Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Goddess View Post
    While his run was entertaining in all the wrong ways, it is without a doubt one of the more sad runs on Uncanny.
    Every female characters goal was to get laid in his book. Northstar became a caricature for homosexuality rather than a character.
    Nurse Annie and her son... ugh.
    Havok and Iceman being totally useless dudebro tools (I guess this was more in character than not, though).
    Lorna was the best part of this run and she was handled HORRIBLY.

Morrison's run should not be compared to Austen's ever. It is, without a doubt, one of the greatest [Morrison's] run in the franchise's history.
    Actually, Morrison's and Austen's run are really easy to compare...aside from the fact that they went on at the same time, they both suffered from the same problems with nonsensical stories and writers with a complete lack of understanding for the characters they were writing.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ScottSummers View Post
    Austin gets a ton of flak for that run I do not feel he deserves. It's mostly decent. He's a bizarre writer at times, but there have been much worse that were tolerated for far longer.
    Such as?

That run just seemed to go on forever...and, just when you thought it was over, they moved him over to the other book and let him keep going.

RE: the OP

People who say 'liberal' and 'progressive' as though they're negative words always baffle me - can they hear themselves? Madness.

Children need to be spoken to about homosexuality because I then makes it less of a mystery or an inherently secret/shameful thing as many adults would have children believe.

1bulma1

Is Morison any better. he wrecked and destroyed the scott and jean romance. the central romance of xmen.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by 1bulma1 View Post
    Is Morison any better. he wrecked and destroyed the scott and jean romance. the central romance of xmen.
    And now all the Cyclops haters are going to go ballistic on you...be warned.

New JerZ. You KNOW something! Tell me what you know!

Quote Originally Posted by grinningdemon View Post
    Actually, Morrison's and Austen's run are really easy to compare...aside from the fact that they went on at the same time, they both suffered from the same problems with nonsensical stories and writers with a complete lack of understanding for the characters they were writing.
    Morrison had no problem with characterization.

Austen's whole run was an, awfully handeled, argument against Catholicism. In his world, gay men will be attracted to anyone with a penis (forget about personality), chicks are only interested in being sexed by their male counterparts and jump in relationships as soon as a guy winks and have sex in front of their parents.

Morrison's run took the franchise and it's themes to the next level. The best run since original Claremont.
    Author of X-Forums.

Follow Goddess on Instagram.

Astonishing Member

Morrison had no problem with characterization.
    The only characters he got right were the ones he created...the rest made it seem like he'd never even read an X-Men story.

Austen's whole run was an, awfully handeled, argument against Catholicism. In his world, gay men will be attracted to anyone with a penis (forget about personality), chicks are only interested in being sexed by their male counterparts and jump in relationships as soon as a guy winks and have sex in front of their parents.
    This part I more or less agree with.

Morrison's run took the franchise and it's themes to the next level. The best run since original Claremont.
    What he did was write the X-franchise into a corner that lead to Decimation & M day. There were some elements of his overall plots that were decent but it was so heavy handed and such an abrupt change that it just didn't even seem like the X-Men anymore. The only good thing about it was character status quo when it ended...but how he got from point A to point B was total crap. I just said this in another thread recently but even most of the art on that run sucked...Quitely is one of the most overrated artists in comics and even the better artists that came after him couldn't make the terrible character designs look good.

Quote Originally Posted by grinningdemon View Post
    The only characters he got right were the ones he created...the rest made it seem like he'd never even read an X-Men story.
    He did an okay Xavier. Or maybe I just think that because it came in between Onslaught and the mid 00's parade of retconned-in dark secret sins of Xavier and it just looks okay by comparison.

All-New Member

Austen's run is a gift that keeps on giving.

Annie and her Magneto love child, Polaris rampaging at her wedding in her makeshift cutlery Magneto costume, Angel and Paige having mid air sex right above Ma Guthrie, and all the other wtf moments are all priceless gifts.

Isn't he the same writer that had Havok peeing on Iceman?
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 09-16-2014 at 03:47 PM.

Mild-Mannered Reporter BlitheringToot's Avatar

Psycho Lorna was fun, though, and set the stage for PAD making it even MORE fun (scaring the crap out of Gambit AND his kittens--FOR SHAME!).
    "What would you prefer? Yellow spandex?" – Scott Summers, 2000

Just a reminder: Rude or offensive behavior doesn't give you permission to be rude and insulting in reply, to mock or encourage mocking behavior, or to ride the dogpile toward a user's imminent banning. In this case one user's comments/behavior got him in trouble, and three others needlessly followed him down. "Report or ignore, don't engage" is in the rules for that very reason. Either let us handle it or move along. Thanks.

Now back to your thread, already in progress...
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

"okay, you know the mutant human guy who's constantly being feared and hated just because he looks like a demon of some kind? so, get this: he's actually a demon! Invalidates the message of X-Men? No no, see it's just... like... well his dad is a demon! Get it??"

To be fair I haven't actually read the Austen era so maybe it was handled better than I've heard and my snap judgment has supported.

I like Austen era, he created Azazel (who isn't a demon hes a mutant who thinks hes a demon, like Apocalypse thinks hes a god) and crazy Lorna

Ultimate Member

It was garbage:

-Nurse Annie was a horrible character, and her "romance" with Havok was creppy as heck.
    -Ruining Stacy X.
    -The whole creepy Angel/Husk thing (especially the mid-air sex romp in front of their teammates/her mother).
    -Polaris going crazy for lame reasons.
    -Female characters all being crazy, useless, sex-obsessed, or some combination of the three.
    -The Draco.
    -Doing an entire story centered around Catholicism when it's clear that he doesn't know thing 1 about Catholicism and didn't bother to do any kind of legitimate research on the topic.
    -Etc

It was a trainwreck of a run.

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

Chuck Austen wrote an awesome Polaris which is all that matters to me.