Super Moderator

Default The Mission: "Mighty Avengers," and the Importance of "Chameleons"

In the second installment of THE MISSION, Joseph Illidge connects Marvel's "Mighty Avengers" series to "chameleons" working within the system.

Full article here.

"How Obama was playing the long hand with his decisions and maneuvers, within a governmental and political structure designed to prevent people like him from executing a master plan, realizing an agenda. How most people maligning him had no understanding of the pit of vipers he deals with, and by publicly attacking him at every turn, those attackers were undermining him in his mission."

There is no doubt that this is true. Its a calculated attempt to make sure that policies and strategies under Obama's presidency fail. These SOB's are the worst of the worst selfish scum.

I really wanted to support and like "Mighty Avengers", but three issues in was more than enough for me.

I'm also disappointed that the next volume of "Mighty Avengers" will have Peter Parker as a member of the team. Ever since Peter died, I've just been tired of Spider-man. I'm sure it's not gonna last, but I think I'll skip this next volume of "Mighty Avengers" (at least until "Mighty Avengers" #22.NOW.1.PERFECT JUMPING ON POINT comes out).

Fantastic Member

What really helps Mighty Avengers, in my rulebook, are the following:

1) It's well written. I really don't care what the big threat of the week is, the dialogue and pacing are great.
    2) It's got a lot of "fan-favorite" characters. Usually this means "2nd tier," but they all have distinct personalities and Al Ewing understands them and keeps them in-character.
    3) It's old-school Avengers-y. It's not galactic, cosmic or mind-bending and that's a good thing. It's really about the heroes and how they interact with each other in the face of challenges. Again, Al Ewing's grasp of the individuals allows for great interplay, showcasing how well the team can work together.

I was going to jump ship when they re-launched it, because I thought it was unfair for Falcon to unseat Luke Cage as leader of his own team, but based on everything he's given me so far, Mr. Ewing has earned my attention. And my dollars (all 4 of them).
    Currently Reading: A handful of series that will be canceled soon.

I'm not sure its being relaunched for these reasons specifically. One of my LCS was putting these in the discount bin within months of it hitting the shelves.
    The core concept was sound, but the inclusion to the overstretched avengers brand worked against it as that readership was already having their budgets pummeled and patience tested.
    The big kick in the guts came from all those cross overs. Infinity, inhumanity, original sin. The book never got to breathe, never asserted its identity. In the mind of editoral these tie ins goose the sales but also expose to new readers. But I feel the book just became an optional extra.
    That story about the Blue Marvels sons gave us an insight to what Ewing was wanting to do with this book (the Blade plot was a bit of a dud, vampires are over and the mystery member thing unnecessary) but just as it started to shine there came another belaboured tie in...
    Then there's the artist... Fine in his own right, but the Schiti interlude showed what they needed.
    My point is that's for all the hype about linewide diversity Marvel never really gave it its best chance, simply on terms of what any new series needs to establish its own brand identity. They thought avengers banner, spiderman cameos, high selling artist and event tie ins would be all it needed. Instead these things got in the way and it potentially becomes a target for the 'people dont buy black books' crowd. Compare it to Ms Marvel, I mean that project should be the textbook for this stuff.
    The question to be asked of the new title is: what happens when Steve Rogers returns. Dan Slott had to put Peter Parker back in time for the last movie so we know it will happen here.