Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

It was awful. It's the only run of the x-men i haven't read since it came out. I remember every month i went to the comic shop and i bought it even though i hated it because i wanted to have a complete collection. Nurse Annie was awful and her kid also, the Draco storyline was stupid, the sky-sex with angel and paige garbage, squid boy-Jugernaut completely **** (thank god he died). Terrible!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MrSinister View Post
    It was awful. It's the only run of the x-men i haven't read since it came out. I remember every month i went to the comic shop and i bought it even though i hated it because i wanted to have a complete collection. Nurse Annie was awful and her kid also, the Draco storyline was stupid, the sky-sex with angel and paige garbage, squid boy-Jugernaut completely **** (thank god he died). Terrible!
    That whole era in the x-books was terrible in my opinion...bad options all around.

Mild-Mannered Reporter BlitheringToot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IdaqiBeauty View Post
    Good thing Quitely didn't draw Planet X.
    Jimenez's art wasn't very good in that story, either. I liked how he gave Magneto his old-school Neal Adams looks, and he drew a VERY sexy Jean, but other than that ... eh.
    "What would you prefer? Yellow spandex?" – Scott Summers, 2000

Quote Originally Posted by MrSinister View Post
    And then there was Stacy X turning bimbo for no reason at all, Jubilee talking about lost fuckbuddy opportunities at Angelo's grave, writing wish-fulfillment fanfic using his wifey stand-in and favorite character (that would be Nurse Annie and Havok) while dumping on Lorna, and Northstar's homophobic zombie dad, not to mention Austen deciding to write a story arc around religion without doing the least bit of research into the topic...

I'm not gonna dump on people for liking what they like, but that run had some objectively awful flaws in it.
    Last edited by Anduinel; 09-16-2014 at 08:52 AM.

It was awful. I'll never forget how he ruined Stacy X.

He did give us crazy Lorna in a wedding dress, though.

1bulma1

Can you fill me in on Austen's wife been annie. I hate when this happens only Joss whedon can do stand in for characters and make it work. Carey was lousy at it. you could tell that in his run. Carey himself was Magneto and rogue was his wish or dream girl.

Joss whedon had a thing for kitty as well but at least he wrote her well and was able not to make kitty a stand in wish fulfillment for his wife or himself.

Overall I can not fault Austen on a large scale ,His run was a fun read. almost like a soap opera that was interesting and addictive.
    Last edited by 1bulma1; 09-16-2014 at 10:33 AM.

I miss Stacy X, and also felt Austen kinda wrecked her.

I actually liked Nurse Annie, although her interest in comatose Alex DOES seem awfully creepy in retrospect. Did we ever find out who Carter's dad was? Because Xavier seemed pretty freaked out (my guess was possibly Shadow King). Austen also wrote Juggernaut well (despite depowering him ... AGAIN), and is probably the only writer who has managed to make Northstar likable.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlitheringToot View Post
    I miss Stacy X, and also felt Austen kinda wrecked her.

I actually liked Nurse Annie, although her interest in comatose Alex DOES seem awfully creepy in retrospect. Did we ever find out who Carter's dad was? Because Xavier seemed pretty freaked out (my guess was possibly Shadow King). Austen also wrote Juggernaut well (despite depowering him ... AGAIN), and is probably the only writer who has managed to make Northstar likable.
    I don't think he wrote Juggernaut well at all...he was the one that gave us the running joke that was She Hulk hooking up with Juggernaut (Dan Slott did wonders with that one though)...and I still don't think anyone has ever made Northstar likeable.

It truly was a magical era where the possibilities were endless for Polaris. Austen put Polaris on the map and for that, he is our hero.

Quote Originally Posted by grinningdemon View Post
    I don't think he wrote Juggernaut well at all...he was the one that gave us the running joke that was She Hulk hooking up with Juggernaut (Dan Slott did wonders with that one though)...and I still don't think anyone has ever made Northstar likeable.
    I loved the Juggernaut-centric issue (with art by Kia Asamiya) where Cain told Sammy at the end, "We're gonna go live in a mansion."

As for Northstar, I KNOW, RIGHT?!!! I couldn't believe his wedding issue got so much hype. I get that it's kind of a big deal from a societal standpoint, and if it had been ANY other LGBT character I would have understood it, but NOBODY I know of cares about or even likes Northstar.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    And then there was Stacy X turning bimbo for no reason at all, Jubilee talking about lost fuckbuddy opportunities at Angelo's grave, writing wish-fulfillment fanfic using his wifey stand-in and favorite character (that would be Nurse Annie and Havok) while dumping on Lorna, and Northstar's homophobic zombie dad, not to mention Austen deciding to write a story arc around religion without doing the least bit of research into the topic...

I'm not gonna dump on people for liking what they like, but that run had some objectively awful flaws in it.
    To be fair, Claremont is lauded as a genius, yet probably had more WTF stories and plot points than anyone.

New JerZ. You KNOW something! Tell me what you know!

While his run was entertaining in all the wrong ways, it is without a doubt one of the more sad runs on Uncanny.
    Every female characters goal was to get laid in his book. Northstar became a caricature for homosexuality rather than a character.
    Nurse Annie and her son... ugh.
    Havok and Iceman being totally useless dudebro tools (I guess this was more in character than not, though).
    Lorna was the best part of this run and she was handled HORRIBLY.

Morrison's run should not be compared to Austen's ever. It is, without a doubt, one of the greatest [Morrison's] run in the franchise's history.
    Author of X-Forums.

Follow Goddess on Instagram.

Austin gets a ton of flak for that run I do not feel he deserves. It's mostly decent. He's a bizarre writer at times, but there have been much worse that were tolerated for far longer.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlitheringToot View Post
    I loved the Juggernaut-centric issue (with art by Kia Asamiya) where Cain told Sammy at the end, "We're gonna go live in a mansion."

As for Northstar, I KNOW, RIGHT?!!! I couldn't believe his wedding issue got so much hype. I get that it's kind of a big deal from a societal standpoint, and if it had been ANY other LGBT character I would have understood it, but NOBODY I know of cares about or even likes Northstar.
    Yeah, the hype about Northstar's wedding had nothing to do with Northstar.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ScottSummers View Post
    To be fair, Claremont is lauded as a genius, yet probably had more WTF stories and plot points than anyone.
    And the WTF stories are all he does anymore.