Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

the problem with threads like these is that i always arrive too late and most of the stuff i would have posted has been posted anyway. well to contribute to the thread, i'd like to add the ending to maggin's Last Son of Krypton and the bus-dog bit, the first miracle monday and the ending to maggin's miracle monday.
    Thank you for screaming, Stefanie-san!

Maybe not the deepest or most meaningful, but I always liked it.....

and.....

Where are your vaulted plans now Batman???

Quote Originally Posted by Kurosawa View Post
    And then there's this scene: it's why I love Superman, it's why I love Pre-Crisis DC and Earth-Two in particular: Kal-L, the original Superman

What is this from? It looks fantastic!

As for my own, of course it's difficult to argue with "You're stronger than you think you are" from All-Star Superman # 10.
    I also love most of Morrison's run on Action Comics, from the beginning where young, headstrong Clark Kent decides to use his incredible powers to make the world a better place and f*ck what anyone else thinks, to the very end where an older, more experienced Kal-El has won his final battle against the fifth dimensional mastermind Lord Vyndktvx. That whole arc is pretty damn great.

Another personal favorite of mine is the ending to Miracle Monday by Elliot Maggin. I wish I had a direct quote, but basically CW Saturn, the devil himself, has possessed an innocent young woman and is using her body to wreak havoc all around the globe. He gloats to Superman that the only way to stop the him is to kill her. Naturally, Kal refuses. He's never killed, certainly not killed an innocent person, and he isn't about to start. He says he'll fight Saturn to the edges of the universe if he has to, for as long as it takes, even if it takes forever. In a way, he says, he doesn't suppose there's any greater purpose for a superman.

That moment, that climactic moment, exemplifies the triumph of intellect and romance over brute force and cynicism. It's everything I like to see in real life or in stories. It's beautiful, and it's everything Superman is about.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    Another personal favorite of mine is the ending to Miracle Monday by Elliot Maggin. I wish I had a direct quote, but basically CW Saturn, the devil himself, has possessed an innocent young woman and is using her body to wreak havoc all around the globe. He gloats to Superman that the only way to stop the him is to kill her. Naturally, Kal refuses. He's never killed, certainly not killed an innocent person, and he isn't about to start. He says he'll fight Saturn to the edges of the universe if he has to, for as long as it takes, even if it takes forever. In a way, he says, he doesn't suppose there's any greater purpose for a superman.

That moment, that climactic moment, exemplifies the triumph of intellect and romance over brute force and cynicism. It's everything I like to see in real life or in stories. It's beautiful, and it's everything Superman is about.

That bit was absolutely beautiful.
    Thank you for screaming, Stefanie-san!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Action Ace View Post
    I think all my favorites have been mentioned, except this one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csjjkGzixAg
    Blind link Superman?

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    What is this from? It looks fantastic!
    From the All-Star Comics run of the 70s - it's collected in the All-Star Comics Showcase tpb if you want to find a quick and wallet-easy way to read it, albeit without the colors

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    Thank you very much. Fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilden B. Lade View Post
    From the All-Star Comics run of the 70s - it's collected in the All-Star Comics Showcase tpb if you want to find a quick and wallet-easy way to read it, albeit without the colors
    Really? Awesome! I have to get my hands on that now!

What a great idea for a thread. I'll add my own favorite moment(s).

#1 for me has to be the Death of Superman to Doomsday. I was 13 when that happened, and though i'd always LIKED Superman, i'd never really been an avid reader or fan. But the fact that this global icon was going to be killed off just amazed me. I remember using all of my allowance to buy the collected trade when it came out and I just studied those pages for weeks. This was my first real intro to Superman.

#2 is actually from Superman Returns. Despite my obsession with the Death of Superman trade, I never really got into comics as a kid. I was always too busy playing Nintendo or with my LEGOs to read comics. But as i've said before, I still always carried a soft spot for Superman. So when Superman Returns came out, I went to the midnight premiere at my local theatre. I went with a friend who was obsessed with Smallville, even though I'd never seen it. He thought the movie was okay, but wished they'd cast Tom Welling. I was floored. Superman Returns was amazing to me. And the main reason why was the Airplane Rescue sequence. For the first time we really got a chance to see what Superman could do with big-time special effects. Say what you will about Superman Returns or Brandon Routh, but that sequence, to me, was perfect. And its what finally ignited the Superman fandom in me.

#3 is the lead-up trailers to Man of Steel. The voiceover of Jor-El quoting Morrison while Superman is flying skyward is totally spot-on. You may hate MoS or love it, but those trailers were epic.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ultiman View Post
    #3 is the lead-up trailers to Man of Steel. The voiceover of Jor-El quoting Morrison while Superman is flying skyward is totally spot-on. You may hate MoS or love it, but those trailers were epic.
    Speaking of MOS my favorite Superman moment for that is when Clark flies for the first time. Seeing the look of pure joy when he successfully manages to fly is like a little kid managing to fully ride his bike for the first time.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dupersuper View Post
    I was disappointed when that wasn't adapted into the animated movie.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Legato View Post
    I was disappointed when that wasn't adapted into the animated movie.
    I suspect it's because they did it with the intention that it would eventually be airing on Cartoon Network, and thought that would be too touchy a subject.

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

I've never seen the All-Star adaptation. How much was removed/changed?

Incredible Member

1978. I was in first grade and Superman :The Movie came out. I still have my Superman The Movie lunchbox to this day.