existing identity?

If that's the case, I don't particularly care who they go with. I'd be fine with whatever as long as it's done in a way that makes sense.

However, there's plenty of existing LGBT characters I'd love to see get a push (Karma, Miss America, Wiccan and Hulkling, Moondragon and Phylla-Vell, Northstar, Striker, Julie Power, plenty more), and there's a few existing characters I think would be cool to see "revealed" as LGBT (Emma, Storm, X-23, Finesse, a few others). I also think we need to get a transgender superhero. Maybe create a new teenage hero who's transgender. Explore various trans issues. Even explore the question of whether to get surgery - a lot of trans people don't, after all. (Oh, which reminds me: Do not have their sex changed through magic, advanced science, or any other method that doesn't exist in reality. That's an absolute must. Don't go the science fiction route. Keep their trans status based in the real world.)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    I could actually see that with Tony Stark... in reality, "playboy" Hugh Hefner has admitted to experimenting with men so that wouldn't be as much of a stretch as maybe "family man" Reed Richards (no pun intended).
    I couldn't see Tony becoming gay. He's way to much of a womanizer and history is to long to all of sudden like guys...
    But I could see someone else take up the mantel. Ironman is also a pretty flexible role being that the suit gives the person the powers. All it would really need is a capable pilot with a "never say die" attitude.