Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 33
  1. #1
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    212

    Default Why was Black Panther named "King of the Dead"?

    Why did Hickman do this? So far it's served no purpose except to have him live in a big, fancy cemetery.

    Did Hickman do this because it will come into play in the fight against incursions? Or maybe so he can stand a chance against Namor?

    A lot of people seem to think that it's a really big power upgrade, but we haven't seen any of that.

    Could it be foreshadowing of an impending death?!

    What do you guys think?

  2. #2
    Invincible Member XPac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    28,818

    Default

    I think a big part of it was to make him a king (of sorts at least) without actually removing Shuri from her role.

    I think marvel wanted to sort of have their cake and eat it too. King of the dead repowers T'Challa and gives him a title (of sorts at least) while still keeping him out of the Wakandan throne which Shuri (who arguably needs it more as a character) is presently sitting on.

  3. #3
    Ultimate Member MindofShadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    16,796

    Default

    Short answer is we do not know yet.

    Hickman did it in HIS F4/FF in preparation for HIS New Avenger run...

    There has to be a reason...

    At the very least, it allowed T'challa to be powered back to his Heart Shaped Herb days. But he could have done that without giving him an actual title that shows up in the beginning of every NA book...

    So..

    wait and see?

    At least it allowed him to say something cool to Black Dwarf before he whooped dat trick.

  4. #4
    Invincible Member XPac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    28,818

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Short answer is we do not know yet.

    Hickman did it in HIS F4/FF in preparation for HIS New Avenger run...

    There has to be a reason...

    At the very least, it allowed T'challa to be powered back to his Heart Shaped Herb days. But he could have done that without giving him an actual title that shows up in the beginning of every NA book...

    So..

    wait and see?

    At least it allowed him to say something cool to Black Dwarf before he whooped dat trick.
    Yeah, if nothing else it allows him to get back to at LEAST his previous power level. And it also justifies calling him the Black Panther, since that's technically Shuri's title now. Really, I think even prior to him being King of the Dead everyone continued calling T'Challa Black Panther anyways. But now in-story, it's a bit more justifable. He's got his own title, without Shuri losing hers.

    And I also agree, he did shoot out a nice line to Black Dwarf.

  5. #5
    Fantastic Member Thad937's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    323

    Default

    I always thought that Black Panther was too similar to Captain America. When they started calling him the King of the Dead I thought that it was a good idea but they never clearly defined his new role and powers. I'm guessing that they will do that at some point?

    http://www.comicvine.com/black-panther/4005-1477/

    The powerful god stood and asked T'Challa what his true desires were once more. He responded by stating that he wanted to serve his people, but he will be whatever Bast wants him to be. Bast then dubbed T'Challa her personal Black Panther and crowned him king of Wakanda's Dead City. She referred to him as "King of the Dead" and stated that he will have the strength and knowledge of every Wakandan king laid to rest in the Necropolis. She also vaguely predicted the events of AvsX.

  6. #6
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    212

    Default

    I've seen some people claim that he can do things like raise the dead. Has there been any evidence of that, or is it fanwank?

  7. #7
    Genesis of A Nemesis KOSLOX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,475

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gregyo View Post
    I've seen some people claim that he can do things like raise the dead. Has there been any evidence of that, or is it fanwank?
    He can confer with the spirits and tap into the wisdom of all the previous (deceased) Black Panthers. He's also regained his HSH(like) abilities. As for raising the dead, no, nothing has been shown in that regard.
    Pull List:

    Marvel Comics: Black Panther, Captain America, X-Men, New Mutants.
    DC Comics: The Green Lantern, Legion of Super-Heroes, Far Sector.

  8. #8
    Veteran Member Mahes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,415

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gregyo View Post
    I've seen some people claim that he can do things like raise the dead. Has there been any evidence of that, or is it fanwank?
    I think that's based off an image for a later issue of New Avengers where he's communing with the prior Kings.

  9. #9
    Invincible Member XPac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    28,818

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gregyo View Post
    I've seen some people claim that he can do things like raise the dead. Has there been any evidence of that, or is it fanwank?
    Yeah, I've heard people mention BP's ability to raise the dead in a few threads here and there... but to my knowledge at least, that's fanwank. In the least I don't believe we've see it.

  10. #10
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,038

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Yeah, I've heard people mention BP's ability to raise the dead in a few threads here and there... but to my knowledge at least, that's fanwank. In the least I don't believe we've see it.
    Has never been mentioned in NA either. It may have happen or been mentioned in some other random title but in NA it really hasn't amounted to much of anything in story. *shrug*

  11. #11

    Default

    It built up some drama for New Avengers by setting up the conflict between him and Shuri, and gave him a power upgrade that made it slightly less ridiculous that he'd be tackling threats with Doctor Strange, Namor and Black Bolt (and now, the Hulk). I mean, even Beast and Reed come out looking useless in fights in New Avengers. Remember when Namor had to shield Beast from Black Bolt's scream in Infinity?
    On ye olde CBR
    Join Date: 2012 Post Count: 6,650

  12. #12
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    212

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut Punch View Post
    It built up some drama for New Avengers by setting up the conflict between him and Shuri, and gave him a power upgrade that made it slightly less ridiculous that he'd be tackling threats with Doctor Strange, Namor and Black Bolt (and now, the Hulk). I mean, even Beast and Reed come out looking useless in fights in New Avengers. Remember when Namor had to shield Beast from Black Bolt's scream in Infinity?
    Yeah, Namor's role in fights has seemed to be getting hit by people who could one-shot everyone else on the team. He's really the most selfless one on the team, but we can discuss that in a different thread.

  13. #13
    Genesis of A Nemesis KOSLOX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,475

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut Punch View Post
    It built up some drama for New Avengers by setting up the conflict between him and Shuri, and gave him a power upgrade that made it slightly less ridiculous that he'd be tackling threats with Doctor Strange, Namor and Black Bolt (and now, the Hulk).
    He's always been the type of character that "fights above his weight class", or at least since the Priest relaunch. Taking out top tier guys is pretty much one of his powers at this point.

    Based on the all important "feats" as a rubric, he's one of the most formidable characters in the MU.
    Pull List:

    Marvel Comics: Black Panther, Captain America, X-Men, New Mutants.
    DC Comics: The Green Lantern, Legion of Super-Heroes, Far Sector.

  14. #14
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,038

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spear of Bashenga View Post
    He's always been the type of character that "fights above his weight class", or at least since the Priest relaunch. Taking out top tier guys is pretty much one of his powers at this point.

    Based on the all important "feats" as a rubric, he's one of the most formidable characters in the MU.
    I think that might be what Juggernaut Punch meant by "Slightly less ridiculous" . Being the "King of the Dead" potentially could make it more believable that he can stand toe to toe with the others and any other threats that come his way would seem less PIS, aka Surfer Armbar.

  15. #15
    Traveler of omniverses Thor-Ul's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Halfway between Asgard & Krypton
    Posts
    2,847

    Default

    T'Challa is King of the dead because he couldn't be President of the dead: the dead are among the greatest apathetic no voters in the world.
    Internet Rule 14: Do not argue with trolls it means they win.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •