Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

I really think this would have worked better with a different character. This feels like someone completely different which is a little off putting. It's a little weird seeing Babs act so immature I guess is the word I am looking for maybe? Yeah, I am just not sure how I feel about the preview exactly.

I think I was hoping it would be more like Batgirl Year One, but I didn't get that vibe here. This feels like Scott Pilgrim or something more clumsy which I think might be why I was a little disappointed. Year One was a fun somewhat lighthearted series, but in that Babs was dead set on being a hero and proving herself. She was very driven. Here, while it is just half an issue, doesn't seem like it is going to be much like Year One.

Astonishing Member

Looks pretty good. This is the first time I've seen anyone capture post-college life really well in a comic book.

♥♥عابث سولاناس♥♥ Park Slope Pixie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
    Looks pretty good. This is the first time I've seen anyone capture post-college life really well in a comic book.
    It's about as accurate a depiction of post-college life as Saved by the Bell was in depicting post-middle school life.

I'll need to see some overt high camp here to offset the nagging feeling that the creators are all trying a bit too hard to show "indie cool". It's coming off as forced as when McDonalds would use "hipster" appropriations in their tv ads. Yeah, like that flannel-clad beardo would really go for a Big Mac, lol.

And Dinah's booties are straight up Payless Shoe Source. Yeah I said it. </drops mic>

*takes swig of my Blue Bottle freetrade, smug in my unimpeachable indie cool*
    Last edited by Park Slope Pixie; 09-15-2014 at 12:40 PM.

Astonishing Member

Haha ouch.

I mean the preview kind of overdoes it, but that preview is pretty damn close to how my summer in Boston went.
    Last edited by Kid A; 09-15-2014 at 12:43 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by pixie_solanas View Post
    It's about as accurate a depiction of post-college life as Saved by the Bell was in depicting post-middle school life.

I'll need to see some overt high camp here to offset the nagging feeling that the creators are all trying a bit too hard to show "indie cool". It's coming off as forced as when McDonalds would use "hipster" appropriations in their tv ads. Yeah, like that flannel-clad beardo would really go for a Big Mac, lol.

*takes swig of my Blue Bottle freetrade, smug in my unimpeachable indie cool*
    Nah, it's pretty accurate, especially of a certain demographic.

Except, you know, the running after thieves and memory super powers, but that's to be expected. It's a genre book, after all.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Deniz Camp View Post
    'Overcompensation for the complaints of others' negates the notion that this is the book that they've always wanted to do, by definition. You're saying they're building this book based on what they perceive other people to want, rather than what they personally believe is the best direction.
    No, what I'm saying is that's how it appears to me to be not that they are in fact doing so. There's a difference. I'm in the same camp as pixie in that I think the writer might be trying to hard on a lot of level but as I said before I'll give it try.
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 09-15-2014 at 12:58 PM.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

♥♥عابث سولاناس♥♥ Park Slope Pixie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Deniz Camp View Post
    Nah, it's pretty accurate, especially of a certain demographic.

Except, you know, the running after thieves and memory super powers, but that's to be expected. It's a genre book, after all.
    The thieves and the memory powers were the most believable aspect.

I'll need some more bonafides here before I can label it accurate. The Doc Martens (so midwest suburb) were already a demerit in my indie book. I'm in the trenches here and I detest inauthenticity.

Now, i'm out. I've got to wait in line for Saturday brunch at Tartine.
    Last edited by Park Slope Pixie; 09-15-2014 at 12:58 PM.

Astonishing Member

LOL! Not a fan of Tartine, but I've been.

I gotta say, having been here just a few months, it feels very authentic to the area, and more than that it captures the age and feeling of living in a big city, the friends-as-family you develop, the f ups and hook ups and dress downs.

I don't know if I'll be into it long term but it works.

BANNED

Really liking the look and vibe of the whole thing. A pity it's wasted on Barbara and not Steph

This feels so unlike Barbara.

Barbara seems less competent and mature now.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Samurai View Post
    Really liking the look and vibe of the whole thing. A pity it's wasted on Barbara and not Steph
    It would be *perfect* with Steph, I wouldn't think twice before picking it up. I only recently read her Batgirl run and loved it.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Again, don't care. The previous direction wasn't good, so ignoring it is completely fine in my book. Just like Jeff Lemire ignoring the GA stuff before him was the best decision that he could have made. The book isn't "Batgirl meets Saw" anymore, fantastic.
    I don't care that you don't care. I'm not trying to get you to agree with me. Far from it. I'm just offering my two cents worth. To be honest I wasn't thrilled with the previous direction either and a more lighthearted Barbara is what I would have prefered from the start. This version doesn't seem to be what I'm looking for though but I hope you and other fans are able to enjoy at least. We need more lighthearted Bat titles.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

The binge drinking and random hookups doesn't scream Barbara I suppose. She always felt like one of the more responsible heroes to me, but that may be because I am so used to her as Oracle guiding people or being this driven Batgirl who is trying to outshine Bruce or Dick. So seeing her as the cliche college girl does feel out of character. I wonder how much they are going to focus on this new aspect to her character, as well as how this would have been if it was Steph instead of Babs here.

Still, my complaints aside, I am sure this book will sell great. Maybe it is too early to tell but it seems like it has caught on in that Ms Marvel crowd. So it will probably do well. I might follow it some and if my first impressions change then I might pick up the first trade down the line.

Danger Doll in pink! Chickfighter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Samurai View Post
    Agreed. I'll be giving it a try but I wish it was a Spoiler or even a Kickass Cass and Waffle Chef Steph comic.