Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    They always had been from earth... earth-prime/0. The confusion came from a sentence than Levitz writed and was meaning to represent than in the future the legion had only a partial knowledge from the present, so some facts they knew from history are false and this way avoid the contradictions with the present continuity.
    Thanks, I didn't know that and had never heard of it before. I just assumed it was the future of the "main" Earth.

This is exactly why I feel any Non-main Earth book should be clearly labled on the cover.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    They always had been from earth... earth-prime/0. The confusion came from a sentence than Levitz writed and was meaning to represent than in the future the legion had only a partial knowledge from the present, so some facts they knew from history are false and this way avoid the contradictions with the present continuity.
    For what it's worth, this is the first time I've ever heard this theory of what the line meant. Everyone else I've ever heard discuss this clearly assumed this meant that the most recent Legion series took place on a different Earth than the regular one, many assuming it meant Earth 2.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    For what it's worth, this is the first time I've ever heard this theory of what the line meant. Everyone else I've ever heard discuss this clearly assumed this meant that the most recent Legion series took place on a different Earth than the regular one, many assuming it meant Earth 2.
    Yeah, I took it that way too. Especially with the direct reference to Steppenwolf killing Superman in the present day.

Then I read an interview with Levitz and he was vague about the meaning. Part of me just assumed that Levitz was throwing a spanner in the works right at the death.

I doubt Thor-Ul's theory actually...
    Last edited by WillieMorgan; 09-22-2014 at 05:34 PM.

Astonishing Member

The implication was clearly that the Legion was from Earth 2, but it was left intentionally vague so they could hedge their bets. I mean they even had dead Earth 2 Superman's costume, didn't they?

If JL 3000 became a huge, runaway hit that everyone was talking about, you can bet Legion would have been from Earth 2 and it would have been a neat little thing (although not for Legion fans, since Earth 2 is being destroyed). But because the response to JL 3000 has been largely lukewarm, and a number of fairly popular creators are probably fans of the Legion and want to play with that concept (Lemire, Kindt, even Morrison likes to dip his toes into it), the Legion will once again be the future for the 'main' universe, which is probably the more logical choice given the Legion Lost title (not that you couldn't have gotten around that). And in the meantime, JL3000 becomes a fringe, alt-universe title where Giffen is given complete creative freedom for the remainder of its existence, hence BWAHAHA, Camelot 3000, WW continuity, etc.

I still maintain that Legion - this Legion, with its rich history - is a concept that is loaded with potential. I'm happy it seems to be return. I am slightly unsure that DC has anyone working for them who can do the concept justice, or at least in a way that I'd like to see it, but the first step is giving them a title and some visibility.

Of DC's regular stable of writers, I wouldn't mind seeing Pak give it a shot, admittedly.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

I think the only thing we can 100% say about this is that it's a bloody mess, whatever your interpretation.

Astonishing Member

Not really. I think it likely could have been, but because they kept it vague it's all fairly straightforward and simple now; The Legion is the future, which is why the LEgion Lost team interacted with the present so much. JL 3000 is a multiverse title, and in time it will likely be forgotten as anything more than a fun run.

Going forward it seems fairly obvious that the Legion is their pick, especially with rumors of movies coming around.

The one that appeared in Morrison's AC...where are they from? They are not from Earth 2.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Those were LEGION members as adults- coming back even farther to aid in Superman's darkest hour. They also were of a timeline in which some rough stuff happened due to our demiurge imp (can't spell his name right now).

That's the perfect solution though! Keep the Levitz stuff and just jump ahead further in time. Bring Imra, Rokk, and Garth into it as either older characters- or time travelers and bam! Brainy doesn't have to age much. You have your core characters and can create new ones around them/legacies of the other past Legionaries. No need to toss out the history and no need to be reliant on it either.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    The one that appeared in Morrison's AC...where are they from? They are not from Earth 2.
    They're from a timeline that never came to pass. A potential future that arose from corruption in the past. They went back and prevented that future from occuring; that was the thrust of that thread of the Action Comics plot.