Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Emerald 23 View Post
    That would be cool to see imo for at least 5 years to build up a respectable resume for val as the first and only dude to take over as the new full time Superman in the main universe. Once kal-el comes back, val can take over the action comics book and possibly get a spot on the jsa whenever they come back. All of this would have to be handled properly though.
    I don't see that happening. They backlash would be epic.

DC does need to build up Val, but I don't see them going that route.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    I don't see that happening. They backlash would be epic.

DC does need to build up Val, but I don't see them going that route.
    True, there's bound to be a lot of backlash, but I don't think it's a risk that DC can't take. I emphasize that it has to be handled properly; I don't want to see Val pull up on Lois or try to be Jon's father, I don't want him to have a job at the Daily Planet, I don't want him living with the Kents. None of the other members of Team Super should just automatically accept him and call him family right off the bat without getting to know him over a prolonged period of time. He should bring something new and unique to the Superman role, but still be in line with what Superman is all about. I want something along the lines of how they handled Kyle Rayner as the new GL, where he had his own mythos created for him, but there were still callbacks to his predecessors and their lore. The true question is WILL they take this risk? Idk, maybe, most likely not......

I know all of this stuff is a no brainer for everyone on here, just felt it needed to be made clear in case anybody from DC is lurking.

That would be cool to see imo for at least 5 years to build up a respectable resume for val as the first and only dude to take over as the new full time Superman in the main universe. Once kal-el comes back, val can take over the action comics book and possibly get a spot on the jsa whenever they come back. All of this would have to be handled properly though.
    DC should just make Val his own thing like how Marvel has done with Miles. Maybe Val could temporarily replace Kal as a stepping stone to greater relevancy though.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    DC should just make Val his own thing like how Marvel has done with Miles. Maybe Val could temporarily replace Kal as a stepping stone to greater relevancy though.
    Yeah, my thoughts exactly. They both go by "Superman", but one (Kal-El) is on the 'Superman' book and the JL book, while the other one (Val-Zod) is on the Action Comics book and the JSA book. Kinda like Jay Garrick/Barry Allen or Alan Scott/Hal Jordan. I'd be content with that since Val would be literally the only noteworthy black character at DC getting a consistent push, a bonus at that since he would be in 2 books with him being the star of one (Action Comics). All this AFTER Val has had his time as the new sole Superman of the main universe, but the reason for Kal not being able to carry on as Superman has to be a darn good one (not including death). Maybe he could take Lois and Jon with him on a mandatory quest in space under a new name in order to free up some space for Val on Earth and to give the Kal fans a side book so they can still keep up with what he's doing.
    Last edited by Cosmic Emerald 23; 11-07-2018 at 12:24 AM.

Extraordinary Member

I'd be happy if Val joined the JSA proper, before attempting a solo.

I guess it all depends on how the JSA will be brought back, and how Val gets introduced in current continuity.

Would anyone mind if the E2 Val is not used, but one from main Earth?

Would he be Kryptonian, of from Daxam?

I guess it all depends on how the JSA will be brought back, and how Val gets introduced in current continuity.

I'd actually be interested in seeing a main Earth version of Val. That way when there's a multiversal crossover, we get two Vals that can differ from each other personality wise and appearance wise, offering a cool character dynamic between the two. But on the other hand, I think he should be the E2 one because bringing him into main Earth to be the new Superman would have more weight to it and not come off as forced since he already took over as Superman on E2.

For me, he's gotta be Kryptonian. Imo making him a Daxamite would give writers an excuse to push him to the back (just look where Mon-El is now lol), and it just wouldn't feel right if any Superman was anything other than Kryptonian.

Astonishing Member

Hmm...I don't know, one of the biggest things I like about E2 Val was his pacifistic nature, he's even more of this than Kal-L. I don't see how he can retain that same ideology in main earth continuity with his parents being....well....not really the friendliest people on the planet lol.

For those interested Val will play an important role in my DC/Marvel Crossover fanfic story "Legion of Superheroes" from the present chapter onward -

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1301484...of-Superheroes

If so inclined, enjoy.

Extraordinary Member

I'd actually be interested in seeing a main Earth version of Val. That way when there's a multiversal crossover, we get two Vals that can differ from each other personality wise and appearance wise, offering a cool character dynamic between the two. But on the other hand, I think he should be the E2 one because bringing him into main Earth to be the new Superman would have more weight to it and not come off as forced since he already took over as Superman on E2.

For me, he's gotta be Kryptonian. Imo making him a Daxamite would give writers an excuse to push him to the back (just look where Mon-El is now lol), and it just wouldn't feel right if any Superman was anything other than Kryptonian.
    E2 Val would give the title of "strange visitor" more weight.

I love Mon El, too.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    Hmm...I don't know, one of the biggest things I like about E2 Val was his pacifistic nature, he's even more of this than Kal-L. I don't see how he can retain that same ideology in main earth continuity with his parents being....well....not really the friendliest people on the planet lol.
    Sometimes the apple can fall pretty far from the tree.

Look at J. Jonah Jameson & his son, John.

Val pleasantly reminds me of the Christopher Reeve version of Superman (a do-gooder who does not solve problems with his fists).

Chapter seven of my Justice League/Avengers crossover story "Legion of Superheroes" posted. As Earth faces invasion an unprepared Val must rise to the challenge -

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1301484...of-Superheroes

If so inclined, enjoy.