Super Moderator

Default Intergalactic Titans Tussle in Starlin's "Thanos Vs. Hulk"

Writer/artist Jim Starlin tells CBR about pitting "Thanos Vs. Hulk" in a new miniseries that also sets the stage for Starlin's next Marvel project.

Full article here.

Really looking forward to this story. The fact that it will have some levity and a reappearance of Pip as well as my favorite hero and villain in Marvel is must for me. December is snailing it's way here.

Can't wait for this.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

That chest hair is really distracting.[/elephant in the room]

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    That chest hair is really distracting.[/elephant in the room]
    Eh, Hulk's been drawn with chest hair before.

Comic artists often omit both chest hair and nipples off of any barechested male character (unless like Wolverine the hairiness of the character is one of their trademarks) but that doesn't mean the characters aren't supposed to be considered to be reptiles or something.

Amazing Member

I was really liking the Savage Hulk series. Not a fan of it being replaced by a Hulk based off Waid's. Still gonna give it a chance.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ptrvc View Post
    Eh, Hulk's been drawn with chest hair before.

Comic artists often omit both chest hair and nipples off of any barechested male character (unless like Wolverine the hairiness of the character is one of their trademarks) but that doesn't mean the characters aren't supposed to be considered to be reptiles or something.
    I didn't say he's never had chest hair, I'm saying it looks weird with Starlin.

Basically, despite the era this is centered around, he's drawn very much his own takes on them. Which isn't actually bad, of course.

Fantastic Member

After reading this article, I am still puzzled as to when it is supposed to be taking place. Way back when Thanos first appeared, I can see him being a foe whom the Hulk could, maybe, defeat in battle. The Thanos I'm talking about is the one who took on Thor and the Thing in Marvel Two-In-One Annual. At that time, Spiderman freed Thor (and the Avengers) because Thor was the only one he thought could (possibly) stand up to Thanos.

The Thanos of today, however, is far too powerful for the Hulk. So, is this story taking place in that earlier era, or are we expected to forget about Thanos' many power up-grades over the years?

Of course, Starlin's take on these things is a bit weird. In the recent "Infinity Revelation", Starlin had Thanos beat Beta Ray Bill to a pulp and completely humiliate the rest of the Annihilators, for no good reason other than he could (i.e, Starlin was allowed to do this by the editors). Oddly, Thanos seemed most concerned about facing Gladiator and actually actively avoided that confrontation. As much as I like seeing Gladiator get some much-needed and deserved respect, this element of the story doesn't make much sense. Gladiator is about the same power level as Bill, though maybe more formidable when everything is factored in, and Bill is the equal of Thor.

Mighty Member America / Bucky / Russia's Avatar

Last year is "sometime in Hulk's past"? Huh, okay. Not what I was expecting.

BANNED

Am I the only one satisfied that Starlin recognizes and respects how powerful Hulk is? Am I the only glad that Thanos knows and realizes how powerful and formidable of a threat that the Hulk is? Well, I am! Sick of these nay-sayers and Hulk-haters claiming that beings like Thanos & Mangog are out of Hulk's league, which they're not! Ah, it feels so good to see them proven wrong.

Lol

"Well, anyone who has followed my career at Marvel will know that when I come back to do work with them, though it might look like I'm doing a Captain Marvel, Warlock or Silver Surfer series, in reality I've returned to do another Thanos story."

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by agrich View Post
    Lol

"Well, anyone who has followed my career at Marvel will know that when I come back to do work with them, though it might look like I'm doing a Captain Marvel, Warlock or Silver Surfer series, in reality I've returned to do another Thanos story."
    Yeah that was pretty hilarious. Not like we couldnt tell but its nice to see the honesty.

Am I the only one satisfied that Starlin recognizes and respects how powerful Hulk is? Am I the only glad that Thanos knows and realizes how powerful and formidable of a threat that the Hulk is? Well, I am! Sick of these nay-sayers and Hulk-haters claiming that beings like Thanos & Mangog are out of Hulk's league, which they're not! Ah, it feels so good to see them proven wrong.
    Think Starlin has always had a ton of respect for the (Savage) Hulk. He had Thanos compare him to the Power Gem wielding Champion (who was repeatedly stated as being capable of accessing infinite amounts of strength/power) and put in that famous statement about it being a fight Thanos chose to avoid. Also wrote "The Big Change" which is a fantastically fun little book that reveals a lot of affection for the childlike Hulk.