Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cost of comics

Mighty Member

Default cost of comics

I did a thread like this before but hear me out. With marvel putting a ton of books a month and a few at 2.99 and the rest at 3.99.Should Marvel rethink this and make more 2.99 while still Keeping most at 3.99.I don't know if this is heathey or not for Marvel.But would it make that much of a Diference for Marvel sales wise
    Last edited by fin5; 09-16-2014 at 10:06 AM.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Didn't DC keep a lot more titles at $2.99 than Marvel did? Seems to me the number is dwindling every month.

Amazing Member

I'm more likely to give a new $2.99 book a shot than I would a $3.99 one.

Mighty Member

I don't mind the cost I was wondering if it would be wise to have some 2.99 considering the comics marvel is putting out
    I mean marvel is doing good Business so whats stopping them
    Last edited by fin5; 09-16-2014 at 11:19 AM.

All-New Member

i just buy codes at half price, it's win/win, the guy I buy it from gets the physical copy and I get the digital copy, both of us pay half price, $2. Only works with $3.99 books though, but I use Unlimited app for the rest after 6 months.

Extraordinary Member

Keeping titles at $2.99 did not seem to prevent them from losing readership. $3.99 may arguably sell a few less titles even for their top titles but they probably remain more profitable over their lifespan at that price. While I would like to believe that $2.99 across the board would boost sales for everything that would require Marvel to drastically alter the approach to take to the whole line.

BANNED

I don't know why fans insist on believing that cheaper comic books will increase sales. If someone wants comics bad enough, they will pay for it regardless of the price.

Quote Originally Posted by fin5 View Post
    I did a thread like this before but hear me out. With marvel putting a ton of books a month and a few at 2.99 and the rest at 3.99.Should Marvel rethink this and make more 2.99 while still Keeping most at 3.99.I don't know if this is heathey or not for Marvel.But would it make that much of a Diference for Marvel sales wise
    tey charges as muchas they can get away with without losing net income due to decreased sales, that is normally how the price of everything for sale is determined

If peole stop buying a the more expeseive boks the will lower the prices, but until then they are doing what they are paid to do: make money

Mighty Member

Are you Mocking me?

This is probably the number one reason I stopped reading Marvel. $3.99 for one issue is hard to justify.

Honestly... I think $2.99 is too much. However, I can do nothing about it. I just begrudgingly pay the stupid price and grumble about it under my breath as I leave the comic shop...

Are you Mocking me?
    No, explain how the law of supply and demand works,

Quote Originally Posted by mattbearpig View Post
    I'm more likely to give a new $2.99 book a shot than I would a $3.99 one.
    Absolutely, me too.

Yeah, I started a thread like this in the old forum, asking whether or not there was a threshold at which point folks would just not pay anymore.

I'm rapidly approaching mine. I had one guy tell me that he MIGHT stop buying comics when they hit $20.00 an issue, which really makes me consider where I stand in the economic ladder! Most people just sort of said they'd keep buying regardless, but surely everyone has a point at which they just can't justify a half hour of entertainment at an increasingly exorbitant price?

For me, comics are rapidly approaching the point where I will be priced out on single issues. I am invested in Jonathan Hickman's run on Avengers/New Avengers, and so I'm willing to pay when they do their 40-page $4.99 issues every once in awhile, but after that run is done, I imagine I'll be done with most $3.99 books, with the known exceptions of Captain Marvel, Miles Morales, and any potential Black Panther title. What I try to do is try any particular title I want, and if I like it, I look at the price:

$2.99 - Put in on the pull
    $3.50 - Determine if it's something I want to read each and every month. If so, put it on the Pull, if not put it in my trade-wait list.
    $3.99 - Is it a title that I think will need my monthly support to keep it alive? I've pretty much decided that once I'm done with Hickman's run, the main team titles (Avengers, X-Men) will not need my monthly purchase, and so I can trade wait. If it's a female or minority lead, or something niche, I'll then compare it to anything else on my pull, and if two titles scratch a similar niche, I pick one. This happened earlier this year, between Elektra, Black Widow, and Velvet (Image comic). I knew I'd feel over-saturated reading three female led "spy/assassin" books, so I made the decision to cut one of them. It ended up being Black Widow that fell through the cracks.

With a hobby this pricey, I think a good amount of analysis and judgment has to go into your purchase decisions.