Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Covers were so much more awesome back then as well. Every cover is like "whoa". A simplicity and complexity merged into one. Now, a lot of times i'm not feeling the effort into the covers although there are some great ones still.
    Last edited by SXVA; 11-28-2014 at 10:30 PM.
    I wanna ditch the logical... don't let me let you go...., living for the only thing i know, hanging by a moment... nom nom coffee nom nom tea.

Retired

ADVENTURE COMICS just might be the most fascinating title that DC ever published.

Beginning as NEW COMICS, it was the second ongoing title that Major Malcolm published--after NEW FUN which eventually became MORE FUN COMICS. In its first hundred issues NEW/ADVENTURE COMICS changed its identity several times--featuring high adventure, then the Sandman, Hourman, Starman, Manhunter.

In its second hundred issues, it became a vehilcle for Superboy, as well as Green Arrow, Aquaman and Johnny Quick; in its third hundred issues, Johnny Quick dropped out but it maintained its identity as a Superboy book.

But in its fourth hundred issues it became a mainstay for the Legion of Super-Heroes, before giving way to Supergirl.

Then in its last hundred issues, it went through a breath-taking number of identity changes. The title transitioned from Supergirl to high adventure to mystery and horror to Aquaman, Superboy again, then a Dollar Comic (including the JSA), to Starman III/Plastic Man/Aquaman to Dial 'H' for Hero to finally a Digest Comic featuring reprints of the LSH.

60s /70s Teen Titans and Justice League of America were my favorite older comics when first reading.

"History of the DC Universe" by Wolfman and Perez, when the DCU use to make sense.

I collect Bronze Age DC comics from about 1970 to about 1985.

I have virtually all Superman, Flash, Green Lantern, Aquaman, Atom, Hawkman, and JLA issues of that time. (I have reprints of all Silver Age issues of these properties too.) DC's war and horror were the best on the market.

My favorites at that time were all "giant" comics of one type or another. Those 100 pagers were awesome! I loved reading new stories and then getting a taste of the old stuff. The tabloid-size comics were incredible too. The two Superman-Spiderman and Batman-Hulk are just as beautiful today as they were back then.

I mostly seek out artists these days. Neal Adams, Jose Luis Garcia Lopez, Ross Andru (his work improved greatly in the mid-70s), Mike Grell, Dick Giordano, Jim Aparo. I also have a fondness for Dick Dillon and Irv Novick's work.

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    All-Star Squadron is one of the best titles DC ever published.
    Yep. Roy Thomas did a great job putting that series together.

The cover of the first issue is one of my all-time favorites.

(My only beef is this is where Roy started all that "legacy" business which I think is absolutely ruining the DCU.)

My old favorites are : Steve Englehart Dick Dillin JLA, Paul Levitz Joe Staton JSA, Jim Shooter Mike Grell Legion.
    Last edited by colonyofcells; 11-29-2014 at 12:40 PM.

The Pine Barrens NJ in Summer & Winter & Salem Mass. in Spring & Autumn

My favorites were anything with Aquaman,Robin,Speedy,Mon-El,Superboy,and Johnny Quick so you can guess I would have loved to have seen an All Star Squadron,Teen Titans,and Superboy & the Legion of Superheroes crossover.

Dc comics presents, Brave and the bold, The Spectre vol. 1, 70's Batman/Detective comics.