View Poll Results: Does - should! - survival trumps everything ?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it does - therefore, Blackagar and Maximus should be allowed to walk away unscathed.

1 11.11%
  • No, it shouldn't - therefore, Blackagar and Maximus should be confronted over what they did.

5 55.56%
  • As long as there is a 616-line left to read, I don't have any horse in the race. Pass.

2 22.22%
  • Other reason - please, detail.

1 11.11%

Thumbs up "Welcome to a world of pain" (spoilers)

Magneto (2014-) 009-005.jpg

Why ?

That's a good question.

This last issue of the Magneto' serie actually caused me to question whether or not Blackbolt and Maximus should be allowed to walk away from this.
    And in general, should survival allow to walk away from everything ?

To me, the brothers should face the consequences of what they did.

They stripped away unsuspecting men, women and children of their lives around the globe. Which led to various different things:
    - The terrigen cloud causing the death of people directly through exposure.
    - The kidnapping, brutal experimentations, murders and various degree of hate crimes and racial speeches the nuhumans had to face since their "rebirth"...
    That was the "gift" they were given, for reasons that could be summerize as tactical moves against enemies both known (Thanos, in an attempt to thwart him finding his son) AND unknown (the mysterious menace hovering over the Inhumans and possibly Earth as a whole, according to Lineage).

The Illuminati closed their eyes on what Blackbolt and Maximus did, the same way they closed their eyes on what Namor did too.
    I won't go so far as to say this group is morally bankrupted - but I don't hold them in high regard either, at least not when it comes down to questioning actions that, indeed, are questionable.

Rather, I'm curious to see how Earth authorities would react if they came to learn of Blackbolt' survival.
    What he did would be considered as terrorism by any country whose population was hit by the terrigen cloud, and I don't think diplomatic immunity would protect him in this case (I think it can be lifted under a set of special circumstances that I wager terrorism is one of).

Anyway, I'd like to know what others think on this subject.
    Should Blackagar and Maximus be left alone after all is said and done - especially if a nuhuman do save the world from this mysterious menace - or should they be confronted over all the losses and damages they caused regardless of the outcome ? Does - should!- survival trumps everything else ?
    Thoughts ?
    "The means are as important as the end - we have to do this right or not at all.
    Anything less negates every belief we've ever had, every sacrifice we've ever made."

"Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

"No justice, no peace."

I guess the same thing could be said about Hope, Cyclops and all those who took an active part in rebooting the mutant gene.

I think it's a good question to ask. Maximus is mad and he built the device. Do we find him not guilty just due to this? But of the two brothers, Black Bolt bears full responsibility for not only authorizing the construction of the terrigen mist bomb but also for detonating it himself. A detonation that he did without alerting the royal family which caused confusion amongst the Inhumans. Subsequently, they weren't prepared and who knows how many Nuhumans got experimented on by AIM, killed by extremists, etc.

Nah.

The bomb felt less like an attempt to screw with Thanos or fight off some unspecified threat and more like a response to Attilan being so closely tied to human culture. Previously the Inhumans were shielded from us and could live as a very close-knit population in low numbers without worrying over their future; now that they're active on Earth they're inevitably going to come under the same crappy treatment as mutants. They could either lock their doors and hope no-one throws molotovs through the window (metaphorically) in the name of race hatred, or use a technomagic hail mary to drastically increase their numbers to the point where sudden extinction is no longer possible...albeit while terrorizing no small portion of the globe and getting a lot of innocent people hurt. Can't blame Black Bolt for picking option 2 in that situation, and I can't really blame a guy called 'Maximus the Mad' for iffy moral choices given that's kinda in his name.

As for the presented scans, I can't blame either man for the Red Skull being the Red Skull. Every big decision, even the absolutely good ones, have ripple effects that can easily be negative, and there's no way to predict every single one.

Blackbolt tried to unleash the T-bomb on the entire galaxy in War of Kings and was stopped by Crystal and Vulcan both of whom thought his plan was monstrous. When someone like Vulcan thinks who've gone to far, who have gone way over the moral event horizon.

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    I guess the same thing could be said about Hope, Cyclops and all those who took an active part in rebooting the mutant gene.
    I disagree about Cyclops, the Phoenix-induced mutants were created despite his direct interference. He never even tried to do something about the X-gene during his tenure as Phoenix host.
    You raised a good point about Hope, though she only was a delivery mechanism in this imo, she didn't engineer the Phoenix coming to Earth or her being its perfect host.
    Blackbolt and Maximus designed the delivery mechanism in their case however, with the explicit purpose of playing Thanos and thwart this unknown menace.

Right now, those inhumans are dead directly because of the brothers engineering their forced transformation in the first place.
    Hope would be akin to the terrigen bomb here.
    "The means are as important as the end - we have to do this right or not at all.
    Anything less negates every belief we've ever had, every sacrifice we've ever made."

"Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

"No justice, no peace."

We discussed this with some other main point in the other thread but give it a try:
    I will sort chronologic:

1.) Phoenix created a new big bang after the old universe died and also created Eternity and Dead as part of a master plan.

2.) The Celestial manipulate the genes of human ancestors after they failed with making the Deviants and than the Eternals out of them. It's part of their self preservations and research but also part of the Phoenix plan. If the Celestial known the plan of the Phoenix + Eternity + Dead is unknown but the manipulation will create meta-human when human evolution reach a certain point.
    3.) The X-Men encounters a scientist who can created a "cure" for mutants at that point the numbers of mutants reached a critical point humans who don't have powers are in danger of dying out. The X-Men freaked out after some adventures they were able to convince the scientist that keeping them that way is more important than the mutants own free will who seek such changes..WTF

4.)SW depowers most of human kind in an act of despair after she tried previously solve mutants problem with make them all mutant and solve nothing with that.

5.)Phonix steps in and give some human mutant powers(a hand full)....they didn't ask for that and no one them (note it is not clear was this Phoenix-Phoenix or Jean-Phoenix) It also ended in creating Hope previously.

6.) Cylops want to use the Phoenix to increase the numbers of mutants on the planet. He hadn't the chance to do so directly but is seems his action resulted in the increase of mutants on the planet....mutants who were previously plan human and didn't ask for this(again)

7.) Black Bolt drop the T-bomb human become inhumans .......which didn't ask for this.

My personal opinion is it always really bad when people force their perspective on you. "Human" should live their live like they want to.(The secret how to life in peace) I can accept to some degree what the Celestials and the Phoenix do especially the Phoenix is a higher power which created the reality of MU-616 but the X-Men as group, Cyclops and Black Bolt and even SW did overstep their boundaries way to far some hadn't the time to think through their actions but who did has some serious problem with moral justification.

Black Bolt as member of NA is with this action like the rest of the NA group morally bankrupt you can say it was necessary but you can say it was moral ...by the way it is funny but humanity didn't ask for being rescued by the NA.