All-New Member

Default The 1990 Spider-Man Cartoon

Am I the only one that misses it?

http://wp.me/p4weBy-1z

No sir. You are not.

Although I own it all on DVD

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Far from the only one. Frankly, if you took the character development and exploration and amazing adaptations and usages of various characters in Spider-Man's history of the 1990s series and combined all that with the improvements in animation that have been made over the last two decades while extracting the more annoying bits of censorship that kept the writers from admitting outright that dead characters were actually dead or wouldn't allow anyone to throw a punch (that actually connected), you'd have the best damn Spider-Man series ever that wasn't Spectacular Spider-Man.

Oh, and what forever made me a fan of the 1990s Spider-Man series? The last two episodes, which had Spider-Man careening through multiple parallel realities each representing an alternative course his life could have taken to save all existence from being obliterated by a completely maddened version of himself that had suffered through not only the loss of his beloved Uncle Ben and Aunt May, but also snapped from an identity crisis prompted by the existence of his clone Ben Reilly and the influence of the Carnage symbiote. One of the realities visited by Spider-Man was a reality where Uncle Ben had never died and Peter Parker had gone on to become a superhero and billionaire industrialist known and loved by the public in both identities, with J. Jonah Jameson as his godfather, Gwen Stacy as his fiancee, Anna Watson actually liking him, and the Kingpin as his lawyer. That last one backfired when that world's Wilson Fisk turned out to have aligned himself with Spider-Carnage under the belief that they would take over the native Peter Parker's resources and use them to create a global empire.

And how was Spider-Carnage foiled? By having a talk with the aforementioned still-living alternate Uncle Ben that reminded him of the hero and good man that he really was, trapped deep within the hate-filled, twisted husk of Spider-Carnage. Sadly, when he couldn't force the symbiote off him, he chose to jump into the deliberately destabilized dimensional gateway he'd been planning to use to swallow that reality whole, vaporizing himself and thus protecting all existence from the threat he'd posed, just like the hero he'd always been. Then our Peter and the alternate Uncle Ben had one last moment together, and in the final minutes, Spider-Man actually met Stan Lee (from a reality, presumably our own, where he was nothing but a fictional character who'd been serialized for years and had TV series based on him) and confessed to him that for all he'd been through and all that he could have been, he actually liked his life and himself and wouldn't change a thing about either. Stan was pleasantly surprised, saying that Spidey didn't sound like the character he'd been writing all these years, and Spidey's beautifully simple response was: "Well, Stan, we all have to grow up some time, I suppose. Even us characters of fiction."

Now that's how you end a series, paying tribute to everything Spider-Man was and is and could have been and represents for all of us. Animation and censorship issues aside, plus the occasionally overly melodramatic bit, this is why the 1990s Spider-Man animated series will always have a place in my heart.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Saw the show from start to finish a while ago, it's a really fun show
    I amused myself with the idea of a spinoff to this show, Peter marries MJ, he graduates college, works in a lab that does not belong to people trying to frame him

I loved this show as a kid. Yeah it hasn't really aged well, but it's pretty much the reason I got into Spider-man.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

I watched it alot growing up, but I gotta say, I didn't love it like most did. It was Spider-Man, and I liked it for that reason, but I never really got into it that much. Dunno why.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DaltonL227 View Post
    I watched it alot growing up, but I gotta say, I didn't love it like most did. It was Spider-Man, and I liked it for that reason, but I never really got into it that much. Dunno why.
    Nice Spider-Man Unlimited icon.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

A Green Unpleasant Man Rob London's Avatar

I loved it as a kid. It got me interested in Spider-Man, and obviously I stayed interested. But it really, really doesn't hold up.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Nice Spider-Man Unlimited icon.
    I was a huge fan of the classic costume design they used for all of... 16 minutes in the first episode? I hated the actual show, I couldn't get into the whole "Counter-Earth" idea.

Pretty much my gateway to the greater Marvel U

Daredevil, Dr. Strange, Blade, Punisher, and so many other great guest appearances.

Quote Originally Posted by asdelgado View Post
    Am I the only one that misses it?

http://wp.me/p4weBy-1z
    It was the show that really got me into Spider-Man. Pretty well done and a fun ride. That being said though Spectacular Spider-Man surpasses it as the best in my eyes.

Oh-kay-- "1990" had no spider-man animated series, lol..