BANNED

Default New 52 - best Green Arrow volume?

Alright, so I heard volumes 1 and 2 are bad, but that 3 and 4 are pretty good. I just ordered Green Arrow Volume 4: The Kill Machine off of Amazon. What are your opinions on the series? Best and worst volumes?

Always Rakzo

Vol. 4 onwards will certainly be the best since it's the whole Lemire/Sorrentino run.

I thought that Vol. 1 was mediocre for the most part, Vol. 2 was good while Vol. 3 was pretty terrible.

Volumes 4 and 5 are the best.

BANNED

The first volumes are pretty bad. The newest volume isn't great, though. It's typical overdone faux-mysticism stuff that you get everywhere nowdays. It could star any character and still be the same story. It feels like it was written for an original concept and Green Arrow was just shoehorned in. The art is patchy in places and not as appealing as people would have you believe. Lacks good coloring.

It's gotten better, but it's still not good Green Arrow fiction. It misses the point of the character.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ReverseReverseFlash View Post
    The first volumes are pretty bad. The newest volume isn't great, though. It's typical overdone faux-mysticism stuff that you get everywhere nowdays. It could star any character and still be the same story. It feels like it was written for an original concept and Green Arrow was just shoehorned in. The art is patchy in places and not as appealing as people would have you believe. Lacks good coloring.

It's gotten better, but it's still not good Green Arrow fiction. It misses the point of the character.
    _____D7HlbHqZTUiALCFBsIdS_my_*****.jpg_____

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

I've seen you pop up a few places and say this. To each his own, but this book is almost universally praised and you must be seeing things other people are not. The Green Arrow in the New 52 was never meant to be the old Oliver Queen - he's been de-aged by about 20 years - and the warrior for social justice aspect may come with time, but would feel really out of place with the character right now. As for faux-mysticism, other than not really knowing what that means, Lemire has added a layer of mythology, but about the only mysticism I see is the addition of Magus - who is one of the more interesting new characters to show up in the DCU in awhile. In addition, the supporting cast in the book has been fleshed out about as well as any book in the New 52.

As for the art - there you have gone too far Sorrentino is about as good as it gets. He has the paneling expertise of someone like David Aja, while not resorting to a purely minimalistic style. His art has a richness and depth you rarely see. And Maiolo is widely regarded as one of the best colorists in the business - to the point that they list him on the spine of the TPBs, something you never see. I will say that DC brass sees Sorrentino as a rising star who is destined for much bigger things.

All in all, Green Arrow from #17 (TPB #4) on is easily one the best 5 books DC publishes, and might be the best book overall that either of the Big 2 puts out monthly

Jet Pack Flying Hero The Rocketeer's Avatar

The entire Lemire run has been fantastic thus far.

I would rather forget about the previous volumes entirely.

Always Rakzo

Are you kidding me? These concepts are great because you would have never seen them coming in Green Arrow, that's called thinking outside of the box. It makes GA's universe much bigger and richer than ever.

And Sorrentino is one of the best artists in the industry, I don't know how anyone could think otherwise.

I'm sorry but no, I don't see how it misses the point of the character since his personality is still pretty much the same.