Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

too many amazing moments to choose from but one that stands out to me is Superman caring for the baby sun eater from All Star. Superman's compassion for all living things is one of the reasons why he is and always will be the greatest superhero and pop culture character ever. i just loved how he basically said "sure it has the potential to destroy a solar system but it was lost and needed my help." he took in this lost hungry creature and it repaid him by sacrificing itself fighting by his side.

the way Quitely drew this scene was incredibly touching. the way the baby sun eater touched Superman's face before it flew away was such a heartfelt moment. it's amazing Grant and Quitely made me care about a gelatinous blob monster.

It's so hard to choose just one. So here are a few of my favorites.

The girl attempting suicide in All Star Superman. "You're stronger than you think you are."
    Superman's speech to Manchester Black in "What's so funny...".
    Superman catching the falling helicopter and saving Lois in Superman: The Movie.
    Superman crushing General Zod's hand at the end of Superman II.
    The world of cardboard speech from the animated Justice League.
    "Burn" from For the Man Who Has Everything.

I'm sure I'll think of many more...

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

What all of you guys said, plus my own.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

*Just about anything from All-Star or Morrison's Action, the Maggin novels/short stories, by Mark Waid or Greg Pak.
    *I haven't even read the novel, but the fact that in Steelheart, where all the people to gain superhuman abilities have been corrupted by their abilities and turned the world into a hellhole, those who believe that one day heroes will emerge using their power to save instead of annihilate wear the "S" shield as a symbol of their faith.
    *Catching Lois in the first movie.
    *The end of the Flesicher short "Showdown": "Boy, have I got a story! What's the matter, bright-eyes? The opera get you down?" "Oh, just been dreaming I was Superman." "Mm. Fine Superman you'd make." "Well...I can dream, can't I?"
    *Literally any time he has ever winked.
    *Exactly one scene from Superman: Earth One, except for that dumb-as-hell last line:

*The moment in Superman II where Lex deduces how Superman beat the Kryptonians, and Clark taps his temple twice, smirks and gestures to Lex as if to say "hey, check out the big brain on this guy".
    *Almost anything by Samuel Hawkins in his Superboy stories (linked off of here, they are Taking Time, Strange Visitor, Tomorrow's Lesson, and Martha's Story), but particularly this bit from Martha's Story:
    "You see, there's just ... something about Clark. It's not his powers. It's ... him. He just glows. He radiates goodness. I don't know if it's something about where he's from. I don't know if he's just special. I like to think that Jonathan and I had a little bit to do with it. But whatever it is about him, it is to me the most precious thing in the world. And I could hardly stand to think that it might someday not be there any more.
    But I guess I didn't need to worry. Whatever it is that a body needs to have that kind of power and it not ... darken their soul, he's got it. We're all so fortunate. The person who needed it the most, somehow got it.
    I think what's most special about Clark is his appreciation for life. His reverence for it. He learned, much too young, just how fragile life is. How tenuous. And how rare. After all, he knows better than anyone how far across the universe you can go and never bump into another living thing. I think that's all combined to make him truly appreciate other people. He knows how special they are, and how important it is to hold on to them.
    With that mind of his, and being able to go anywhere, and being able to see anything, the universe is just one big playpen for that boy. He goes to the center of the Earth, and to the center of stars. He's gone back in time to watch the sun turn on, and the moon form, and even though he won't exactly talk about it, I think once he even went back and watched life begin. He watches atoms collide, and listens to them as they do it. He watches things happen on other planets while everyone else in the room is watching TV. He picks up more in an afternoon than most scientists learn in a lifetime.
    It says so much about him. He's seen more of this world and this universe than anyone who's ever lived. And yet, he thinks people are the most special things in it."
    *Part of the funeral procession in Superman #149, where various alien species are paying their respects: "He befriended all--human or otherwise! --He saved my world from destruction!" "He could have ruled the universe! But he unselfishly chose to help others!"
    Last edited by Dispenser Of Truth; 05-07-2014 at 11:06 AM.

So many, and I'm sure I'll post again with more, but...

Handing the Kryptonite ring to Batman: "I want the means to stop me...to be in the hands of the man I can trust with my life."

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Best memory was when I first moved to Chicago and sat in my apartment watching Superman III. I'm not joking.

Christopher Reeve's smile at the end of the first Superman movie

I think all my favorites have been mentioned, except this one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csjjkGzixAg
    I am NOT comics.

BANNED

So many choices. Going to have to go with the one that isn't listed already. Least I think isn't listed already

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Legato View Post
    So many choices. Going to have to go with the one that isn't listed already. Least I think isn't listed already
    Yeah this is the scene that made Superman my favorite superhero and bumped Batman to #2.

Quote Originally Posted by L.R Johansson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dupersuper View Post

I'd be really hard pressed to think of anything better than these, or any of the other ones posted here already.

Like many others here Death of Superman brought me back to collecting Superman comics and comics in general. Back then in my naivete I thought they had really killed him, and embarassingly enough I shed a few tears for the passing of such an Icon. So I must give these pages their due.

Deathofsuperman.jpg

7344542_orig.jpg

and of course......

3386_4_0000000082.jpg

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    *Just about anything from All-Star or Morrison's Action, the Maggin novels/short stories, by Mark Waid or Greg Pak.
    *I haven't even read the novel, but the fact that in Steelheart, where all the people to gain superhuman abilities have been corrupted by their abilities and turned the world into a hellhole, those who believe that one day heroes will emerge using their power to save instead of annihilate wear the "S" shield as a symbol of their faith.
    *Catching Lois in the first movie.
    *The end of the Flesicher short "Showdown": "Boy, have I got a story! What's the matter, bright-eyes? The opera get you down?" "Oh, just been dreaming I was Superman." "Mm. Fine Superman you'd make." "Well...I can dream, can't I?"
    *Literally any time he has ever winked.
    *Exactly one scene from Superman: Earth One, except for that dumb-as-hell last line:

*The moment in Superman II where Lex deduces how Superman beat the Kryptonians, and Clark taps his temple twice, smirks and gestures to Lex as if to say "hey, check out the big brain on this guy".
    *Almost anything by Samuel Hawkins in his Superboy stories (linked off of here, they are Taking Time, Strange Visitor, Tomorrow's Lesson, and Martha's Story), but particularly this bit from Martha's Story:
    "You see, there's just ... something about Clark. It's not his powers. It's ... him. He just glows. He radiates goodness. I don't know if it's something about where he's from. I don't know if he's just special. I like to think that Jonathan and I had a little bit to do with it. But whatever it is about him, it is to me the most precious thing in the world. And I could hardly stand to think that it might someday not be there any more.
    But I guess I didn't need to worry. Whatever it is that a body needs to have that kind of power and it not ... darken their soul, he's got it. We're all so fortunate. The person who needed it the most, somehow got it.
    I think what's most special about Clark is his appreciation for life. His reverence for it. He learned, much too young, just how fragile life is. How tenuous. And how rare. After all, he knows better than anyone how far across the universe you can go and never bump into another living thing. I think that's all combined to make him truly appreciate other people. He knows how special they are, and how important it is to hold on to them.
    With that mind of his, and being able to go anywhere, and being able to see anything, the universe is just one big playpen for that boy. He goes to the center of the Earth, and to the center of stars. He's gone back in time to watch the sun turn on, and the moon form, and even though he won't exactly talk about it, I think once he even went back and watched life begin. He watches atoms collide, and listens to them as they do it. He watches things happen on other planets while everyone else in the room is watching TV. He picks up more in an afternoon than most scientists learn in a lifetime.
    It says so much about him. He's seen more of this world and this universe than anyone who's ever lived. And yet, he thinks people are the most special things in it."
    *Part of the funeral procession in Superman #149, where various alien species are paying their respects: "He befriended all--human or otherwise! --He saved my world from destruction!" "He could have ruled the universe! But he unselfishly chose to help others!"
    My all time favorite moment too. One of the rare moments that you actually see Superman using his brain.

BANNED

And then there's this scene: it's why I love Superman, it's why I love Pre-Crisis DC and Earth-Two in particular: Kal-L, the original Superman

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Yup and yup again. Everything you need to know why Superman is so great can be found in All Star Superman and in Christopher Reeve's peerless portrayal of the character and these scenes are the best examples of both.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.