Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carmen_Rider View Post
    It seems to be everybody's central to the story. Hard to identify an overrated Avenger. It's easier to identify someone who needs more exposure. Like Wonder Man and Hank Pym.
    I'm not sure I'd say that. There are usually some core dynamics that come to the fore.

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

Wolverine: He is not a superhero, he is an X-Man. There is a difference.

Black Widow: She is a great character, but she is not a superhero. Keep her in a spy team or something, not the main book.
    Cyclops was right

Protect the weak. Darth Phoenix's Avatar

Manits was a a little dull as an Avenger but get as she venture away.

Extraordinary Member

After thinking about it a bit I want to nominate Iron Man.

With a very specific caveat.

From the beginning the Avengers' very existance as a organization has been dependent on Tony Stark/Iron Man. They used the house he grew up in as their headquarters for years. His miltary connections helped them get thier security clearances.

It makes me wonder what the Avengers would look like WITHOUT Iron Man's organizational support(the closest we've come to ever seeing that is in the Luke Cage run Mighty Avengers which Iron Man has nothing to do with).

There are a bunch of rich Avengers (Wasp comes immediately to mind) that could handle all or part of Iron Man's team supporting duties.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Spider-man.

He's not really a team character and, since being added by Bendis, has largely been a background character, cut to for a one liner and, to my memory, has never been the focus or last man standing in his entire time as a Avenger.

Love Spidey, but he's not an Avenger.
    Spidey was an Avenger long before Bendis. Maybe not a front line team member but he's been a bona fide reservist going back to the early 90's. As for being the last man standing, I refer you to Marvel-Two-in-One Annual #2 when Spidey frees the Avengers to fight Thanos, and also AVX #9 when Spidey is the last man around and takes a beating to get Colossus and Magik to take each other out.

Saying Logan isn't a hero and not an Avenger is silly. Comic wise Cap might be his closest ally.

The Avengers redefined themselves as The Best of the Best, so Wolvie joined that group. It's time people got over it.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashingSabre View Post
    Wolverine: He is not a superhero, he is an X-Man. There is a difference.

Black Widow: She is a great character, but she is not a superhero. Keep her in a spy team or something, not the main book.
    Wolverine puts on spandex in the morning, and goes off to work punching out bad guys and saving the world. So really, the difference between being a super hero and an X-Men in his case is pretty negligable.

He frankly went around beating up bad guys long before the X-Men even existed sans the spandex.

Wolverine is the worst Avenger ever. He should not have joined.
    Luke Cage is vastly overrated.
    I prefer Julia Carpenter as Spiderwoman over Jessica Drew.
    Wasp is one of the most tenured Avengers, but she really does so little.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    After thinking about it a bit I want to nominate Iron Man.

With a very specific caveat.

From the beginning the Avengers' very existance as a organization has been dependent on Tony Stark/Iron Man. They used the house he grew up in as their headquarters for years. His miltary connections helped them get thier security clearances.

It makes me wonder what the Avengers would look like WITHOUT Iron Man's organizational support(the closest we've come to ever seeing that is in the Luke Cage run Mighty Avengers which Iron Man has nothing to do with).

There are a bunch of rich Avengers (Wasp comes immediately to mind) that could handle all or part of Iron Man's team supporting duties.
    I think in the modern era an Avengers team without Stark would probably be funded by SHIELD and the government. Sort of like what we're getting in the movies (though it looks like the movies are slowly moving away from that).

Wasp is currently funding the Uncanny team, though they're still using Starks house. And Cage is operating Mighty. But they don't quite have the resources that a Stark or a SHIELD would have. To get Quinjets and high tech fortresses would require resources on a whole other level than a Cage or a Wasp.

I thought Blue Marvel provided the Mighty Avengers with any transport and special equipment they may need.

Peace

Dr Druid, Jack of Hearts, Starfox...

Quote Originally Posted by tracksuitdraculabro View Post
    Saying Logan isn't a hero and not an Avenger is silly. Comic wise Cap might be his closest ally.

The Avengers redefined themselves as The Best of the Best, so Wolvie joined that group. It's time people got over it.
    I thought it was because sales were lagging so he and Spider-Man joined...

BANNED

Rogue--damn sick of her.

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    I thought it was because sales were lagging so he and Spider-Man joined...
    Technically not true. Sales spiked pretty hard once Bendis started the Disassembled story arc, which came before Spidey and Logan joined.

Of course, I don't think anyone can question the notion that Spidey and Logan are potentially good for sales. Still, I DO think them joining is in part a matter of Bendis wanting to use the characters and Marvel deciding that having big stars in their soon to be franchise title was a good idea.

I do think people really need to get over the notion of them not being Avengers though. They've been Avengers for a freaking decade. Issue for issue, a LOT of "classic" Avengers can't touch the number of issues they've been on the team in. If some don't like it then they don't like, but arguing they're not Avengers at this point is kind of silly.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post

I do think people really need to get over the notion of them not being Avengers though. They've been Avengers for a freaking decade. Issue for issue, a LOT of "classic" Avengers can't touch the number of issues they've been on the team in. If some don't like it then they don't like, but arguing they're not Avengers at this point is kind of silly.
    I agree, but would like to point out that quality and contribution should be considered over quantity if you're questioning the legitimacy of past Avengers compared to more recent ones.