Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    1bulma1

Default Reading Uncanny xmen 410-441 (The Chuck Austen Era)

The Chuck Austen era and I am most say I am enjoying it immensely. I have all the graphic novels and they are a great fun read.

What I will say about Austen's writing is that he makes it easy. his writing is very straight forward and easy to keep you interested. One of the few weakness of Claremont's writing is that at time it can get too preaching and unnecessarily get way to complex to follow or keep me interested at the first read..

Austen does keep it simple and gets right to the point. Austen also knows how to do good (no wait) great soap opera. which is something I love.

the whole Alex, Paige, Bobby, Northstar, Lorna dynamic is just great to read.

Only thing, I will point out is that I dislike (although not hate) the characters of Annie Ghazikhanian and had son Cater. they were just incredibly annoying and got way too much of the spotlight.

Perhaps it is because they were Austen's own creation so he always favored them over the other characters like Lorna who got the short end of the stick because of poor sweet Annie.

It is clear that Austen with great bias favored Annie over Polaris/Lorna why else who he let her get humiliated on her own wedding day. I am happy Milligan wrote Alex into making him regret his decision to leave Lorna at the alter. It was one of the few good things about Milligan's run.

Austen had Lorna humiliated and even more mentally damaged over cute and sweet Annie and her annoying Marty Stu son.A Marty Stu is the opposite male version of a Mary Sue.

I am glad I am not a die hard Alex and Lorna shipper, To their shippers it must have been a nightmare to read.

Now on to other characters.

I enjoyed bobby's drake superiority complex over the other people. Bobby once bragged to nightcrawler about how him, warren, jean, beast and scott were the only real xmen and everyone else were just wannabes.

He also uses this superiority complex to try and bully Juggernaut out of the team even telling Juggernaut he had every right to ask him to leave because he, Bobby was a founding member.

Why I disliked Bobby's superiority complex attitude and lame arrogance over fan favorite characters like Juggernaut and Nightcrawler, I still enjoyed reading it. It gave bobby another dimensional as a character which is a contrast to his usual playboy type..

Warren and Paige was great to read as well, I found their romance very fascinating. Why people may have issue with it, they can at least admit it was well developed.

I also enjoyed north star as well and the relationship between sam (the fish kid) and juggernaut.

One big criticism of Austen run as well is that he is way too darm too liberal and progressive. I am guessing he must be an atheist or hold a lot of far left wing views because all he did was have nightcrawler yell at God and question his faith. He also had Northstar talk to a little mutant kid about his homosexuality. A little kid, to me that was very inappropriate.

But what can I say, overall I have greatly enjoy Austen Run. I am on to volume 3 (holy war).

PEACE.

BANNED

You are pretty much one of the only Xfans that enjoy that run. Kudos.

o

I read the entire Austen run at once some years ago, and found it pretty entertaining.

Maybe he had a few missteps (not to me though) but at least it wasn't boring. Maybe not that fair to compare, since I've had plenty of time to get bored with the X-Men since then and hardly follow any titles these days.

BANNED

I'll take Austen over Morrison anyday.

Mild-Mannered Reporter BlitheringToot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doomuniverse View Post
    I'll take Austen over Morrison anyday.
    Y'know, I kind of have to agree there. Morrison's run started off with incredible potential, and had some truly memorable moments, but as a whole it kind of crashed and burned story-wise ("Planet X" was probably the biggest disappointment of all). Austen made some major missteps himself (the "big reveal" of Joe Casey's Supreme Pontiff character was a real letdown, as was the throwaway death of Skin, Jesse Bedlam, et al), but his stories were indeed an easier and more entertaining read for the most part.

I'm going to up the ante and say his run was also better than Claremont's run that followed--I mean, WHY IN THE WORLD would Bishop deliberately aid in the formation of the X.S.E.?
    "What would you prefer? Yellow spandex?" – Scott Summers, 2000

BANNED

When is it okay to discuss homosexuality with kids, 1bulma1? FYI, this kid hit puberty and had just blown up his house. The existence of homosexuality seems like the least of his problems.

Amazing Member

The innocence of a child should always be protected from the overbearing presence of western homosexuality.

Quote Originally Posted by BlitheringToot View Post
    Y'know, I kind of have to agree there. Morrison's run started off with incredible potential, and had some truly memorable moments, but as a whole it kind of crashed and burned story-wise ("Planet X" was probably the biggest disappointment of all). Austen made some major missteps himself (the "big reveal" of Joe Casey's Supreme Pontiff character was a real letdown, as was the throwaway death of Skin, Jesse Bedlam, et al), but his stories were indeed an easier and more entertaining read for the most part.

I'm going to up the ante and say his run was also better than Claremont's run that followed--I mean, WHY IN THE WORLD would Bishop deliberately aid in the formation of the X.S.E.?
    Lol. So i obviously missed something. Why wouldn't he?

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlitheringToot View Post

I'll never understand the disdain, for Planet X especially given what had transpired before NXM.

Quote Originally Posted by IdaqiBeauty View Post
    When is it okay to discuss homosexuality with kids, 1bulma1? FYI, this kid hit puberty and had just blown up his house. The existence of homosexuality seems like the least of his problems.
    This, I was with the OP, until he/she started with the too "liberal", or "progressive", and no talking to kids about homosexuality when, most of these people claiming its a taboo have no problem with kids knowing or even learning about heterosexuality!

Quote Originally Posted by Celestialbodies View Post
    I'll never understand the disdain, for Planet X especially given what had transpired before NXM.
    Magneto being a weakminded junkie whose couldn't muster worthier troops then Toad and Xorn's special class was my issue with it. Jean dying again wasn't the best plot either. And I'm not a fan of Quitely's rendition of the X-Men.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DurararaFTW View Post
    Magneto being a weakminded junkie whose couldn't muster worthier troops then Toad and Xorn's special class was my issue with it. Jean dying again wasn't the best plot either. And I'm not a fan of Quitely's rendition of the X-Men.
    Good thing Quitely didn't draw Planet X.

BANNED

Thanks to austen mutants are inmune to aids

What a garbage run. Such a shame poor Lorna and Paige had to end up in Austen's hands.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by 1bulma1 View Post
    The Chuck Austen era and I am most say I am enjoying it immensely. I have all the graphic novels and they are a great fun read.

What I will say about Austen's writing is that he makes it easy. his writing is very straight forward and easy to keep you interested. One of the few weakness of Claremont's writing is that at time it can get too preaching and unnecessarily get way to complex to follow or keep me interested at the first read..

Austen does keep it simple and gets right to the point. Austen also knows how to do good (no wait) great soap opera. which is something I love.

the whole Alex, Paige, Bobby, Northstar, Lorna dynamic is just great to read.

Only thing, I will point out is that I dislike (although not hate) the characters of Annie Ghazikhanian and had son Cater. they were just incredibly annoying and got way too much of the spotlight.

Perhaps it is because they were Austen's own creation so he always favored them over the other characters like Lorna who got the short end of the stick because of poor sweet Annie.

It is clear that Austen with great bias favored Annie over Polaris/Lorna why else who he let her get humiliated on her own wedding day. I am happy Milligan wrote Alex into making him regret his decision to leave Lorna at the alter. It was one of the few good things about Milligan's run.

Austen had Lorna humiliated and even more mentally damaged over cute and sweet Annie and her annoying Marty Stu son.A Marty Stu is the opposite male version of a Mary Sue.

I am glad I am not a die hard Alex and Lorna shipper, To their shippers it must have been a nightmare to read.

Now on to other characters.

I enjoyed bobby's drake superiority complex over the other people. Bobby once bragged to nightcrawler about how him, warren, jean, beast and scott were the only real xmen and everyone else were just wannabes.

He also uses this superiority complex to try and bully Juggernaut out of the team even telling Juggernaut he had every right to ask him to leave because he, Bobby was a founding member.

Why I disliked Bobby's superiority complex attitude and lame arrogance over fan favorite characters like Juggernaut and Nightcrawler, I still enjoyed reading it. It gave bobby another dimensional as a character which is a contrast to his usual playboy type..

Warren and Paige was great to read as well, I found their romance very fascinating. Why people may have issue with it, they can at least admit it was well developed.

I also enjoyed north star as well and the relationship between sam (the fish kid) and juggernaut.

One big criticism of Austen run as well is that he is way too darm too liberal and progressive. I am guessing he must be an atheist or hold a lot of far left wing views because all he did was have nightcrawler yell at God and question his faith. He also had Northstar talk to a little mutant kid about his homosexuality. A little kid, to me that was very inappropriate.

But what can I say, overall I have greatly enjoy Austen Run. I am on to volume 3 (holy war).

PEACE.

The problem with Austen's run isn't really his plots for the most part...it's the massive mischaracterization pretty much across the board...the bizarre and sometimes creepy romances and whatnot...something he continued in his brief Avengers run...he's just terrible at it.

That said, I'd agree Morrison's run was far worse if only because it had much more far reaching effects...that run is still crapping on the characters even now.

Quote Originally Posted by Project Initiative Cascada View Post
    What a garbage run. Such a shame poor Lorna and Paige had to end up in Austen's hands.
    Austen at least made Lorna Mags' daughter again.