Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    Always nice to see, isn't it? I like a nice balance between non-violent solutions and punching robots until they explode.
    That and it adds layers to Superman's character. Showcasing he can be diplomatic when it calls for it. For instance

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Is that quote from one of Maggin's Superman Novels? It sounds like either Last Son of Krypton or Miracle Monday.
    Miracle Monday.

Hm. The thing I don't like about that moment in WHTTMOT is that I don't think it's terribly responsible for Superman to quit on a job literally only he can do, and that the world desperately needs him to be there for. Sure, he can say "I failed in my vow never to take a life and now I must give up my powers forever", but what happens next time Mongul shows up and destroys a continent because the Justice League wasn't able to stop him without Superman's help? Now all those deaths are on him.
    In WHTTMOT, all of his major villains are dead, it's implied most of the others are out of commission too, and the world just got a massive influx of heroes due to Crisis, including the similarly powerful Captain Marvel (and Superwoman and Vartox are also present). He comes across as borderline ready to retire by the time the story opens. That's a valid question, but I don't think that's a great example.
    Buh-bye

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    Miracle Monday.
    Figured it was one of those- thanks! In a way, I'm more okay with Bronze Age Superman deciding to give up his powers if he killed someone than I am with any other version of Superman just because no other version of Superman has been a super-hero since they were a kid. I think a decision like that is sort of childish in a "black and white morality" sort of way that I think works for Batman, but it only works for Superman if it's an ideal he's held since he was a child.

In WHTTMOT, all of his major villains are dead, it's implied most of the others are out of commission too, and the world just got a massive influx of heroes due to Crisis, including the similarly powerful Captain Marvel (and Superwoman and Vartox are also present). He comes across as borderline ready to retire by the time the story opens. That's a valid question, but I don't think that's a great example.
    Captain Marvel is great, seriously awesome. I don't think Vartox and Superwoman are in the same league as Cap and Superman, but Martian Manhunter, Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel would certainly help pick up Kal-El's retirement slack. That said, I really do think Superman is needed in most situations like that if only because he's got the most experience out of anyone. I agree that if there's any world that would be able to get by without Superman, it's that one, but what if Mxyzptlk decided to turn evil twenty or so years earlier? Superman kills him probably about the same way, and he voluntarily loses his powers and what? The first time Brainiac comes to Earth, we lose Metropolis. Billy Batson is in suspended animation in another universe, the super-heroes are not yet organized like they will be later on, in fact it's totally possible that cutting his career short keeps the Legion from coming into existence and starts the Kamandi timeline or something.

You are correct that Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow is not a great example just because he's close to the end of his career anyway, like how at the end of All-Star Superman, the world is prepared for the difficult, inevitable task of moving on. However, I think Superman giving up his powers in general is a bad idea, and something he should avoid. Especially when he's closer to the start of his career, when the world really does need him and he should be full of desire to make the world a better place.

Chronic MasterDebater The Beast's Avatar

Superman V.S. Muhammad Ali

Now I know Superman is losing, but even without his powers, Ali can't knock him down.

Then it turns out, Ali is such a great sportsman, he won't.

Indeed.