Default Superman Doomsday Comixology Sale. Questions for veteran readers inside.

So, Comixology is having a Doomsday sale to promote the ongoing Doomed story in the New 52. As a new reader, I'm still catching up on New52 stuff so I'm not reading Doomed, I have always had an interest in The Death and Return story. I was planning on picking up the Omnibus but now I'm not sure if I should do that or pick up these individual comics.

So for those that have read the series and/or own the Omnibus, does the sale include every component of the event? I'm also aware that the Omnibus is apparently missing JLA#70 which is included in this sale. Is it worth picking the Omnibus for the "bonus extras" and what does that entail? Finally, is it worth reading? I feel like regardless of community reception I should still give this iconic tale a read through despite knowing most of the events contained within but I do want to know what the general consensus is . Is the Reign of Doomsday story that took place a couple years ago worth reading and does it have any impact on future continuity?

Sale - $47.52 ($57.42 with Reign) Omnibus - $62.56

The fact of Digital v. Physical has no real impact with me. Most of my New52 reading is done on a tablet to save space so that's not really a factor for me unless it impacts the actual reading experience.

Thanks you for the help everyone!

Edit: From my Google research it appears that the sale is missing Action Comics #692 and The Legacy of Superman #1 from the Omnibus. Not sure how integral those issues are. Also it looks like the extras are an introduction from Mike Carlin and alternate covers which isn't too important to me.
    Last edited by Bades; 05-11-2014 at 05:59 PM.

Ice Wolf

The digital comics include the entire issues as well i.e. parts not directley related to the main Death/Return Story, I'm not sure if the Omnibus does.

All-New Member

The omnibus only reprints one or two stories from The Legacy of Superman (I think there were around six in the issue). While I enjoy those short stories, there's nothing important that you'll miss out on by not having them. The omnibus does not reprint any of the Supergirl & Team Luthor one-shot that was released in between the Funeral arc, and the Reign of the Supermen (and it isn't available digitally at all). The issue itself is largely forgettable, but in the issue a building falls on Luthor and his leg is in a cast for at least the first several parts of Reign, without the issue you don't know why he's in a cast, but that's a very minor detail and not important to the story. The omnibus only has the first 5 or so pages of Action 692, which serve to explain Clark Kent's absence. JLA 70 doesn't add anything to the story, but it shows the members of the JLA dealing with Superman's death. On a side note, the last 4 or 5 pages of Green Lantern 46 were not originally collected with the story (although I think they are in the omnibus) and do contain spoilers for the resolution of the story in Superman 82.

Is it worth reading? I say absolutely, but I'm a bit biased, this is the story that got me into comics. I re-read it recently, and I think it holds up well. I'm a huge fan of this entire era of Superman though.

I thought the Carlin introduction was fantastic, but that probably has to do more with my love for the era than anything else, someone who comes into the story cold probably won't like it as much as I do.it

As for Reign of Doomsday, I enjoyed it, it was anything near the scale of the Death & Return saga, but it was well-written. It was the final Pre-New 52 story, so its events have zero impact on future continuity. I don't know that I'd recommend it or any of the other books in the sales (Hunter/Prey, Doomsday Wars) without knowing whether or not you enjoyed Death & Return first.

ETA: Forgot one thing, and it's a big one. The Comixology version of Adventures of Superman 500 is incomplete. When the omnibus was originally released (a softcover version around the time of the Superman: Doomsday animated film), it omitted a large part of the Funeral for a Friend storyline, and cut out pieces of Adventures 500 that related to the storylines not included. The Comixology version only has the pages from that release. Because of this, I would highly recommend getting the omnibus over the digital copies.
    Last edited by DanReed; 05-12-2014 at 10:06 AM.

Thanks for the help, Dan!

I ended up going the Omnibus route. I picked up a few issues that weren't included in that and ordered the full Omnibus. Looking forward to reading it soon!

Thanks as well Ice Wolf!