yonoid818

Default Here's to Beat-to-Crap Comic Books

Hey everyone,

I used to have a profile here at CBR forums, but I haven't been here in a loooong time, so they must've purged a lot of the old stuff out. Anyway, I thought I'd share my latest blog post on a comic book-related topic: in praise of comic books in lousy condition. Here is my post (http://yaddlezap.com/blog1/), enjoy and comment below with any beat-up or possibly sentimental comics that you own and would like to share.

I still have the first comic I ever read. A beat up issue of Man of Steel #0, with part of the cover chewed off by mice.
    I intend to get rid of it exactly never.

Spectacular Member marvelmaniac6169's Avatar

If it was not for reading copies I never would have been able to afford to complete my runs.

It's been fun. Toodles. Paradox's Avatar

I love and am proud that most of my books are beat the hell out of from reading and rereading. "Collecting" is for suckers. Reading is where it's at.
    'Dox out.

"It’s cold and it’s mean-spirited and I don’t like it here anymore." - Alan Moore

"Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

"And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega

The Conclave group page on Primus (a work in progress)
    Champions: The Conclave (an updating Facebook Gallery)
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

Spectacular Member marvelmaniac6169's Avatar

I Love reading copies, lets see some more pics of those older books in Fair-Good condition.

When I am/was looking for older, more expensive books I have no problem with "Remainder Copies" because it was part of the history of the book and common practice.
    I also have no issue with "Arrival Dates" on the covers, that is also part of the history of the book and was common practice.

AVENGERS 7 (got this in the 80's for 10 cents)

X-MEN 2

AMAZING ADULT FANTASY 7 + 8

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    I love and am proud that most of my books are beat the hell out of from reading and rereading. "Collecting" is for suckers. Reading is where it's at.
    This.

I have nothing against collectors though, and I respect the hell out of their dedication. I'm a collector myself, just not of comics. Comics are something I'll want to read over and over again and just don't have the heart to put them away and never handle them again for fear of ruining them.
    Harley Quinn, New Suicide Squad, Grayson, Batgirl, Red Sonja, The Mighty Thor, Catwoman, Bitch Planet, Secret Six, Silk, Descender, Sabrina, Archie, JLA, DC Bombshells, Black Magick, Paper Girls, Tokyo Ghost, Vampirella, Scarlet Witch, A-Force, Extraordinary X-Men, X-Men '92, The Legend of Wonder Woman, All-New Wolverine, Power Rangers, Hellcat, Monstress, Descender

Incredible Member

Amen on the comics are meant to be read thoughts.

And I have that Daredevil #1 beat. Mine's coverless!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by quinnzel View Post
    This.

I have nothing against collectors though, and I respect the hell out of their dedication. I'm a collector myself, just not of comics. Comics are something I'll want to read over and over again and just don't have the heart to put them away and never handle them again for fear of ruining them.
    You can read comics over and over without damaging them. If you hold the book in one hand and use your fingers to keep it from flopping
    completely open, you can read it without even causing spine stress marks. You only need to handle them with care, unless you're just
    too clumsy to hold a book gently.

It's been fun. Toodles. Paradox's Avatar

I prefer to not care, as long as it can be read. In much the same way I prefer a beat up car that runs, so I don't have to obsessively worry about getting it scratched.
    'Dox out.

"It’s cold and it’s mean-spirited and I don’t like it here anymore." - Alan Moore

"Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

"And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega

The Conclave group page on Primus (a work in progress)
    Champions: The Conclave (an updating Facebook Gallery)
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)